• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 9:10 pm
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
53 posts
4 upvotes

Winter clothing for 1st time in Toronto

Hi Guys,

I am new in Toronto and this will be my first winters.

I would like to know what are the essentials to get for winters. I would be walking for good 10 - 15 mins in total.

here are the things that I have got-
1) Northface gotham 3 bomber jacket
2) Eddie bauer down jacket with 700 fill
3) Eddie bauer win breaker

I need to get gloves and which one you would suggest that works with iPhone?
I need winter boots which one to go for? I tried Sorel and Timberlands and they were heavy and uncomfortable.
Would I need a neck warmer?
Would I need to wear thermals inside?

What other things I need to take care and be warm for my first winters in Toronto.

Thanks.
16 replies
Nov 9, 2016
125 posts
54 upvotes
I think you got the bases covered with your list already my friend. The gotham jacket is super warm and you have a strong down filled jacket. In jacket department you are set.

for the boots, I have the Northface boots. They are super warm and comfy but not good for the extended walks. Personally they tend to hurt my knees after I walk a few kilometers.
Heres the Northface shoes I have

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/331622 ... olor%5D=99

For texting gloves you can find a ton of them online on amazon. Just check out the reviews and pick the one that suites your style.

Depending on where your walking I would recommend a scarf or a toque, but I can't see your location so I can't tell.

Overall, I think your off to a good start for your first winter, try softmoc for winter boots also. My brother went there and got some nice ones he said are warm. Your good with the jackets and wind breakers.
Last edited by therealbry on Oct 25th, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 9, 2016
125 posts
54 upvotes
Not sure what your budget is but if your tight for cash try the clearance section of Holister. I found some great deals on there for clothing and I really like how there clothing fits.

H&M and Urban Planet is good too if your on a budget.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3392 posts
618 upvotes
London
Yes you need layers, look for a thermal undershirt and although you don't plan to be out more than 10-15 minutes would be good to get some thermal longjohn type pants just to be on safe side.

something super thin like this for pants and similar for shirt

buy several cool looking toques. your head will sweat and you will want to switch them out.
Banned
Oct 23, 2018
4 posts
2 upvotes
usa
You can check amazon........
I am always serious about my readers from infinite hours of researching and informing to help you get the perfect support that you need to live a better life.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11974 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I have never spent a winter in Toronto. Here r my tips:

For gloves, get a "liner glove" with the finger tip that can be used on touch screens. Then, wear mittens over them.

For base layer, wear merino wool. If u don't want to pay more for merino, buy synthetic.

For neck, wear a scarf or chute/neck warmer/neck gaiter.

For toque, wear a "pocket beanie", which fits under your coat's hood.

You can also opt to wear a balaclava on ur head.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
53 posts
4 upvotes
therealbry wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 10:46 pm
I think you got the bases covered with your list already my friend. The gotham jacket is super warm and you have a strong down filled jacket. In jacket department you are set.

for the boots, I have the Northface boots. They are super warm and comfy but not good for the extended walks. Personally they tend to hurt my knees after I walk a few kilometers.
Heres the Northface shoes I have

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/331622 ... olor%5D=99

For texting gloves you can find a ton of them online on amazon. Just check out the reviews and pick the one that suites your style.

Depending on where your walking I would recommend a scarf or a toque, but I can't see your location so I can't tell.

Overall, I think your off to a good start for your first winter, try softmoc for winter boots also. My brother went there and got some nice ones he said are warm. Your good with the jackets and wind breakers.
Thanks. Do I need to get Canada Goose cause I was not sure so I picked up this one Also, would you recommend to get thermals?
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
53 posts
4 upvotes
snow00774 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 11:06 pm
Yes you need layers, look for a thermal undershirt and although you don't plan to be out more than 10-15 minutes would be good to get some thermal longjohn type pants just to be on safe side.

something super thin like this for pants and similar for shirt

buy several cool looking toques. your head will sweat and you will want to switch them out.
Ohh cool thanks for the advice. Will get some togues.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
53 posts
4 upvotes
What about face? my nose gets super cold in the past few days, I assume it will get worse in peak winters?
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
53 posts
4 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 4:35 pm
I have never spent a winter in Toronto. Here r my tips:

For gloves, get a "liner glove" with the finger tip that can be used on touch screens. Then, wear mittens over them.

For base layer, wear merino wool. If u don't want to pay more for merino, buy synthetic.

For neck, wear a scarf or chute/neck warmer/neck gaiter.

For toque, wear a "pocket beanie", which fits under your coat's hood.

You can also opt to wear a balaclava on ur head.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11974 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
nicotinebar wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 9:53 am
What about face? my nose gets super cold in the past few days, I assume it will get worse in peak winters?
http://nosewarmer.com/shop.html#!/NOSE- ... ort=normal
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3880 posts
5318 upvotes
Ontario
Wearing a scarf across your nose should solve the cold nose issue, especially on those wind-chill days. Vaseline jelly applied to your nostrils will help slow down
dryness from cold exposure.
Seeking shopping sprees or a pot of gold.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1536 posts
309 upvotes
Not actually winter gear, but I find that with a decent walking distance I need an actual backpack (to hold indoor shoes/lunch/etc) - it makes a huge difference freeing your hands and being able to put your hands in your jacket pockets vs having to old multiple bags.

Other than that, you have a warm jacket, get some gloves, the rest you can just buy as you feel it's needed. For winter boots, we don't really get knee-deep snow anymore, so it's not a huge huge issue to get heavy duty shoes. However, for the sake of all the slushy days we get, do make sure you get waterproof/water resistant shoes.
Nov 10, 2018
2 posts
Been in Toronto 2 years and boy oh boy its cold. Kensington Parka it was my choice but my legs are constantly cold.