Fashion & Apparel

Winter Coat opinion? CG VS Northface

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 12:53 pm

Poll: Which is better

• Total votes: 11. You have voted on this poll.
Canada Goose - Chateau Parka

82%
Northface - MEN'S OUTER BOROUGHS PARKA

18%

Poll ended at Oct 24th, 2017 4:21 pm

12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7167 posts
835 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Not waterproof, crappy zippers but cool looking indeed.
Insulated coat are only good if you're standing still, eg waiting for the bus.

If you start walking or doing any form of physical activities, the duck down losses its effectiveness once damp (from your sweating) and takes a long time to dry and cannot be easily washed in the machine without clumping up, needs special detergent and manual fluffing after/during drying or dry cleaning (using a solvent)

I prefer wearing many layers so you can adjust the level of warmth/ventilation.

3-ply outer waterproof (windproof) breathable hardshell (eg GoreTex), an insulation layer with synthetic fill and a base layer, just like when doing outdoor activities, much more versatile.
If you favor fashion over functionality, then each has it pros and cons, the NF isn't as warm, synthetic furr (pro or con depending on how you see it), DWR (durable water repellant treatment, so it will be water resistant in the beginning)

625 and 550 fill are actually not even that warm, even the Costco $50 down jacket has the same amount of fill if not more IIRC.
Nov 2, 2015
177 posts
36 upvotes
Markham
please tell me why only Canada Goose and North Face
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5193 posts
998 upvotes
Montreal
What part of Arctic Canada do you live in?
[OP]
Mar 19, 2016
123 posts
243 upvotes
a16107 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 5:41 pm
please tell me why only Canada Goose and North Face
what do you recommend?
[OP]
Mar 19, 2016
123 posts
243 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 9:47 pm
What part of Arctic Canada do you live in?
Alberta but moved from TN, so not really used to winters beyond the wall
Jul 23, 2010
360 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Canada Goose, the style of my coat appreciated 175% since 2013 from $500 to $900. Not saying I can get back what I paid for it... but seriously that’s crazy cause it’s near identical to current models. It’s also holding up extremely well.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25401 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Daijoubu wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 5:01 pm
I prefer wearing many layers so you can adjust the level of warmth/ventilation.

3-ply outer waterproof (windproof) breathable hardshell (eg GoreTex), an insulation layer with synthetic fill and a base layer, just like when doing outdoor activities, much more versatile.
If you favor fashion over functionality, then each has it pros and cons, the NF isn't as warm, synthetic furr (pro or con depending on how you see it), DWR (durable water repellant treatment, so it will be water resistant in the beginning)
This is the secret to keeping warm in Canada.

... but if fashion and a round patch is more important. Feel free to pay for it.
Nov 2, 2015
177 posts
36 upvotes
Markham
cisconinja wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 12:38 am
Alberta but moved from TN, so not really used to winters beyond the wall
Mackage, Nobis, Moose Knuckle (warm but style may vary), Parajumper etc...
Oct 24, 2017
3 posts
Back when I was using public transit I was using a 3L goretex shell with a merino baselayer and an arc’teryx atom LT and it was fine, didnt feel the cold very much but now that I moved up north and use my car i highly prefer my CG Expedition.. it really depends on your activity.

Stationary = CG
Active = layering system
Oct 6, 2015
797 posts
403 upvotes
Both brands are getting pretty long in the tooth in terms of fashion cachet. Next thing you know it, they'll be selling Canada Goose and North Face stuff at Giant Tiger, and the 'welfare' kids will be wearing it.

Time to find something newer.
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
3 posts
You can already find north face at winners but that wont happen anytime soon for CG lol
Dec 28, 2012
264 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
They are aimed for different market segments.

They will both work, it's just how much you are willing to pay.