• Nov 26th, 2015 12:34 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 17, 2013
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Winter gloves

I'm looking for some really good quality winter gloves. The past two years have been terrible for my fingers - I have exceptionally poor circulation and want gloves that are good for warmth above anything else.

Please let me hace recommendations, I'm looking around stores at gloves, but have no idea how they'd handle the cold.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1387 posts
58 upvotes
Black diamond Mercury mittens

They are my snowboarding gloves but I use them in city of I am wearing parka.

I think I got them for 50 at a snowboard show
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
if you don't mind paying the price, try ones that are down filled.
Aug 17, 2013
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: Mittens are warmer than 5 fingered gloves
Thanks, I honestly had no idea, I assumed it was a preference thing.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Black diamond guide gloves. Personally use these. Rated -30C or so... but they are bulky so you may not like them if u wanna match fashion.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13046 posts
11387 upvotes
I own the North Face Down mitts.. best investment of my life for winter days.. I have the worst circulation ever and this mitt is hands down the best. $100+ for the mitts.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
Costco sells HEAD 5 fingered snow gloves that look like this They vary in design all the time but they're incredibly warm. As someone with poor hand circulation, I can vouch for them. However I don't know if the insides of it change from year to year along with the design.

Lastly, for the extreme ultimate warmth, there's only one that stand on top. Battery heated gloves. I can't tell you which are best or make any suggestions. I can tell you that there are electric heated liners and gloves. So you'll have to do your research but they can last a long while but you'll have to fork over a bit more for them.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1837 posts
598 upvotes
Guelph
artificialcolours wrote: I'm looking for some really good quality winter gloves. The past two years have been terrible for my fingers - I have exceptionally poor circulation and want gloves that are good for warmth above anything else.

Please let me hace recommendations, I'm looking around stores at gloves, but have no idea how they'd handle the cold.

Get mitts. They'll be warmer.
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
175 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
I got some down mitts at Eddie Bauer last year, they're pretty good. I think they were under $50, so not sure how they compare to the pricier ones.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Operatime wrote: I got some down mitts at Eddie Bauer last year, they're pretty good. I think they were under $50, so not sure how they compare to the pricier ones.
EB is overrated. The whole line is overrated. It's really a mid-lower level outlet for the masses at low prices trying to boast same temp ratings as coats like OSC, CG, and others. Yea, only if you incorporate massive layering. Cant believe they give temp ratings to jackets/parkas that are thin as crap with very little insulation and expect you to be warm in -25C to -30C. BS. Unfortunately you pay for what you get. Other than their Peak XV 850 fill mountaineer down parka (which they dont sell in Canada anymore) the rest is cheap stuff.. which explains why the average customer I see is 50 and above (cuz seniors are always looking for a deal). Mehhh...
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1458 posts
796 upvotes
North York
I have terribly cold fingers and I have to walk the dog all winter, even in -30C. I did a bunch of research into warm mitts.

Last year I bought some fancy gloves for dog walking and skiing, and I found the best for warmth are still mitts. The lobster style - 3 finger gloves weren't good enough for me.

Between my Arc'teryx Alpha SV mitt, a pair of puffy goose down mitts from Le Baron, and a really old leather pile mitts, the warmest were the leather pile mitts. They are horrible for handling stuff with your hands since they are so bulky, but they hold heat so well. They look like the ones below:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/stor ... tens/53639

You can add a pair of thinner glove liners as well, to wear inside the mitt for added warmth.

When I ski and it's below -10C, I add the disposable heat warmers packets and throw that into my Arcteryx mitts (with glove liner). Take the glove off once in awhile to get some fresh air into the glove, so that the heat packets keep working.

I've also looked into various battery operated gloves, but the price is high (around $350 for a decent pair), check out Outdoor Research: Lucent heated gloves, or
Therm-ic:

http://www.altitude-sports.com/en/outdo ... r-77004-en

http://www.altitude-sports.com/en/therm ... 0229009-en

My friends who ski a lot, have both battery run heated gloves and heated insoles.

I'm looking into battery heated carbon tape strips to see if I can rig it into my gloves to provide a cheap and reuseable way to keep my hands warm. There's some DIY sites showing how you can add carbon tape to your clothes for warmth.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-car ... -trousers/
Oct 10, 2004
919 posts
217 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm also prone to getting cold, waxy-white fingers as soon as the temperature drops below zero. I've spent hundreds over the years and I'm still looking for a solution. I've recently acquired a pair of these heated liners. I've used them on couple bike rides and they seem to work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)