• Mar 11th, 2012 4:51 pm
Tags:
None
May 26, 2011
73 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto

Is Winter a good time to look for Air Conditioner

I wonder when is the best time to buy an air conditioner (not portable or windows ones) for my house. Does anyone know if there is usually any special deal during winter or spring time? Would there be any chance a group buy? Please also advise what brand(s) is best bang for buck. Thanks!
7 replies
May 22, 2007
696 posts
45 upvotes
I would assume winter or the end of winter would be the best time to shop around and buy. But I'm not sure if it's recommended to install during the winter with the cold temperature and all.

I moved into a new house in September, i called around a few places for some A/C quotes, and I got some pretty decent prices. Best price I got was for a Goodman 2.5 ton 13 seer unit, wall-bracket,winter cover, and central humidifier, all installed for $1800.
Nov 24, 2002
890 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
The best time, from my own experience, is around April. That's when good contractors purchase their stock. End of summer and winter is when they might be low on stock or out at which point you pay MSRP as the company has to purchase 1 unit just for you.

My ac was 800$ less than a friends, using the same contractor! I got it in April, he got it in July and that's what the contractor told me.
[OP]
May 26, 2011
73 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Any store or retailer recommended?
If there is any deal in the winter, I guess they will wait for spring to install, right?
Dec 27, 2010
344 posts
12 upvotes
from my own experience, i'd say winter is a great time to research air conditioners. spring/summer best time to buy when all the orders get placed. otherwise you're going to wind up with dead stock/returns and not much selection.

i had good luck with sears getting our a/c unit.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1058 posts
107 upvotes
Markham
It really depends. Our company has about 35 units left in stock from our large spring orders. If what you need/want is something that we have in stock, we are more likely to "sharpen our pencils" to make some space in our shop.

$1800 for an air conditioner any time of the year is crazy....who is installing them?

Make sure the personal doing the install has the 313D or 313A refrigeration license. There are way too many trunk slammers out there that have no idea as to what they are doing, how to service something should something go wrong, have no insurance...etc

You want to make sure that you have a contractor who will stand by his/her product after it is installed, and that it is installed in a proper way, which will let the unit run efficiently, at the capacity it is capable of, and for a long time.

Give us a call if you are interested

Brian Ripchensky
Stouffville Home & Comfort Ltd
905-642-3000
Providing Customers with the highest quality Home Comfort Products, and service! http://www.homestars.com/companies/2781 ... ly-med-air
[OP]
May 26, 2011
73 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone compared Carrier and Lennox? I got a quote of $2200 + tax on 2.5T 13Seer Carrier A/C. Is it a good price? Does anyone know or recommend any good A/C retailer?

Thanks!
× < >