• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2009 4:06 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 16, 2007
137 posts
2 upvotes

Winter jacket recommendation

I'm still a newbie when it comes to winter so buying a jacket is even harder for me. I need some direction on brands or various styles that fit my desires. All I'm looking for is something that's lightweight and non bulky (hate those puffy jackets) but still be very warm. Will be used daily, for normal activity, no sports. The longest I'll be out in the cold would be about 45 mins. I would like to buy one soon as buying out of season is your best bet for a great price :D . More than likely will order off here:http://www.6pm.com/search/jacket/filter ... rice/desc/
Here has some of the best prices I've seen. Anyway all helpful advice is welcomed ;)
51 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2005
3863 posts
16 upvotes
Buy canada goose if you want to be warm. I have few nice jackets from G-star and energie, but they really suck in canadian winter

ps. dont buy white, they are a ***** to clean
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1888 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
i went to buffalo by david bitton near eaton center like a yr ago

got myself a really nice downed parka

its SOOO warm and excellent quality. still looks new today!

and it was cheap! around $200 incl tax.
SCAMMER THREADS SCAMMER GOT PWNED
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
If you don't want to spend the money on Canada goose, Diesel has some great downe jackets for half the price.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2008
1610 posts
4 upvotes
If you have the money for Canada Goose I'd say go for it... Canadian winters can get REALLY bad and in those times you're more than likely going to care about warmth more than anything else. I've tried on their jackets and damn are they warm... too bad I can't afford it right now :(
Oct 12, 2008
167 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
It sounds like he doesnt want a down jacket but all the recommendations so far are for down...

Try something made out of wool, the heavier the better. 24oz should be fine, 32 would be better. It should come down below your bum and should have a collar that comes up to help block the wind. The style is up to you to decide what you like.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1888 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
i still say buffalo's down jacket as being amazing

just give it a shot, try it out

canada goose is great bt obv exp, and its really warm u can even make do with wearing nothing under

but wat if u have a sweater on, u wud b BOILING...iunno just my opinion

u have downed parka and canada goose on the table

try em both out

and buy accordingly with budget in mind

side note: when do winter jackets get into stores?
SCAMMER THREADS SCAMMER GOT PWNED
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
^
every retailer should have them out by now.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
down jackets are very puffy. i thought the OP said no puffy jackets.

If you don't stay outside alot, you can always dress in layers with something like a peacoat. I have a wool FCUK peacoat that i wear in layering and it keeps me pretty warm in the winter.
May 19, 2008
155 posts
76 upvotes
My stand-by is a black peacoat.

If you're only outside for <1 hour at a time and won't be moving around much (ie. sports) it should be fine. Just remember a scarf/hat.
Nov 16, 2007
137 posts
2 upvotes
Thanx for the replies. Where sells the Canada goose jackets at comparatively good prices? I've seen them at Si Vous Plait but they didn't look thick so I dismissed them. Don't get me wrong, I have quite a few of dressier jackets, but are too dressy for daily wear. Also, alot of the jackets I see make reference to soft shell, etc. I've tried searching for to get a better understanding of these various jackets but I can't get a clear cut answer as to what they are. Anyone care to educate?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
I've seen quite a large collection at Sporting Life. But you'll mostly pay retail for them. If you're considering Canada Goose, why not look into Northface?
Nov 16, 2003
845 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary
45 minutes in -40C is unbearable (and dangerous) if you don't have an amazingly warm coat. I got me a 700 fill Goose Down parka last year from Eddie Bauer. It's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. Yes, it's a little puffy but when it's that freakin cold it doesn't matter.

Places like Mountain Equipment Coop also have 700 or 800 fill parkas that you could look at...But I love my Eddie Bauer coat, it's got tons of pockets and it's lightweight.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Nov 16, 2007
137 posts
2 upvotes
Great help guys, but keep it coming. Lots of options. I am realizing that lightweight/thin and warm don't really go together though. I was hoping that I could use a snowboarding jacket like a Burton or Foursquare, but being that I won't be active, I doubt it will be warm as they appear not as insulated like the Northface,etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
3219 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
If Canada Goose is over your budget you can always go for North Face Gotham.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3411 posts
72 upvotes
:lol: Here we go again. Projecting another 40% increase in CG fans this year.

I hang onto mine from last year, love it despite it starting to get 'played out'. :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)