• Jan 18th, 2019 6:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39510 posts
5842 upvotes
King City

Winter Jacket Recommendation - Alternative to NF McMurdo

What would you guys recommend for something that's lighter and less bulkier than the North Face McMurdo parka? Especially for commuting in the GO Train, a 10 minute subway ride, and a 5 min walk outside?

Something that still offers the same amount of warmth, where I would be wearing a full sleeve shirt and a sweater/cardigan perhaps. Not looking to break the bank too much haha. I love my McMurdo, but I find its too bulky, especially when driving or sitting in public transit.

Thanks.
Proud to be an Indian.
Dec 29, 2012
830 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
Which one would be as warm as the McMurdo? I bought the McMurdo on Boxing Day because my CG Expedition was too bulky and heavy. It's only half the weight and super warm, but I put on a thick midlayer today, I struggled for 15 minutes with the zip, tried sitting down, tried bending over, tried standing up straight (can't get to it then) and no luck, so sadly have to return it.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24560 posts
9474 upvotes
Toronto
I would probably look for something with a fill of 650 - 850 goose down or duck down or combination of the two.

If you have a Parka and wants to go lighter on a not extreme cold day (< -10 degree Cel) and going multi layers, I would probably go with ...

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/mens- ... ype=&size=

do note this one does not have a hood. If you want to go with a hood ... then this is probably https://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/mens- ... ype=&size=
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39510 posts
5842 upvotes
King City
booblehead wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:19 pm
I would probably look for something with a fill of 650 - 850 goose down or duck down or combination of the two.

If you have a Parka and wants to go lighter on a not extreme cold day (< -10 degree Cel) and going multi layers, I would probably go with ...

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/mens- ... ype=&size=

do note this one does not have a hood. If you want to go with a hood ... then this is probably https://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/mens- ... ype=&size=
Thanks. Didn't someone mention in another thread in Hot Deals for a different brand on sale, that Eddie Bauer isn't a good brand or something along the lines?
Proud to be an Indian.
Jul 30, 2007
24560 posts
9474 upvotes
Toronto
... maybe we are now more accustomed to looking for higher luxury brand names and like to pay ultra premium badge pricing ?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39510 posts
5842 upvotes
King City
booblehead wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:31 am
... maybe we are now more accustomed to looking for higher luxury brand names and like to pay ultra premium badge pricing ?
For me as long as it gets the job done lol. I don't care if the brand is sub par compared to the high end brands out there lol.
Proud to be an Indian.
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
djemzine wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:12 pm
For me as long as it gets the job done lol. I don't care if the brand is sub par compared to the high end brands out there lol.
Absolutely agreed!

Those that decide to get them expensive coats/jackets ... ooops ... just a T-Shirt underneath. WOW! That's great!

You get to a place ... ooops ... too hot for the Down Coat/Jacket ... take it off. OOOOPS ... too cold for a T-Shirt. Hmmmm .... got a problem. ON or OFF.

I'm old school ... prefer layering ... or as they say "onion style".

Never have a problem taking off the coat/jacket and then the layers. Always will be able to find that comfort zone with your surroundings.

In the winter ... I normally have an Under Armour Coldgear Mock / Turtle Neck ... then put on a fleece top / hoodie / jersey ... then the coat/jacket. DONE!

I only have ONE so-called pricier down coat/jacket (wife bought it for my birthday a few years back) ... NOIZE ... not really a name brand down ... but does the job.

My other coats/jackets:
- a Uniqlo light down jacket (bought in Tokyo) ... very cheap
- a Blink (Danier Leather) leather coat ... long enough to cover the butt
- a Jack & Jones ... not waterproof ... good enough for non-snowy days
- a SuperDry jacket ... spring/fall jacket
- two Mountain Warehouse ski jackets ... bought them both on sale for under $50 each
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!