Winter retirement options..not Fl, Mexico, South Amer or Asia

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2019 2:27 am
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11128 posts
8340 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Arrgh wrote: Oh, what kind of coverage is that, covering out of country medicals for life? Don't know any company or government agencies with that type of coverage.
Lol, I know of one
But even that has restrictions on the amount of time OUT OF COUNTRY in a year or consecutively
Which makes the timeframe of 2 to 4 months problematic if the OP isn’t coming back to Canada for that duration
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2016
1917 posts
749 upvotes
yes we will have to work with the coverage...likely do one destination for couple of weeks in Dec followed by one or two spots in Jan/Feb..dont anticipate being gone more than 4 weeks at a time
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1692 posts
414 upvotes
Friendly reminder. I've mentioned this before

If you have Italian, Irish, or Portuguese (just to name a few) ancestors (dating back 2 generations), and can prove it (under the specific requirements), you may be eligible for citizenship through descent (without renouncing your Canadian one). Which means aside form indefinite stay across EU, you could also get access to public health care across EU.

by all means, i do not mean to encourage scamming someone else's health care system (i doubt anyone would treat cancer in Spain if they could in Canada?). I just thought there a lot of people in Canada that are of Italian, Irish, or Portuguese ancestry, and they are very much legally eligible of citizenship that they were not aware of.

One would even contribute to their economy if one spends their retirement (money) there.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11128 posts
8340 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Fjr2005 wrote: yes we will have to work with the coverage...likely do one destination for couple of weeks in Dec followed by one or two spots in Jan/Feb..dont anticipate being gone more than 4 weeks at a time
The world is a big place... so there are lots of options
Many of them with better weather than us December thru March / April
Including the USA...
Not sure why you have said NO to Florida, as it is one of the warmest states that time of year
Get south of Tampa and temps can be in the 70s & 80s
Plus Florida offers up so many great Destinations
Atlantic Coast is different from Gulf Coast
And every city / region has its own character

The USA can be quite easy on the budget
And things are very familiar ... food, language, law & Order etc

Heck you get south of Virginia into the Carolinas & Georgia
And the daily temps can be quite temperate
With most days in the 50s, 60s & 70s
Might not be beach weather
But certainly enjoyable for a round of golf
And very safe
AND CHEAP
Beachfront condos can go fit around $ 1000 to $ 1500 a month on a multi month lease
And with those kind of savings you can still tack on a side trip to Florida or the Caribbean
To spark things up
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2016
1917 posts
749 upvotes
We are not completely avoiding Florida and the USA (well we are until Trump is gone)
We have been there many times and looking for discussion on other places we are not so familiar with
Jul 30, 2015
527 posts
333 upvotes
Costal Del Sol in Spain ! Totally in love with the area
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5887 posts
939 upvotes
I propose that you reconsider Mexico and South America Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Places like Panama City, San Miguel de Allende, Oaxaca City, Puerto Vallarta, Medellin, Cartagena, etc. might fit the bill for you. You didn't mention why those have been excluded from your choices, so sorry if the suggestion is annoying. Those are all examples of places that would meet your criteria. I'll add another vote for Portugal.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1270 posts
662 upvotes
Algarve Portugal

Cheap but not a 3rd world sh*hole
Mar 16, 2006
98 posts
23 upvotes
Scarborough
I would consider Portugal and Spain for sure
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4231 posts
295 upvotes
I can understand the OP's restrictions as I have similar ones myself of winter retirement options.

While certain parts of the US are nice, it's not cheap! Only place I'd even consider would be California. Latin America is unfortunately not very stable and when you think they've made progress, another dictator gets in.

I'm looking into retirement options as well and so far have thought of the Okanagan in the summer (yes to dry heat and wine country) and southern Spain in the winters. When I finally get to the point where I can't go back to Spain, I'd much rather be in the Okanagan surrounded by mountains than in the GTA. Southern Ontario topography is rather bland and winters will suck then.
Speaking Spanish also helps big time as well, plus being in Europe means being able to take off to travel in Europe and not being confined to one place. Travelling in Latin America is very expensive unfortunately.

I hear Portugal is nice too, but I don't speak Portuguese, hence prefer Spain.

Surprised no one has mentioned climate change as a consideration, which is a huge reason to NOT go to Florida. Most of the state is going to be underwater in the coming years.

I'd be curious to hear what the OP decides on.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5981 posts
2712 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote: Surprised no one has mentioned climate change as a consideration, which is a huge reason to NOT go to Florida. Most of the state is going to be underwater in the coming years.
:facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2379 posts
1502 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
IceBlueShoes wrote: I can understand the OP's restrictions as I have similar ones myself of winter retirement options.

While certain parts of the US are nice, it's not cheap! Only place I'd even consider would be California. Latin America is unfortunately not very stable and when you think they've made progress, another dictator gets in.

I'm looking into retirement options as well and so far have thought of the Okanagan in the summer (yes to dry heat and wine country) and southern Spain in the winters. When I finally get to the point where I can't go back to Spain, I'd much rather be in the Okanagan surrounded by mountains than in the GTA. Southern Ontario topography is rather bland and winters will suck then.
Speaking Spanish also helps big time as well, plus being in Europe means being able to take off to travel in Europe and not being confined to one place. Travelling in Latin America is very expensive unfortunately.

I hear Portugal is nice too, but I don't speak Portuguese, hence prefer Spain.

Surprised no one has mentioned climate change as a consideration, which is a huge reason to NOT go to Florida. Most of the state is going to be underwater in the coming years.

I'd be curious to hear what the OP decides on.
Southern Portugal (Algarve) has a substantial ex-pat community and English is primarily spoken. It’s for the most part older Brits who flock there in the winter months. It actually floored me the first time I went there how “not Portuguese” it was compared to North where my husband is from. Similar to Costa Del Sol- being very touristy in comparison to going more inland in Spain.

I’ve yet to hear Florida is going to be underwater... if that happens a lot of other parts of the world will also be underwater. If anything, Florida’ winter weather is not consistent.