Travel

Winter retirement options..not Fl, Mexico, South Amer or Asia

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2019 2:27 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5982 posts
2716 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: How about Buenos Aires?
not Fl, Mexico, South Amer or Asia
Again, OP is not looking for South America unless you're thinking of a different Buenos Aires?!? :eek:
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4231 posts
295 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Southern Portugal (Algarve) has a substantial ex-pat community and English is primarily spoken. It’s for the most part older Brits who flock there in the winter months. It actually floored me the first time I went there how “not Portuguese” it was compared to North where my husband is from. Similar to Costa Del Sol- being very touristy in comparison to going more inland in Spain.

I’ve yet to hear Florida is going to be underwater... if that happens a lot of other parts of the world will also be underwater. If anything, Florida’ winter weather is not consistent.
Plenty of news articles online:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 92454.html

Rising tides (which leads to flooding and rising sea levels) in FL is mentioned
https://nca2018.globalchange.gov/

The insurance industry is sounding alarms. Certain areas won't be insurable.
https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/n ... 488283.htm

None of these are new revelations. And no, Florida isn't the only place.

Portugal sounds nice, but I'd rather be around locals or a mix preferably. But different strokes for different folks!
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5982 posts
2716 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote: Plenty of news articles online:

Portugal sounds nice, but I'd rather be around locals or a mix preferably. But different strokes for different folks!
I didn't bother to click on your links. There's really no need.

First, don't believe everything Al Gore tells you. :rolleyes:

Second, even if this is going to occur, as you seem to think it is, it's not going to happen in your lifetime. Stop being afraid and just live your life. Not only will you live longer but you'll be happier. To forego travel to Florida because you're afraid that it will one day be under water is about the most ridiculous thing I've read today...
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11178 posts
8399 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
IceBlueShoes wrote: Plenty of news articles online:

Like @Conquistador
I didn’t read the links either

I believe in climate change, but I also know it’s quite a ways off before we see Florida underwater.
If you are retired now ... it’s certainly not gonna be in your lifetime.

The only other time that flooding is a major issue in Florida is during a Hurricane.

Which I would think wouldn’t be a concern to you either ... as Hurricane Season runs June 1st to November 30th, and most snowbirds haven’t flown their Canadian coops until December

And lastly, it’s truly more of a resident concern ... those that own & insure / maintain property than it is for snowbirds.
And based on your posts for cheaper accommodations ... I assume you won’t be foolish enough therefore to buy anything.

So it’s totally a non issue for you.

IMO Florida is great.

Because besides decent weather, it also offers a huge assortment of accommodation options & price points.
And it’s a 1st World Country ... with the majority of things much like home.
So ruling it out IMHO is just foolish
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4231 posts
295 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: I didn't bother to click on your links. There's really no need.

First, don't believe everything Al Gore tells you. :rolleyes:

Second, even if this is going to occur, as you seem to think it is, it's not going to happen in your lifetime. Stop being afraid and just live your life. Not only will you live longer but you'll be happier. To forego travel to Florida because you're afraid that it will one day be under water is about the most ridiculous thing I've read today...
The 2nd link was from the US govt. Hardly one sided.
Also don't believe the deniers. Just follow the money. The stock market is incapable of thinking beyond the next quarter.
This is why nothing gets done.

And of course it's going to happen. It's happening now.

While I agree that one should live their life and not hide under a rock, if you're looking for a place to last the next 10-15 years, Florida is probably not the best choice.
Big difference in buying a place vs. taking a 1 week holiday.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4231 posts
295 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Like @Conquistador
I didn’t read the links either

I believe in climate change, but I also know it’s quite a ways off before we see Florida underwater.
If you are retired now ... it’s certainly not gonna be in your lifetime.

The only other time that flooding is a major issue in Florida is during a Hurricane.

Which I would think wouldn’t be a concern to you either ... as Hurricane Season runs June 1st to November 30th, and most snowbirds haven’t flown their Canadian coops until December

And lastly, it’s truly more of a resident concern ... those that own & insure / maintain property than it is for snowbirds.
And based on your posts for cheaper accommodations ... I assume you won’t be foolish enough therefore to buy anything.

So it’s totally a non issue for you.

IMO Florida is great.

Because besides decent weather, it also offers a huge assortment of accommodation options & price points.
And it’s a 1st World Country ... with the majority of things much like home.
So ruling it out IMHO is just foolish
OP ruled it out.
although I wouldn't live in Florida myself.
No desire to.

Would I go on a holiday? Perhaps one day but nowhere near the top of my list.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5982 posts
2716 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote: The 2nd link was from the US govt. Hardly one sided.
Also don't believe the deniers. Just follow the money. The stock market is incapable of thinking beyond the next quarter.
This is why nothing gets done.

And of course it's going to happen. It's happening now.

While I agree that one should live their life and not hide under a rock, if you're looking for a place to last the next 10-15 years, Florida is probably not the best choice.
Big difference in buying a place vs. taking a 1 week holiday.
Nobody here is denying climate change. The climate has been changing for four and a half billion years. To toss out that pejorative nugget is very telling.

And to be clear, you think that Florida is going to be under water in the next 10-15 years? Unbelievable. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1198 posts
810 upvotes
GTA West
Yeah, the problem with Florida and climate change is not the prospect of being underwater in the very near future. But there is a lot of climate change calamity in Florida already.

Right now, it is things like the red tide episode 2018-2019 that was the longest ever experienced and left SW Florida's beaches, lagoons, and canals filled with dead fish, manatees, and dolphins. We cancelled our booking on the water since for us the best things about Florida are on the coast. Then there is the sargasso weed that is fouling Florida beaches (including Miami) right now.

There has also been an increase of insects spreading tropical diseases like Zika.

In 2017 we arrived a few weeks after hurricane Irma and saw some of the devastation that caused.

So vacationing or retiring in Florida is not the slam dunk it used to be.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11178 posts
8399 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Yeah, the problem with Florida and climate change is not the prospect of being underwater in the very near future. But there is a lot of climate change calamity in Florida already.

Right now, it is things like the red tide episode 2018-2019 that was the longest ever experienced and left SW Florida's beaches, lagoons, and canals filled with dead fish, manatees, and dolphins. We cancelled our booking on the water since for us the best things about Florida are on the coast. Then there is the sargasso weed that is fouling Florida beaches (including Miami) right now.

There has also been an increase of insects spreading tropical diseases like Zika.

In 2017 we arrived a few weeks after hurricane Irma and saw some of the devastation that caused.

So vacationing or retiring in Florida is not the slam dunk it used to be.
True enough.

And you are right all of these factors are related to climate change ... to the intensity and magnitude of recent hurricanes infact.

The 2017 Hurricane Season was one of the worst for the USA ... and the ocean got really stirred up and hasn’t totally recovered ... scuba divers are still reporting this fact. And all the debris that went into the ocean, certainly attributed to its imbalance ... which scientists believe is partially responsible for the surge in red tide algae & sargasso weed.

Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t go to Florida for the good weather December thru April.

But then except for a bit of scuba / snorkelling in The Keys ... I am not one to spend much time in the ocean, vs walking / sitting beside it while I am there
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5982 posts
2716 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: But then except for a bit of scuba / snorkelling in The Keys ... I am not one to spend much time in the ocean, vs walking / sitting beside it while I am there
Just imagine how great snorkeling and scuba diving will be in 10 to 15 years with all those cities and infrastructure under water! :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1273 posts
664 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: Just imagine how great snorkeling and scuba diving will be in 10 to 15 years with all those cities and infrastructure under water! :lol:
They can market it as "Atlantis two"
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4429 posts
1010 upvotes
Regina
thailand would be interesting, a friend from work retired there as she and her hubby have been there a few times before....decent pricing...and a hop and skip to a lot of other places.
I havent been across the pond but from where i have been Maui would be up there but a bit pricier
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4256 posts
1314 upvotes
Moncton
Surprised nobody mentioned Morocco. It isn’t particularly warm in the winter, so can be cheap. I remember spending $15 for a nice hotel room with a bidet in Marakesh. Ability to speak some French would be a huge asset. Casablanca has non-stop flights to Montreal if you don’t like the cheaper way via Spain or Ireland.

Turkey is the same idea. You’d obviously stay away from the East and Syrian border.

Personally I’d go to western Puerto Rico or eastern Jamaica (Port Antonio).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1160 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
BrunetteGirl wrote: Southern Portugal (Algarve) has a substantial ex-pat community and English is primarily spoken. It’s for the most part older Brits who flock there in the winter months. It actually floored me the first time I went there how “not Portuguese” it was compared to North where my husband is from.
My fiancée is Brazilian and her family owns a restaurant in Alvor, and you're right: there are tons of older British folks coming for the summer (or who have retired there). Then you've got the young British people who vacation there as a cheap beach vacation. It's extremely easy to get by with little to no Portuguese. When we're there together, I only hear her speaking Portuguese in convenience stores.