• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2019 9:50 am
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
835 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan

Winter Tire Recommendation on 2019 Odyssey

Looking to jump onto the Simply Tire Winter Tire Package thread that will be coming up in a bit and although I've done a bit of research, I'm curious if there are any recommendations on which tires work best on a 2019 Odyssey.

The Michelin Xi2 is at the top of my list. It is reputable, has a long life and is arguably the most popular winter tire. Then there is the Nokian Hakkapeliita which a lot of people have vouched as the best winter tire they have ever had. Both are great but have a high price point of $1,410 which is leaning me to consider other options especially if I can save a couple of bucks without sacrificing too much.

I know alot of people will recommend Bridgestone's Blizzak which can arguably perform better in deep snow than the above two but also has a shorter life. Because I live in Vaughan (GTA), I rarely drive in deep snow and I think the Blizzak's will wear out even quicker. For this reason, I'm not considering this tire although it comes in at a price point of $1,280 ($130 cheaper than the Xi2 and Hakkas)

The last tire I'm considering is the Continental Winter Contact which costs $1,230 ($180 bucks cheaper than the Xi2 and Hakkas). I've heard great things about this tire but curious how they compare to the Michelin's in terms of performance, ride comfort (is it quiet?) and longevity especially on a minvan. Anyone have any experience with these tires or recommendations on some other tires? Is the extra $180 worth saving?

I'll also be putting them on alloys with TPMS. They will be installed on RTX Wheels which I have to choose. Any recommendations on which RTX wheels work well on the 2019 Odyssey is greatly appreciated as well!

Thank you!
29 replies
Nov 26, 2014
210 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm putting Nokian Hakka R3's on our 19 Odyssey. I haven't had a better winter tire than Nokians. They've been the best i've ever used. Being that the odyssey if FWD i'd rather put the best tires I can get personally.

I personally don't like Michelin XI and Blizzaks. They've never done me any good.

If you want to spend the money i'd get the Nokians without question, my only other suggestion would be Gislaved Nordfrost 200 if you really wanted to save money. I run those on my other car and they've been great.

Doesn't really matter which alloy you choose from RTX it's just styling preference.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
835 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan
jerbhu wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 9:52 am
I'm putting Nokian Hakka R3's on our 19 Odyssey. I haven't had a better winter tire than Nokians. They've been the best i've ever used. Being that the odyssey if FWD i'd rather put the best tires I can get personally.

I personally don't like Michelin XI and Blizzaks. They've never done me any good.

If you want to spend the money i'd get the Nokians without question, my only other suggestion would be Gislaved Nordfrost 200 if you really wanted to save money. I run those on my other car and they've been great.

Doesn't really matter which alloy you choose from RTX it's just styling preference.
thanks for the input! I really want to try the Nokians.. but they are the most expensive tire since I've read that there's no manufacturer's rebate (even more than the Xi2s). really trying to balance out cost vs benefit. I'll read up on Gislaved Nordfrost.
Nov 26, 2014
210 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto, ON
otaknap wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 10:28 am
thanks for the input! I really want to try the Nokians.. but they are the most expensive tire since I've read that there's no manufacturer's rebate (even more than the Xi2s). really trying to balance out cost vs benefit. I'll read up on Gislaved Nordfrost.
$50 GC
https://www.nokiantiresrebates.ca/promotions

And even if there wasn't a rebate the tires are worth the money. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them just to save $200 safety is more important IMO.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
835 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan
jerbhu wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 10:34 am
$50 GC
https://www.nokiantiresrebates.ca/promotions

And even if there wasn't a rebate the tires are worth the money. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them just to save $200 safety is more important IMO.
ah great! thanks! I read on a thread that the rebates were only offered in the Atlantic region but I guess that was incorrect information.

I'm definitely not trying to compromise safety for $200 (especially with 2 kids) but if there another option that is just as good but cheaper, I will definitely consider it. After all, safety for the most part is dependent on the driver.

for alloy rims, what is the impact of the aftermarket rtxwheels not being hubcentric and lug centric with a larger bore size. does it cause any issues in terms of driving experience or installation (since i'll be likely doing it myself).
Nov 26, 2014
210 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto, ON
otaknap wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 11:59 am
ah great! thanks! I read on a thread that the rebates were only offered in the Atlantic region but I guess that was incorrect information.

I'm definitely not trying to compromise safety for $200 (especially with 2 kids) but if there another option that is just as good but cheaper, I will definitely consider it. After all, safety for the most part is dependent on the driver.

for alloy rims, what is the impact of the aftermarket rtxwheels not being hubcentric and lug centric with a larger bore size. does it cause any issues in terms of driving experience or installation (since i'll be likely doing it myself).
Usually simplytire gives you hubcentric rings or at least you have the option of getting them. They have for me in the past as well as my friends who have ordered from them before.
Oct 18, 2005
394 posts
116 upvotes
I picked up the below package from Simply Tires 2 weeks ago. I went with Pirelli Winter Ice Zero because I have it on my other car and I love how quiet these tires are. Also I have no issue with control of my car during those heavy snow days. Only question for me is how long will these tires last, as they are relatively new to the market. Simply tire will give you the hubcentric rings and lug nuts for the alloy rims.

Odyssey (2018+)
18” Options:
Option 11 package with Pirelli Winter Ice Zero 107H XL
Upgrade to alloy wheels (RTX Wheels GRAZ - Satin Black)
Add Honda TPMS
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
835 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan
ctc027 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 1:32 pm
I picked up the below package from Simply Tires 2 weeks ago. I went with Pirelli Winter Ice Zero because I have it on my other car and I love how quiet these tires are. Also I have no issue with control of my car during those heavy snow days. Only question for me is how long will these tires last, as they are relatively new to the market. Simply tire will give you the hubcentric rings and lug nuts for the alloy rims.

Odyssey (2018+)
18” Options:
Option 11 package with Pirelli Winter Ice Zero 107H XL
Upgrade to alloy wheels (RTX Wheels GRAZ - Satin Black)
Add Honda TPMS
Thank you so much. This is very helpful!

I just called simply tires and was notified that the only RTX wheels that come hubcentric to the odyssey are the Pilot and Frost (Silver). I find it strange that it's just the silver color for Frost. Apparently only the silver is winter approved.

I was told that an extra set of lug nuts are $20. I didn't ask about the hubcentric rings but curious if there are any differences in having hubcentric wheel or a hubcentric ring in terms of safety, comfort ride, and installation process. Are you doing the install yourself? I was planning to do it myself but they mentioned that they can't guarantee that the TPMS will work unless they do the installation. Not sure if some type of programming is required.

also, do you mind sharing the all-in price after all the discounts and HST?
Oct 18, 2005
394 posts
116 upvotes
otaknap wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 4:17 pm
Thank you so much. This is very helpful!

I just called simply tires and was notified that the only RTX wheels that come hubcentric to the odyssey are the Pilot and Frost (Silver). I find it strange that it's just the silver color for Frost. Apparently only the silver is winter approved.

I was told that an extra set of lug nuts are $20. I didn't ask about the hubcentric rings but curious if there are any differences in having hubcentric wheel or a hubcentric ring in terms of safety, comfort ride, and installation process. Are you doing the install yourself? I was planning to do it myself but they mentioned that they can't guarantee that the TPMS will work unless they do the installation. Not sure if some type of programming is required.

also, do you mind sharing the all-in price after all the discounts and HST?
My all in price was $1980. They installed the TMPS and mount/ balance the tires. I haven't mount these tires yet, but will do it myself when the weather is below 7C.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
835 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan
ctc027 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 4:42 pm
My all in price was $1980. They installed the TMPS and mount/ balance the tires. I haven't mount these tires yet, but will do it myself when the weather is below 7C.
will the tpms calibrate automatically? is there something that needs to be done? i was going to mount it myself as well as i change over the tires for my cars when it gets colder. however, when i called and asked, they said that if the tpms doesn't work, you'll have to come back and there might be a charge.
Nov 26, 2014
210 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto, ON
otaknap wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 6:35 pm
will the tpms calibrate automatically? is there something that needs to be done? i was going to install it myself as well as i change over the tires for my cars when it gets colder. however, when i called and asked, they said that if it doesn't work, you'll have to come back and there might be a charge.
I know the Tourings use direct TPMS so they calibrate automatically. I believe that they put individual sensors in all models of the odyssey not but I can't confirm. If you can see individual tire pressure readings on the cluster then you have direct TPMS and you won't need to calibrate them. They would be self learning. I do however only get OEM TPMS, not sure what TPMS SimplyTire would give. I always buy them from Honda or whatever OE and drop them off to them before they have the tires mounted and balanced. I just take the loose tires home and install myself, saves me an extra $40 plus discounts I get on the sensors.

I do all the installs myself for all my cars with Hub Centric rings and have never had problems.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
835 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan
jerbhu wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 8:11 am
I know the Tourings use direct TPMS so they calibrate automatically. I believe that they put individual sensors in all models of the odyssey not but I can't confirm. If you can see individual tire pressure readings on the cluster then you have direct TPMS and you won't need to calibrate them. They would be self learning. I do however only get OEM TPMS, not sure what TPMS SimplyTire would give. I always buy them from Honda or whatever OE and drop them off to them before they have the tires mounted and balanced. I just take the loose tires home and install myself, saves me an extra $40 plus discounts I get on the sensors.

I do all the installs myself for all my cars with Hub Centric rings and have never had problems.
Thanks for the feedback. I just placed an order for the tires with simply tires. I went with the Continental Winter Contact on RTX Pilot wheels as they are one of only two hub centric wheels offered by RTX. Didn't want to go with the Hub centric ring approach.

With respect to tires, I had added the Pirelli's Winter Ice Zero on my list and narrowed it down between the Pirellis and Continental. The Pirelli's appear to be a newer tire but seems to have a good feedback (especially with regards to noise and comfort). However, I couldn't find any support for longevity. The Xi2 and Hakkas are arguably better tires but I didn't think the price difference was worth it. I'd like to think that the difference in winter performance in the GTA is marginal or negligible. Simply Tire recommended the continentals.

Had to pay an extra $35 for lug nuts and learned that the TPMS is aftermarket. I forget the name of the aftermarket brand. However, I was advised that Simply Tire doesn't go OEM as they might not be able to program it (if required). In addition, the battery life of the OEM TPMS is shorter? not sure how much truth there is to that.
May 24, 2008
170 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
price i paid last year for 2018 Odyssey

2018 Odyssey
235/60/18 winter tire + 18” direct fitment alloy wheel (RTX) package, NO TPMS
Conti winter contact SI package $1650/set all in (including tax and installed)

The Conti perform very good last winter, happy with it.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2016
835 posts
176 upvotes
Vaughan
macrossr wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 11:17 am
price i paid last year for 2018 Odyssey

2018 Odyssey
235/60/18 winter tire + 18” direct fitment alloy wheel (RTX) package, NO TPMS
Conti winter contact SI package $1650/set all in (including tax and installed)

The Conti perform very good last winter, happy with it.
that is very comforting to know! I feel like I made a good choice with the continentals. I'm paying about $2K all in but I am getting TPMS as well. Those darn things cost $280. I also got another set of lug nuts so I don't have to use the ones I have on my stock rims.

curious, which RTX wheels did you go with? there were only two that were a direct fitment or hub centric to the Odyssey. did you go with Pilot? if you did, mind sharing pics if you have them readily available? I am curious how it looks..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9342 posts
1598 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I see you already decided on the Continental tires which are great.

I used the Continental SI winter tires for the past 2 winters with great results but due to upgrading to bigger brakes on my car I'm forced to buy new 18" wheels so I have decided to go with the Nokian Haka's R3 If I did not go with these I would of got the continental ones again as I had a great time with them. In fact I saw a review where it was better then then Blizzaks (just slightly) but it just shows how good of a tire they are
0_o
<_<
>_>