Wheels and Tires

Winter Tire Recommendation. First time ever.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2018 3:12 pm
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
19 posts
1 upvote

Winter Tire Recommendation. First time ever.

Hello All

Looking for winter tire for Hyundai Sonata 2012 Turbo.

Dont know nothing about winter tires.
What to look for?
What company tires to look for?
Do i need to buy with RIM or just tires?
Where to buy it from?
Currently i have Sailun 225/45ZR18 95W XL as my all seasons tire on my car (this is from my tires sticker).

Before people starts judging and firing off their comments on WHY am i looking at winter tires NOW that half the winter has already passed, let me mention i was out of country for a while and just landed last week :)

Let me know please
Any and all help will be appreciated :)

Merry Christmas
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9247 posts
3644 upvotes
Toronto
Brah! Go to SimplyTire, go see Allen....he'll hook you up and give you good suggestions. Buy steelies for approx 50 bucks each if you're rolling with alloy's.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7605 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto
There are major brands, more expensive brands and also budget ones.
SO all levels to suit your pocket.
Often said here is that the cheapest winter tire will perform better than any all season in winter.
Most who know what they want look for deals,rebates etc early on in the season.
Many places are still busy including Costco, Simplytires and Tires23 which are the 3 most recommended on here.
Possibly because many saw the need for them only after the last couple snowfalls.
Only problem you may have is finding OEM sizing or if you are set on a particular brand it may be OOS as stocks are usually limited per season.
Keep in mind you can downgrade an inch on the wheel size to save money if you are getting separate steelies or alloys as well.
Which is a better option for less risk of damage to tires and alloys having to switch tires every season off one set of rims.
Cheaper to install once they are on separate rims too especially if you are DIY.
Aug 23, 2014
102 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Downsizing to smaller sized tires has performance (and cost) advantages, but just be aware that you might find that your car might look a bit different to you with the smaller tires. And you're going to have this look for 5 out of 12 months a year.

I did this once and regretted it. If you don't care about how your car looks then it doesn't matter.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
19 posts
1 upvote
Thanks guys for your replies

Wow i never knew i can downgrade the size of tires. I can imagine even an inch of lesser size might look different on my car. I don't know if i am too concerned about looks (if it is matter of a month or two) of my car however as Jedi14 mentioned 5 out of 12 months every year, it might be worth just spending couple more bucks (unless there is huge difference of 1 to 2K) and get the same size as current tires.

I will try to contact costco, simply tires and tire23.

I got an email from Hyundai dealership with their deals. It includes Tires, Rims and Installation, below are pricing, does it make sense to go with them directly then (note they dont have 18inch option in Sonata,i think i might have to call them to confirm if they can customize it to give 18 inch)?

All packages include 4 tires + 4 rims and complimentary installation (taxes extra).

I also was able to find quotes from SimplyTire website (they do not option of 18 inches as well for Sonata)
Images
  • Winter-Tires-landing-page2.jpg
  • screenshot-simplytire.com-2017-12-26-12-24-03-794.png
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5248 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
I'd highly suggest sizing down because the bigger the tire, the more expensive it is. My stock wheels are 19's but I got 17's for my winters and they were already fairly expensive compared to my old car which had 16's. I'd suggest seeing the smallest size that fits your car and go with that. Just need to ensure that the rims provide enough clearance for your calipers.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
19 posts
1 upvote
Thanks Havo for recommendation...

I will check out that option too - i might have to see how hyundai sonata looks like in 16 or 17 inches compare to 18s (my current wheels are 18 all season - looks good).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8489 posts
994 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Looks like due to your brakes you will need to stick with 17" alloy rims as both the dealer & simply tire suggest that size. So going smaller is not an option and there is no point in going bigger to spend more money and get less traction.

Simply tire seems to be the cheapest & still get a good brand tire. Here are my suggestions.

If you are willing to spend some more,
Option 14 package with Continental WinterContact Si - $1,400

If you want to go for something a bit cheaper but good,
Option 4 package with Hankook W419 iPike 98T XL - $1,280

Both are great tires
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
19 posts
1 upvote
Yes my tires currently are 18....even if i go 17 i just want to make sure visually there is not much impact

Thanks for your recommendation

During my research i found out one more website and can see good prices on this one - includes tires rims mount and installation
http://web1.netdrivenwebs.com/DesktopMo ... yundai.pdf
Images
  • screenshot-web1.netdrivenwebs.com-2017-12-29-14-47-33-127.png
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8489 posts
994 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I would stick with the options from Simply Tire. That last website has some questionable brands. Saying Good year Ultra Grip is the best because Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter is Goodyear’s entry-level snow tire So how can it be considered Best.
Lots of false info and expensive prices for cheap brands. I would stay away.
Torontorian wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 2:48 pm
Yes my tires currently are 18....even if i go 17 i just want to make sure visually there is not much impact

Thanks for your recommendation

During my research i found out one more website and can see good prices on this one - includes tires rims mount and installation
http://web1.netdrivenwebs.com/DesktopMo ... yundai.pdf
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5787 posts
901 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 4:05 pm
I would stick with the options from Simply Tire. That last website has some questionable brands. Saying Good year Ultra Grip is the best because Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter is Goodyear’s entry-level snow tire So how can it be considered Best.
Lots of false info and expensive prices for cheap brands. I would stay away.
Just like the "Wrangler" model has many sub models, so does the "Ultra Grip" model. Both ranging from low to high end.

They could be referring to one of the high end Ultra grip models. Not the one sold at Canadian Tire.
Feb 6, 2017
656 posts
304 upvotes
I went with budget winters on mine and I don't regret it. My tire size is 215/50/17 and get this, if I were to go with Xi3s I was quoted by Canadian Tire $940 all-in. Blizzaks from Costco would have cost me $800 all-in (this includes the $70 rebate).

I got these budget tires called Duration 30 and it ran me a whopping total of $460 all-in! They were only $84 a tire compared to $175-$200 for name brand tires. I had Xi3s on my BMW and the only difference that I notice is the noise level but traction feels the same. I'm already a safe driver (no accidents in 25 years) so considering that I saved 50% by going budget, I have little to complain about. There are those that say brand name tires are a must but there are also those can can deal with the budget tires just fine and our wallet also feels fatter at the end of the day :)
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
19 posts
1 upvote
HN12345 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 6:18 pm
I went with budget winters on mine and I don't regret it. My tire size is 215/50/17 and get this, if I were to go with Xi3s I was quoted by Canadian Tire $940 all-in. Blizzaks from Costco would have cost me $800 all-in (this includes the $70 rebate).

I got these budget tires called Duration 30 and it ran me a whopping total of $460 all-in! They were only $84 a tire compared to $175-$200 for name brand tires. I had Xi3s on my BMW and the only difference that I notice is the noise level but traction feels the same. I'm already a safe driver (no accidents in 25 years) so considering that I saved 50% by going budget, I have little to complain about. There are those that say brand name tires are a must but there are also those can can deal with the budget tires just fine and our wallet also feels fatter at the end of the day :)
I myself am not big on brand names. I am good with non-branded stuff as well, as long as it is good and has good review.

I will check out that option as well. The problem is i do not know about winter tires on what to look for spec wise (size i know but what else to look for - design tread level etc etc)

Will update the post once i end up with finalized decision :)
Nov 26, 2012
19 posts
26 upvotes
Gatineau
I was confronted to the same issue as you this year and bought the Michelin X Ice. Don’t buy cheap tires they won’t serve you well and you might regret skimping with your safety.

I read all the consumers reports that I could and concluded that the best this year are Michelin, Nokian and Bridgestone Blizzaks

I like the Michelin’s very much and they were the best quality/cost ratio for my 20 inches wheels. I like them even better, every time I have to stop on an Icy patch and not ram the guy in front of me.

As for sizing, I received the same advice about this downsizing mumbo jumbo and decided to go with the full size and I used the mag wheels that the truck came with. Good looks all year long and same road handling that the vehicule engineers designed it for. Be aware that downsizing means higher rubber side walls and more spongy road handling while cornering and changes how the car feels when you drive.

Another good reason to keep the same wheels is that they come with Tire Pressure Monitors (I assume that your car is equipped with this equipment). Unless you buy new Pressure Monitors (called TPMS) for winter wheels, you will not have the benefit of tire pressure reads by the car and a steady yellow light in your dash in winter, as et of 4 TPMS are about $200+tax added to the total. Keep your wheels and you will benefit from knowing when to inflate your tires. Winter time is when you need this feature the most due to significant temperature variations.

Good luck picking the right ones! And please let us know what you do.

P.s. the studs are good if you do a lot of out of town driving in smaller less maintained roads. In TO it’s not very useful.