Wheels and Tires

Winter Tire Recommendation. First time ever.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2018 3:12 pm
Nov 26, 2012
17 posts
26 upvotes
Gatineau
I forgot to recommend your local Tire Shop to buy them. I checked all prices online and Costco and Canadian Tire and finally it turned out that the nearby tire shop was lower than all of them and I helped a local business that will be there to help me year after year unlike those online outfits.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
19 posts
1 upvote
websunny wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:20 pm
I was confronted to the same issue as you this year and bought the Michelin X Ice. Don’t buy cheap tires they won’t serve you well and you might regret skimping with your safety.

I read all the consumers reports that I could and concluded that the best this year are Michelin, Nokian and Bridgestone Blizzaks

I like the Michelin’s very much and they were the best quality/cost ratio for my 20 inches wheels. I like them even better, every time I have to stop on an Icy patch and not ram the guy in front of me.

As for sizing, I received the same advice about this downsizing mumbo jumbo and decided to go with the full size and I used the mag wheels that the truck came with. Good looks all year long and same road handling that the vehicule engineers designed it for. Be aware that downsizing means higher rubber side walls and more spongy road handling while cornering and changes how the car feels when you drive.

Another good reason to keep the same wheels is that they come with Tire Pressure Monitors (I assume that your car is equipped with this equipment). Unless you buy new Pressure Monitors (called TPMS) for winter wheels, you will not have the benefit of tire pressure reads by the car and a steady yellow light in your dash in winter, as et of 4 TPMS are about $200+tax added to the total. Keep your wheels and you will benefit from knowing when to inflate your tires. Winter time is when you need this feature the most due to significant temperature variations.

Good luck picking the right ones! And please let us know what you do.

P.s. the studs are good if you do a lot of out of town driving in smaller less maintained roads. In TO it’s not very useful.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

After some research l have also concluded that i will go with the same size as i have right now (18 inches). I will not downsize.

And regarding tires and wheels, l have filtered out and top ones are below, now i will further research and then finalize one of them.
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS 80
- Nokian Hakkapelitta R2
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3
- Pirelli Ice Zero FR
-Continental WinterContact SI
and may be Hankook iPIke (I am still not sure about this).

I will keep you posted on what i land up on.

Also - l am debating between STEEL vs ALLOY wheels :) ...tending towards steel as it is sturdy (however i heard it rusts fast) but is durable strength wise and is also economical (not much good on looks)

P.S - How would i know if my car has TPMS? i don't have manual with me so cannot read in there. Any physical way to check it? Tried lighting up the dashboard i dont see any sign there. So my guess is my car doesn't have it?
Nov 26, 2012
17 posts
26 upvotes
Gatineau
Your tire shop can tell you if you have TPMS. If you pick steel wheels you can hide their ugliness with a set of plastic hubcaps, sold at Canadian Tire for around $50 for a set of four.

As for tires choices, the Ipike belongs in a middle of the road category (and less costly) but considering their price it’s a very good deal.

If you pick the Blizzaks, they are very good but be aware that they use-up fast. I had the BLizzak DMV’s on my SUV four wheel drive and the first couple of years they were was excellent and it went downhill on the third season including difficulty to steer on slushy corners. I wouldn’t buy these again.

For me the final choice was between the Nokian’s Hakka and the X Ice and the deciding factor was that Michelin has factories in Canada and gives jobs to Canadians, while Nokian is making them in Finland (same idea here as encouraging your local tire shop)
Torontorian wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 2:25 pm
Thank you for sharing your experience.

After some research l have also concluded that i will go with the same size as i have right now (18 inches). I will not downsize.

And regarding tires and wheels, l have filtered out and top ones are below, now i will further research and then finalize one of them.
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS 80
- Nokian Hakkapelitta R2
- Michelin X-Ice Xi3
- Pirelli Ice Zero FR
-Continental WinterContact SI
and may be Hankook iPIke (I am still not sure about this).

I will keep you posted on what i land up on.

Also - l am debating between STEEL vs ALLOY wheels :) ...tending towards steel as it is sturdy (however i heard it rusts fast) but is durable strength wise and is also economical (not much good on looks)

P.S - How would i know if my car has TPMS? i don't have manual with me so cannot read in there. Any physical way to check it? Tried lighting up the dashboard i dont see any sign there. So my guess is my car doesn't have it?