Wheels and Tires

Winter tire rims require different lug nuts ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2022 4:59 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 21, 2011
179 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
Yes, same here, wasted my one appointment
Aug 21, 2011
179 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
After lot of researches, I've understood the problem here:

OEM rim use ball seat lug nut, while others use acone seat lug nut, that the problem here
Images
  • 61Ouyg4OXuL._SL1200_.jpg
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2684 posts
1403 upvotes
Woodbridge
Interesting thread and I just had an experience at my Toyota dealership. They said that I needed a set of nuts because I was using the original all seasons ones and that they weren't the right ones for the winters. Corrosion and rust that could make them not safe even though they appear fine. I found it odd that for the past six years I've been going to that same dealer and at times they've even swapped my tires for me and never did they tell me I needed a different set. Could they have just been trying to make a sale? I have a 2011 Venza if it helps.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone know if this is still the case for new Hondas? Specifically 2019 cr-v?

I'm considering steel rims for winter and need to know if the stock lug nuts will git?

Does it make a difference if the rims are generic or OEM from Honda?
Aug 13, 2003
669 posts
542 upvotes
Calgary
This seems strange. I have had Hondas that were 2001 up to 2016 (Odyssey, Civics, Fits). I always just used (when doing it myself) plus garages have just used the same OEM lug nuts on my various aftermarket winter cheap steel rims bought at various places. Have never had a problem ever. I have asked tire places when buying tires and they have always said the OEM lug nuts will work fine.

Hey, if nothing's broken after all these years then I’m not fixing what is not broken.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
See how they are sitting against the wheels and thru the holes... not surprising if need new lug nuts especially is comparing steel to alloy wheels.

Even on one of our older vehicles with steel wheels the new lug nuts work fine but not with the plastic covers because it creates washer effect [not sure if explaining well].

Costco usually has inexpensive lug nuts.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Feb 4, 2017
137 posts
33 upvotes
Newbie here ...

How to identify which size and shape of lug nuts i need to buy for winter tires?

I was told by 3 times by tire change service that i need to have different lug nuts for winter tires. I have alloy wheel on Toyota and steel rims for winter tires.so this time i have decided to get ones.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Steel rims can usually use the standard bolts. But alloys could be either.

bhushh009 wrote: Newbie here ...

How to identify which size and shape of lug nuts i need to buy for winter tires?

I was told by 3 times by tire change service that i need to have different lug nuts for winter tires. I have alloy wheel on Toyota and steel rims for winter tires.so this time i have decided to get ones.
Mar 9, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON

look up the specifications for your car year/model . then you will know what lug nuts it is using.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London

Do the lug nuts from your Toyota alloy rims have “washers” ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7090 upvotes
West GTEH!
Swswswish wrote: It's about the seat. Almost every aftermarket rim uses 60 degree cone seat, and a majority of OEM rims also use a 60 degree cone seat.

I know for a fact that Honda OEM rims use ball seat lug nuts, so I have two sets of lug nuts, ball seat for when I use my OEM rims in the summer and 60 degree cone seat for my aftermarket winter steelies

Strong necro....
Thanks for this info. Was wondering if i needed another lug nut set for my downsized winter tires & rims. Original Honda OEM Alloy rims have 1 set of (tuner?) lug nuts.
😎
Dec 31, 2008
2 posts
Waterloo
I had same issue with Toyota dealership today, They refused to install winter tire with steel RIM I had saying that rim holes are deformed because it was installed with alloy nuts. yes it was used 1 season with alloy nuts and rims are only 1 year old.

Canadian tire did the installation last year for me and they didn't even mention that I need steel nuts. I told Toyota to install with Steel nuts but they refused to do at Dixie Toyota.

I will see if I can get it installed with local mechanic instead of dealership since dealer wanted me to buy new RIMS.

The only question is that is it safe to do? If I had used RIMS with alloy nuts for 1 season. Is it ok to go with steel nuts and use the same RIM?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
jignesh271 wrote: I had same issue with Toyota dealership today, They refused to install winter tire with steel RIM I had saying that rim holes are deformed because it was installed with alloy nuts. yes it was used 1 season with alloy nuts and rims are only 1 year old.

Canadian tire did the installation last year for me and they didn't even mention that I need steel nuts. I told Toyota to install with Steel nuts but they refused to do at Dixie Toyota.

I will see if I can get it installed with local mechanic instead of dealership since dealer wanted me to buy new RIMS.

The only question is that is it safe to do? If I had used RIMS with alloy nuts for 1 season. Is it ok to go with steel nuts and use the same RIM?
What if one of your winter rims fall out? Who are you going to blame? Go back to CT and blame them why they didn't use acorn nuts for your steelies. And blame them since they did the original work.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
jignesh271 wrote: I had same issue with Toyota dealership today, They refused to install winter tire with steel RIM I had saying that rim holes are deformed because it was installed with alloy nuts. yes it was used 1 season with alloy nuts and rims are only 1 year old.

Can you post a clean/ clear picture of the deformed area?

In general, this is an issue with Honda (ball seat vs cone seat lug nuts) and not Toyota.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Can you post a clean/ clear picture of the deformed area?

In general, this is an issue with Honda (ball seat vs cone seat lug nuts) and not Toyota.
Looks like Toyota recommends different lugs for steel wheels, centre-cap-how-find-correct-fitment-2330752/

Sounds like the gorilla at CT tighten the f out of them when they didn't sit properly, maybe get the studs checked too?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Dec 31, 2008
2 posts
Waterloo
Here are the pictures of a four RIMS. It seems like Toyota mechanic saw a rust falling from plate and said no outright. They didn't bother to look at what that rust is from.
Images
  • 20191212_143254.jpg
  • 20191212_143259.jpg
  • 20191212_143330.jpg
  • 20191212_143334.jpg
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
jignesh271 wrote: Here are the pictures of a four RIMS. It seems like Toyota mechanic saw a rust falling from plate and said no outright. They didn't bother to look at what that rust is from.
The seats look ok. Go with lug nuts for steel rims with closed ends - aka regular lugs with closed ends . They have a larger cone end

Lug nuts for Toyota alloy rims usually have an integrated washer (semi shank) with a smaller cone end

What I was looking for was if any the seats/ holes were obviously out of round - oblong shaped due to the lug nut coming loose

Toyota probably doesn’t like that you are using an aftermarket steel rim, not an oem Toyota steel rim
Oct 16, 2019
415 posts
406 upvotes
I think so. Depends on the Rim. I went to my mechanic to install a new set of winter tires + Rim, afterward, he said:" good, the lug nuts of your all season wheels fit the winter Rim, otherwise it will cost you 30 dollars for a new set of lug nuts!"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5771 posts
7832 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
Went to my wheel guy. Toyota venza oem lugs wouldn't work on steelies. Yikes!

In gonna try another shop tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to spend more $
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17377 upvotes
Markham
chilli604 wrote: Went to my wheel guy. Toyota venza oem lugs wouldn't work on steelies. Yikes!

In gonna try another shop tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to spend more $
I think they can work ie they will but they're not ideal.

https://townfairtire.com/information/wh ... ew%20wheel.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)