Winter Tires for my Infiniti G37s?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2019 3:54 pm
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes

Winter Tires for my Infiniti G37s?

Looking for some low price but high quality winter tires for my Infiniti G37s - preferably in the West GTA.

-The code for my front Summer tires are: 225/45 ZR 19

The 2 back tires are a different type as they're staggered but I understand that winter tires don't need to be staggered (according to one of the tire installation shops that I visited). I believe they're also 19" but a slightly different code.

I did some quote shopping but this is the best price that I found to date. It seems a bit pricey to me though?

They quoted me for tires with the code of: 225/55R17

-17" steel wheels $82.50 each plus taxes
-Tire pressure sensors $69.95 each plus taxes (This seems like a waste of money. Not going for tire pressure sensors)

The tires are either:
-BFGoodrich Winter KSI $200 each ($70 rebate available)

OR:

-Bridgestone Blizzak $225 each ($50 rebate available)

-Tire prices include installation and balancing but do not include taxes.

Overall price would be around $1,300 for the purchase, installation and balancing of all 4 tires with rims, minus tire pressure sensors.

Compared to the Infiniti dealership ($2,400) and another shop ($1,900), these guys were the least expensive, but it's still $1,300, which seems excessive to me.

Thoughts? Recommendations? All welcome.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
You can do better than $1300.
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
Thanks @derass . I thought $1,300 was a bit much but maybe not. Well compared to the other 2 places, it's way less expensive, that's for sure.

Totally understand about the 17" and this is my main concern here because I'm getting conflicting answers from several places.

It's weird because one of the tire installation shops said I can put 17" on the G37s with a spacer in between the brakes and no problems - he confirmed this with several of his suppliers.

But I went to the Infiniti dealership and they also said 18" are minimum and 17" wouldn't work, and they were quite adamant on that. So I'm getting conflicted answers here...
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
derass wrote: You can do better than $1300.
I saw you edited your post, so $1300 is too much as I thought, huh?

I see $750, but I have the fully-loaded sport package model - The G37s. They said they have bigger brakes compared to the standard G37, meaning 18" is the minimum size as opposed to the 17" size that could fit onto the standard G37?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Ya, my bad. $1300 is expensive for 17's. Cheap for 18's. I was looking at the prices for G37s with the optional big brakes that requires 18's. 17's are a few hundred dollars cheaper for the set.

Do you have the big brakes? Or standard?

Big:

Standard:
Last edited by derass on Nov 30th, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
derass wrote: Ya, my bad. $1300 is expensive for 17's. Cheap for 18's. I was looking at the prices for G37s with the optional big brakes that requires 18's. 17's are a few hundred dollars cheaper for the set.

Do you have the big brakes? Or standard?
I honestly have no clue. Is there a way to find out? I just got this car 7 months ago.

Can I just take a pic of the entire tire with rim (currently summers on) and you'll be able to figure it out by looking at it?
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
@derass - Thanks for posting those pics. It gives me some more context.

Also, I just took a couple of photos of my tires and brakes. I still can't sufficiently tell but they look like the bigger brakes to me that only take the 18"+? Your thoughts?

20181130_185215.jpg
20181130_185232.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Size your tires at Tire Rack website by choosing your vehicle with year, make, model and additional model information. Choose winter package (wheel and tire) and see what tire size options are available.
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
DavidY wrote: Size your tires at Tire Rack website by choosing your vehicle with year, make, model and additional model information. Choose winter package (wheel and tire) and see what tire size options are available.
I got the following message after inputting all of the details:

"WE'RE SORRY.
There are no tires available for your vehicle."

-_-
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
EnlightenedMind wrote: @derass - Thanks for posting those pics. It gives me some more context.

Also, I just took a couple of photos of my tires and brakes. I still can't sufficiently tell but they look like the bigger brakes to me that only take the 18"+? Your thoughts?
Ya, you have the big brakes. I punched in a 2013 G37 Sport on Tirerack, and they're suggesting 18" and 19" winter tire packages. So it looks like the smallest you can go is 18". I wouldn't listen to these guys talking about using 17" and spacers.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Go to Simply Tire in the GTA and see what is available for tire and wheel packages (winter performance?). Ask for a RFD discount too. Cannot hurt to try.

Dave
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
derass wrote: Ya, you have the big brakes. I punched in a 2013 G37 Sport on Tirerack, and they're suggesting 18" and 19" winter tire packages. So it looks like the smallest you can go is 18". I wouldn't listen to these guys talking about using 17" and spacers.
Yeah true.

It's too bad because the guys saying the 17" with spacers will work is a mechanic I trust and have gone to over the years for other vehicles.

Just a bit unfortunate here... There is a big price difference between the 17" and 18" tires. This is why I need to make sure, beyond just safety.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Wheel spacers will work, it pushes the rim outward to clear the brakes but the car will look awkward with a 17 inch rim. Quality spacers are min $50 each. The best, cheapest and safest option is to go with 18 inch hubcentric steelies or aftermarket alloys. Also, the rubber bleeder cap on your caliper is missing. Better get those back on otherwise your bleeders will seize for sure, if they are not already seized.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
EnlightenedMind wrote: Yeah true.

It's too bad because the guys saying the 17" with spacers will work is a mechanic I trust and have gone to over the years for other vehicles.

Just a bit unfortunate here... There is a big price difference between the 17" and 18" tires. This is why I need to make sure, beyond just safety.
Grab a ruler and measure the diameter of your rotor + the caliper, make sure you do it properly not end of rotor to top of caliper. Measure the inside diameter of the 17" of rim you gonna buy. Also measure the offset make sure the caliper sticks out don't rub the back of the rim. This is where spacers would come in handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Go to Simply Tire but call them NOW because they are booked for weeks. I went there with my car and I have a BigBrakeKit and we selected some 18" alloy wheels & they said it would clear my brakes. We test fit them and they cleared but they even gave me a free spacer just to give me a little bit more space if I wanted. These guys have the experience to set you up properly and safely. I have been going to them for years without issues.

The other option would be Tires23 In Sauga they are also very good and I have dealt with them in the past with good results.

Also I would stick with the Continental Tires/Blizzak/Nokian R3. THose are all great tires.
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
Swerny wrote: 18 inch packages at Simply Tire with ALLOY wheels, not steelies run from $1400 with Firestones to $2130 for Pirelli's.

TPMS sensors are an extra $350.

http://simplytire.com/winter/infinitipdf.pdf
Oh man... So expensive. I really didn't want to spend over $1000 on winter tires... Anything cheaper? I've been shopping around. The lowest I saw are for the 17" with spacers for $1300 but as other people have said as well as the Infiniti dealer, they won't fit. You need a minimum of 18" tires to fit on this car.

Another store had them for nearly $1900, while the Infiniti dealership had them for $2300.

*Sigh
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
These are already rock bottom prices.

What about 19" winter tires on your current wheels? That might save a couple hundred.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
You could get a decent beater for $2k. You plan to keep this car? Cause that's a hell of an expense if you don't plan to keep it. You could also park the car for a few months. I have a 2003 Coupe that's never been winter driven, I just don't see much point in driving a low slung RWD coupe in winter. Your cheapest option is Simply tire or go used on Kijiji but that has it's own specific risks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)