Tags:
None
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto

Winter tires VS ALL Weather tires

So I'm just finding out about all weather tires! Aren't these better than winters? How come they're not more well known/ advertised?

Note I am NOT talking about all season tires, I'm talking all weather tires that can perform in rain snow sleet and dry pavement. I wonder how come more people don't know about these tires or why they aren't marketed more, I would guess the tire industry would rather make money off you twice a year instead of once.
Idle hands are the devils playthings
52 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Search feature dun goofed.
Jan 9, 2009
382 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
OP obviously is trolling unless he's been driving mid tier + sports cars all his life.

Pretty sure he's just making fun of all the drivers on all seasons during this snow / ice storm that we are receiving.

On a separate note, all seasons are not actually made for the winter and should really be considered as a 3 season tire.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
sunny87 wrote: OP obviously is trolling unless he's been driving mid tier + sports cars all his life.

Pretty sure he's just making fun of all the drivers on all seasons during this snow / ice storm that we are receiving.

On a separate note, all seasons are not actually made for the winter and should really be considered as a 3 season tire.
Pretty sure they are asking about all weather tires that are fairly new and different than all season tire. All season tire are truly only designed to work for 3 seasons. All weather tire is designed to work in all 4 seasons and it's made so that you can drive on it in summer. However, it is still a compromise compared to a true Winter tire in snow and ice. It will do better than all season in snow for sure though.

All weather tire is made for people that want better traction in winter but don't want the hassle of having to swap 2 sets of tires/storage etc.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
i just came back from using my summers in the snow. had no problems at all.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5101 posts
718 upvotes
Ancaster
Agreed. I just put a set of all seasons on my boat. Got around town just fine. All-season tires are miracles!!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1201 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Depends on what kind of driving you do. If it's just casual, in town for short commutes and urban areas (or if you like in Vancouver/Victoria) then you don't need to hassle yourself with winter tires.

However, if you do a lot of driving in the winter seasons, they make a huge difference in reaction and control even in extremely icy conditions. Assess it for yourself and decide then.
Dec 1, 2013
190 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
Most Canadians think All Weather tires = All Season tires. There is poor awareness when it comes to these tires. IMO if you live in a climate where the winters aren't harsh and you only have to deal with ice, slush and a few inches of snow these are the tires to get. I've had Nokian All Weathers on my Golf for the past 2 years and I live in Ottawa. They perform as good as my X-ice's.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2253 posts
270 upvotes
An all weather tire will not perform as well as a high performance summer tire. Nor will it perform as well as a true winter tire.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Aug 3, 2011
418 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
No, they (assuming Nokian WR3 or Hankook Optimo 4S) aren't better than the dedicated Winter tires. Also, unless I can find them EVERYWHERE, I won't look at them. Monopolized in one retail chain = no competition to lower the price.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
For winter driving, winter tires still outperform all weather tires. If you live in a mild winter climate and don't have storage space, then get a set of all weather tires. They will be better than all season tires. However, if you live in the other parts of Canada where winter conditions rule, then a set of dedicated winter tires will be the best for control in winter conditions like snow, ice and freezing rain.

Dave
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
...and end up being those idiots slowing down traffic on the 401 driving 80kph when they could be doing at least 100kph in a couple inches of snow.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3210 posts
807 upvotes
All seasons are not as good in gripping snow and ice compared to winter tires. That's a fact, and there's lot of articles and videos to prove why.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote: i just came back from using my summers in the snow. had no problems at all.
Right Ayrton
Aug 2, 2006
328 posts
43 upvotes
There is a difference between all season tires, and all season winter tires.
Aug 5, 2012
699 posts
561 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
blackdragon12 wrote: All seasons are not as good in gripping snow and ice compared to winter tires. That's a fact, and there's lot of articles and videos to prove why.
The OP had a question about allweather tires and not allseason as you had assumed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Arabidopsis wrote: ....... Also, unless I can find them EVERYWHERE, I won't look at them. Monopolized in one retail chain = no competition to lower the price.
While the Hankook Optima 4S may be exclusive to CT, Nokians are available other than at Kaltire. http://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/win ... okian.tire

Yokohama W.Drive should be available everywhere.

Also, Vredestein Quatrac.

All-Weather tires tend to have stiffer sidewalls and generally be built tougher than most All-Seasons and many Winter tires, thus being able to dissipate heat better in Summer.

Thats why the pricing is at a higher level, and there is probably not much as much scope for competitive price cutting compared to Winters and All-Seasons.
Dec 28, 2012
296 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
All Weather Tires: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVL7Il4zK28#t=69

"All-weathers are something of a ’tweener tire, suited to markets such as Toronto’s and Vancouver’s with relatively mild winter climates. All-weathers differ from all-seasons in that they meet the established standard for winter use, as indicated by the snow flake/mountain icon on the sidewalls. Yet unlike winter tires, they can be used in spring, summer and fall, too." - DAN PROUDFOOT
Read More: http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-driv ... ice=mobile
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
I prefer dedicated 3 season and a separate winter tire instead of the nokians because I can purchase both sets for roughly the same price and they'll last twice as long.

I live in Vancouver and I don't put my snow tires on often but we do like to visit the mountains in the winter

The only negative is I have to store separate mags/tires

I try to find the best wet traction tire and then the best snow traction tire. Both will be better for their purpose than an all weather tire.

If storage was an issue then for sure i'd buy the nokians they are a decent tire