Home & Garden

Winterize outside faucet that drips.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2016 11:01 pm
Nov 20, 2015
385 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary, AB
AMD wrote: Don't worry about the water lines being close to the breaker panel. Nothing is going to explode.
A lot of homes are built like that, it's just fine.
In my house the main drain stack is right next to the panel. Annoying when working on the panel as there is less space, but other than that it doesn't matter.
Thanks, I Googled and found some info saying that as long as it doesn't affect the access to the panel then it's OK in terms of code.

But I still think the guy was sill to have the bleeder valve thing facing the panel.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Amazing I've never seen plumbing and electrical done like that before.

At least its neat and labeled?
And I do mean neat the wiring is even done in increasing gage.
Nov 20, 2015
385 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary, AB
tebore wrote: Amazing I've never seen plumbing and electrical done like that before.

At least its neat and labeled?
And I do mean neat the wiring is even done in increasing gage.
It is extremely neat, everything labelled etc. Kinda reminds of a well maintained server room when I have a look down there.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
AV-Fishing wrote:
themank wrote: Image

Ok, there is a little thingy on the side of the shut off. Is that where I am supposed to drain the water in the pipes?

I am surprised this house has water so close to the electrical board so I suppose I will need to cover the board before draining the water?

I don't see how having water in the pipes would cause a drip for such a long time so I bet the shut off is a bit faulty.
Who's the builder of this premises??

I really wonder if they ever tried frying themselves.

Water pipes PLUS Electrical wiring ... great combination.
GOOD GOD! I am 99% sure this isn't to Ontario code. It's certainly not to "make any sense at all code". I am a DIY plumber and I consider it a beer worthy victory with cake if I complete a job with absolutely zero water spill. That has happened once in the last 25ish DIY plumber years of my life
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
denti72 wrote: i'm so surprised this passed inspection. I would hope or think there's something in building codes that states any water run needs to be x feet from the breaker panel....
Gotta be GFCI within 4 feet of a plumbing fixture but no issues running 200 amp and the 3/4 city supply side by side... wow. "For some reason my carpet downstairs is a little wet and a little shocky"
Apr 21, 2015
74 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't loose sleep over it! Other than your pipe bleeding attemps pre-winter every year ;) Those pipes won't spontaneously burst and spray the electrical panel. Rest easy :)
Nov 20, 2015
385 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary, AB
TomCruise wrote: I wouldn't loose sleep over it! Other than your pipe bleeding attemps pre-winter every year ;) Those pipes won't spontaneously burst and spray the electrical panel. Rest easy :)
I have a plumber coming out on Thursday to change out the shut off. I'm not worried about water getting on the ridiculously close electrical panel as much and I'm worried about the pipes freezing at the outside taps. After the bleeding attempt both taps were dripping the next day and I put a bucket under one of them and I would guess there was about 1.5 litres in it after 2 days. Oh well, I just want some peace of mind.

I really appreciate your help though!
Nov 20, 2015
385 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Just an update if anyone is interested... I had the plumber out and he said that he has had to replace a few of those types of shut offs recently and they are now using a new kind of shut off tap. He could be talking crap but honestly I don't know any better and their work is guaranteed.

He also could not believe how the previous plumber installed the existing shut off which made it very difficult to drain so he installed another little tap to make it easier to drain and to keep the water away from the electrical box.

Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
I would go and remove that electrical tape around the wiring. Yes it looks neat but when there is that many wires close together they all generate heat and cannot dissipate the heat when so close together. The plastic straps are fine just remove all the tape.
themank wrote: Just an update if anyone is interested... I had the plumber out and he said that he has had to replace a few of those types of shut offs recently and they are now using a new kind of shut off tap. He could be talking crap but honestly I don't know any better and their work is guaranteed.

He also could not believe how the previous plumber installed the existing shut off which made it very difficult to drain so he installed another little tap to make it easier to drain and to keep the water away from the electrical box.

Nov 20, 2015
385 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary, AB
fusion2k2k wrote: I would go and remove that electrical tape around the wiring. Yes it looks neat but when there is that many wires close together they all generate heat and cannot dissipate the heat when so close together. The plastic straps are fine just remove all the tape.
themank wrote: Just an update if anyone is interested... I had the plumber out and he said that he has had to replace a few of those types of shut offs recently and they are now using a new kind of shut off tap. He could be talking crap but honestly I don't know any better and their work is guaranteed.

Maybe that is why the water line is so close, in case the wires get too hot you can cool them down with the water.