Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 8:45 am
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2007
13405 posts
5163 upvotes
Kitchener
Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

F.A.Q

Q: Will this work on a regular smart phone ?
A: Yes, just be aware of the voice/SMS charges (voice: $1 per minute + $0.45 LD, SMS: $0.25 each in Canada, $0.45 each elsewhere).

Q: How are people making best use of this data-only plan ?
A: by either using it for data in a dual SIM phone, or using it as a primary sim coupled with VoIP service (fongo/voip.ms) once they port their main number over to the VoIP provider.

Q: Why isn't my LTE device connecting to LTE network despite being in coverage ?
A: Check your APN settings: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/con ... vice-guide

Q: What about roaming outside Canada ?
A: International/US roaming is not free, make sure you disable it on your phone or call Fido and get them to disable it for you.

Q: Can I block voice/SMS to avoid accidental charges ?
A: Yes, you can block either incoming (SMS AND voice) or outgoing (SMS AND voice) or block both, call support and just ask.

Q: Is receiving SMS free ?
A: yup.
Dec 27, 2007
13405 posts
5163 upvotes
Kitchener
VoIP options:
Mickey21444 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 12:10 am
Ya, for those that care -

US/Canada calling without credits and free with ads - textnow (lots of ads - $40/year to remove), and talkatone ($13.99 to remove ads lifetime)

Canada wide calling - Fongo (ads removed for 6.99 - lifetime), listen (no ads)

Canada/US calling with no ads (outgoing only) - hangouts

US, Canada, Australia, NZ, UK, France, Germany calling for free, free international text, end to end encryption, no ads - Sudo

Hope this helps anyone looking around
Mickey21444 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 2:57 pm
I guess I should have also listed these two as well:

Line: messenger app that gives free calls for 5 minutes to US and 3 minutes to canada for each call, then disconnects

Voico - free unlimited HD calls to Mexico/Canada/US with voico Out, but SMS is 1cent. It can display your current phone number or you can buy a phone number (pretty pricey to buy number)

To my surprise, Voico is the best quality calling by a large margin in my experience (iPhone). So this may come in handy for people who use another service like pinger or textnow for free text and incoming calls and then can use Voico for high quality outgoing calls (again, it will display the number you put in, so people will know it's you).

If I missed any good services, feel free to add. I just figure this will save people some time who were in the same boat as me looking for a good call and text app. So far there is no perfect app (free call, SMS/MMS, callkit, siri integration, voicemail, call waiting etc.) but the good thing is most of these apps update frequently with new features...so keeping my fingers crossed that one of them steps up.

Hope this helps
Available addons:
StickySituation wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:44 pm
I just confirmed that you can have the following add-ons for this plan

Texting:
- $5/200 texts
- $10/unlimited texting

Call forwarding:
- All calls (incoming/outgoing/forwarded) are charged airtime at a base rate of $1/min
- pay-per-use call forwarding is an additional $0.20/min (I confirmed that caller ID will be passed onto the forwarded number)
- forwarding to a non-local number is an additional $0.55/min
- or get $3/2500 minutes of call forwarding to a local number

Call Display: $7/month
Name Display: $8/month

Value pack add-on
- http://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/add-ons/value-packs
- unlimited texting, 2500 call forwarding minutes, Name display, voicemail-to-text, and other things
- costs $5/month
- requires call display (additional $7/month) so total cost is $12/month
Jan 26, 2017
26 posts
Hey guys, I am using a nexus 5 android phone in Alberta and so far the fongo calls, people have been telling me they are hearing alot of echo. I want to use VoIP. Ms, but it seems a little daunting. Are there any step to step instructions on how to set it up. Is there a trial version for free so I can see if the call quality is better
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1119 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver
Youcanbyteme wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 1:50 am
Hey guys, I am using a nexus 5 android phone in Alberta and so far the fongo calls, people have been telling me they are hearing alot of echo. I want to use VoIP. Ms, but it seems a little daunting. Are there any step to step instructions on how to set it up. Is there a trial version for free so I can see if the call quality is better
FONGO = Bad on Android. Period.
FONGO = Bad anywhere except, perhaps, some Eastern parts of the country [close to their servrs.
FONGO = Bad, notoriously, on Nexus 4 and 5 in general.
All of these statements are hard facts, topic of many forums, and no need to comment any further.
---
Now, with VOIP.ms it is totally different story. Yes, learning curve is a bit steep at the beginning, but - DON’T LET THAT TURN YOU AWAY - rewards are aplenty. We all went through this.

You will have to follow THIS-Guide.

It will cost you $25US to start - to obtain DID (later you can port your own # ) and pre-pay for future usage.] This money NEVER expires until you use it [no refunds, tho.] EDIT: Sorry, yes, there is a refund option!

On your phone use either ZOPIER or CSipSimple

ZOPIER is simpler for the first time users; later – in a few weeks, when you learn nuff – you will probably jump on CSipSimple due to way more options and granular level of control, not to mention better Codecs that you may [or may not] need…

So, what I’m suggesting is:

Open an account with VOIP.ms;
Buy minimum credits;
Get a temporary DID;
Install softphone app on your phone;
Start learning and using it [follow links I gave you first – everything else will fall in place soon.
Then transfer your own phone number over and Bob is your Brother-in-law..

Side note: their Tech support is top-notch. Reach them over Chat [or email] they are very friendly and fast to answer. Helped me a lot when I started [lol, just this reminded me how ignorant I was when I started!!!] Face With Tears Of Joy

EDIT:

Oh, BTW, I forgot to tell you the most important thing:

You will need just a basic setup of your ZOPIER/VOIP.ms combo, and for incoming calls only.

You should install Hangouts Dialer on your phone and call all of the North America for free. [You verify your own number with Hangouts, than set it as your caller ID when you call out; when people call you back it will be directed to your ZOPIER/CSSimple app by VOIP.ms (once you port your number there) so you will pay less than 1 cent/minute for incoming call. [Hung up and call them back for free! Smiling Face With Open Mouth]

So your $25 will last you better part of the year.

[Note that you can use Hangout for calling right away too, BUT darn FONGO will not let you receive verification code from Hangouts, so you cannot use it as your caller ID number. Your calls will be much better quality then FONGO, however you will be "Unknown number.]]
Last edited by max011 on Feb 3rd, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3336 posts
429 upvotes
I'm using Fongo on a LG G3 (CM14.1), and I have no issues. I can't tell the voice quality between it and a landline. The person on the other side has no issues hearing me either.
signature closed for renovation
Dec 17, 2009
138 posts
9 upvotes
Anyone using this plan with a redmi note 2 (dual sim phone)?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2598 posts
423 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
max011 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 4:27 am
You should install Hangouts Dialer on your phone and call all of the North America for free. [You verify your own number with Hangouts, than set it as your caller ID when you call out; when people call you back it will be directed to your ZOPIER/CSSimple app by VOIP.ms (once you port your number there) so you will pay less than 1 cent/minute for incoming call. [Hung up and call them back for free! Smiling Face With Open Mouth]
I got the fido plan some months back and am still weighing my voip options. And i'm switching phones which makes me have to do all the research again.

I'm thinking i want to do exactly what you describe on a Nexus 5 but i am one that managed to get a google voice number. so when i call out with hangouts dialer my Caller ID is my US based google voice number. I dont' think you can change it if you have gvoice. is there any way we can do this without confusing our friends where they will receive calls from me that show a US number and then call me at my canadian number?
Last edited by Kevinck on Feb 3rd, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 6, 2012
81 posts
21 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Kevinck wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 9:24 am
I got the fido plan some months back and am still weighing my voip options. And i'm switching phones which makes me have to do all the research again.

I'm thinking i want to do exactly what you describe on a Nexus 5 but i am one that managed to get a google voice number. so when i call out with hangouts dialer my Caller ID is my US based google voice number. I dont' think you can change it if you have gvoice. is there any way we can do this without confusing our friends where they will receive calls from me that show a US number and then call me at my canadian number?
If you already have google voice number, you may have to create another google account to verify your Canadian number on hangout because your google voice number is linked with your google account.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10512 posts
3336 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kevinck wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 9:24 am
I also have a N5 and GV number. I've looked into this issue as well and couldn't find a solution, i.e. any way to spoof GV's US number with a Canadian number.

There are two sub-issues IMO:
1. Will people not answer (or worse, block) calls from unknown US numbers? I don't think so. Back in the days when there were relatively few Canadian area codes, it was relatively easy to recognize them (and thus recognize US ones.) But now with all the new overlaid area codes it's becoming increasingly difficult for people to do that. For example, where's area code 548? What about 862?
2. Most people these days can call the US either for free as part of a monthly package or for a couple of cents a minute. So while cost may have been an issue back in the days when LD costs were significant, I suspect few people care any more.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 28, 2016
66 posts
11 upvotes
If people are having trouble getting ahold of you I was thinking that they could send a text for call the fido sim number. You would always get those calls and texts and answer using your voip provider. It's very inconvenient, but if you're absolutely determined to save a buck.
Apr 1, 2009
175 posts
127 upvotes
Winnipeg
Another thing to consider, additional data is 10$/gb and they cut you off at 8 gb temporarily to prevent massive overage. Even at that you're still only looking at 65 before taxes for 8 gb. For those like me who were migrating from a 6 gb data plan.

I've had minor surprises with fongo (if you are using two factor authentication be sure to disable and then re enable with the fido SIM number as fongo can't receive premium sms) but the call quality has not been an issue, it's virtually identical to my previous cell service with koodo. Fwiw. Total cost of getting set up was 15 for the SIM, 25 to port the number, 15 for fongo Canada USA sms for 6 months, and 7$ to kill the adds on the ios app. Easily recouped within 2 months compared to my former plan.
Jan 26, 2017
26 posts
max011 wrote:

It will cost you $25US to start - to obtain DID (later you can port your own # ) and pre-pay for future usage.] This money NEVER expires until you use it [no refunds, tho.]

You will need just a basic setup of your ZOPIER/VOIP.ms combo, and for incoming calls only.

So your $25 will last you better part of the year.

[Note that you can use Hangout for calling right away too, BUT darn FONGO will not let you receive verification code from Hangouts, so you cannot use it as your caller ID number. Your calls will be much better quality then FONGO, however you will be "Unknown number.]]
Thanks for the informative reply! On the voip.ms website, when I buy a DID number, it asks me to choose the $0.85 option(0.009 cents /minute) or ~$5 option(unlimited); I guess it comes down to whether I call a lot. Can I change this option month to month depending on how busy I get with my phone?

I don't quite understand what you mean by the last part of your message. Do you use ZOIPER/voip.ms is for incoming calls only?

What number do I verify with the Hangout Dialer? The fido number or the voip.ms number? What is the purpose of Hangouts Dialer? Is it for outgoing calls and free?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1323 posts
295 upvotes
Youcanbyteme wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 11:34 am
Thanks for the informative reply! On the voip.ms website, when I buy a DID number, it asks me to choose the $0.85 option(0.009 cents /minute) or ~$5 option(unlimited); I guess it comes down to whether I call a lot. Can I change this option month to month depending on how busy I get with my phone?
Yes, you can change this at any time. I started with the $0.85 option and am still on it. For outgoing you can change to "Value" instead of "Premium" and that's half the price.
Current Favorites: Fido $15/3GB & My Mall Box
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
286 upvotes
max011 wrote:
when you learn nuff – you will probably jump on CSipSimple due to way more options and granular level of control, not to mention better Codecs that you may [or may not] need…
CSipSimple does have settings but VOIP providers don't support 99% of setttings. Only real quality improvement can come from OPUS and nobody supports that hence its useless. There is no common SMS protocol so we need proprietary apps per each provider.

As a result I use Google official dialer. It's clean, simple, doesn't crash or hang. I wish it did more but it's not that simple.

If you can convince people around you to get on board with data to data calling, Signal just implemented OPUS and does not violate your privacy like WhatsApp by uploading entire phonebook.
Mar 2, 2008
202 posts
114 upvotes
Penticton
max011 wrote:
FONGO = Bad on Android. Period.
FONGO = Bad anywhere except, perhaps, some Eastern parts of the country [close to their servrs.
FONGO = Bad, notoriously, on Nexus 4 and 5 in general.
All of these statements are hard facts, topic of many forums, and no need to comment any further.
Hard facts? Subjective statements are hardly facts. I have a Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 and use both Fongo and Hangouts - in BC and Arizona/Utah. Neither is perfect, but they are far from terrible in my experience. If comparing to digital mobile experience, they are indeed inferior, but that is independent of handset, OS, or VOIP app.

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend for business use, but personal use should be fine if your expectations aren't impossibly high.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

flyboy320