Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 6:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2577 posts
683 upvotes
Halifax
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:47 pm
@bridonca @proplayer44 Just wondering, is the easiest way to get a GV number to just buy an empty sim from anywhere in the states, then activate it?

Btw FYI to everyone else: I tried adding a US number on voip.ms to verify GV number, but google somehow doesn't allow that.
I do not know if this will work anymore, because I did this years ago. But this is what I did.

I got a free US number from a SIP provider. The one I used seems not to exist anymore. But these 2 companies still offer free US phone numbers. https://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number http://ipcomms.net/freedid I have used both companies free service in the past, but never for GV verification, so your mileage may vary. You probably should say you are not in the US or Canada, if they ask, to bypass 911 red tape.

This is the catch. And I think it is why you had poor luck. Google Voice needs to think you are in the US, You you either need an Amerifriend to register, or use a US based VPN. I do not know of any good, free, US based VPN's, so your on your own there. I strongly recommend you set up a separate google account for this endevour.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2009 posts
884 upvotes
bridonca wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 5:08 pm
I do not know if this will work anymore, because I did this years ago. But this is what I did.

I got a free US number from a SIP provider. The one I used seems not to exist anymore. But these 2 companies still offer free US phone numbers. https://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number http://ipcomms.net/freedid I have used both companies free service in the past, but never for GV verification, so your mileage may vary. You probably should say you are not in the US or Canada, if they ask, to bypass 911 red tape.

This is the catch. And I think it is why you had poor luck. Google Voice needs to think you are in the US, You you either need an Amerifriend to register, or use a US based VPN. I do not know of any good, free, US based VPN's, so your on your own there. I strongly recommend you set up a separate google account for this endevour.
Old info. Only US SIM will do now for verification or US landline, no more VoIP/SIP hacks :)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4783 posts
118 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 5:12 pm
Old info. Only US SIM will do now for verification or US landline, no more VoIP/SIP hacks :)
So i just need to get a prepaid sim from tmobile or at&t?
Whats the cheapest, via ebay and prepaid 10$?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2009 posts
884 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 6:38 pm
So i just need to get a prepaid sim from tmobile or at&t?
Whats the cheapest, via ebay and prepaid 10$?
Yes, I think T-Mobile is cheaper as it comes with some activation credit. You just need it for a few seconds for the verification call in roaming.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1112 posts
334 upvotes
Quebec
Kevinck wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:24 am
Here's how the GV and voip.ms thing works.

Montly Cost
Pay $0.85/month for a canadian number with voip.ms
In your voip.ms setup you forward all calls to your GV number

Incoming Calls
When someone calls your voip.ms number it immediatly rings your GV number. (which is awesome because it rings on all my connected devices and i can choose on which one to answer). You get charged $0.009 /min for the call to voip.ms and $0.01/min for the forwarding to gvoice. so even if you don't answer, you get charged. But they charge in 10 second intervals i think. So, for example, a 19 second incoming call charged me $0.0057. That's half a cent. A 4 second incoming call cost me $0.0019.

When someone calls your GV number it rings exactly the same on all your connected devices. you get charged nothing.

Outgoing Callse
On your phone when you want to phone out you have two choices.
Use the hangouts dialer to call out and get charged nothing. People will see your GV number on their call display. You cannot change this when you have a real GV number. people that don't have GV and use hangouts dialer can go through some sort of authentication process so they can set any number in their call display. You cannot do this with GV. it will always bee your GV number.

Or use some sort of sip app that you've setup with your voip.ms credentials. You will get charged $0.009 per minute and people will see your voip.ms number on their call display. Actually with voip.ms you can make freely make it show any number on call display. But most likely you'll set it up with your voip.ms number.

Texting
You can send/receive texts from/to your GV number using hangouts dialer
You can send/receive texts from/to your voip.ms nubmber using the "voip.ms sms" app. It is pretty good. supports push notifications.
But my personal recommendation is to get all your friends to just use your GV number for texting because the hangouts dialer integrates so nicely.

Comments
Forwarding does not affect call quality/latency/anything. An incoming call to voip.ms forwarded to GV will be exactly the same as an incoming call directly to your GV or to your voip.ms

The reason you don't just use a sip app all the time for both incoming and outgoing calls is because of a common problem of battery drain or staying properly registered to recieve incoming calls.. Some apps may do it better than others (i hear groundwire uses real google integrated push notifications and might therefor not drain battery) but the convenience of having it forward to hangouts dialer for seamless integration with android is very nice. It's perfectly ok to use the sip app for outgoing calls because you can set them up to only connect when you launch it and completely disconnect when you close it.

I am not a heavy cell user so i've just made sure that anyone i care about has both my voip.ms and my GV number in their address book entry for me. And if i'm making a call to someone new i'll use the sip app to make an outgoing call and therefore they'll see my voip.ms number.

Hope this helps.
It does help, thanks! I think this post should be added to the OP or to the thread summary.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2009 posts
884 upvotes
Dukman wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:32 pm
I had my eye on this one. Can you confirm that the Simply prepaid plan roaming works?
Unfortunately I cannot confirm this, in theory it should work but whether the SIM will activate in roaming without ever having connected to a T-Mobile tower I can only guess, I have done the same with other providers but not with T-Mo, sorry :( worst case scenario you can always do a weekend trip to Niagara Falls and there you should be fine :)
May 5, 2008
892 posts
205 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:16 pm
Based on MadCanadian's response this would be risky. Once the prepaid SIM expires you'll lose the number. Carriers recycle expired numbers so if the new assignee uses it to get their own GV account yours could be deactivated.

FWIW that strikes me as a lousy policy by Google. People change phone numbers, terminate lines, etc. routinely--perhaps even because they want to use GV as their exclusive phone number. Surely GV must give a warning before deactivating an account and offer some option to keep it in force. Losing GV, especially suddenly without warning could also lead to dangerous situations like the inability to call for help in an emergency.
I still have t-mo sim used to activate GV, buttheat number is no longer registered on the GV account.
All forwarding goes now to Hangouts/Google Talk.

It seems having an active forwarding number is NOT necessary for GV to function properly.

But does it mean that my GV has effectively forgotten that t-mo number?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
G0AT wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:45 am
My wife uses TextNow for calling and texting, and it has been amazing. Completely free to US & Canada.
I use textmeup instead serving voice call and text need
PS other details re TextmeUp
Textmeup comes with a local Canadian # of your choice, free text and free incoming call. If you feel like paying for voice call that costs 2 cents a minute almost to worldwide location. If you cheat, you can text the other parties to call you back.
The fun part is in sending text in novel manner in addition to sending it through the app in the cell (like textNow).
You can type out long articles on full size keyboard and send text to many parties instead (via easy copy/paste operation) after logging on with your desktop, laptop or netbook (Linux or Windows) to your account at TextmeUp.com
On the desktop you can see all contacts and previous text to each of them. And you can text them wherever you are (worldwide) on your desktop/laptop.
Also you can use the # to verify your Whatsapp
Calling through bluetooth device has no problem too
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Apr 28, 2013
85 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Can we get a list of 'simple' applications (instead of voip.ms route) that allow porting of an existing phone number? So far I've seen Fongo and Textnow. Benefits and drawbacks would also be helpful.

I feel that a lot of people, like myself, are interested in going this route just to start out.

I know the old thread had lots of information but I found that there was a lot of conflicting information and opinions. Similarly, some information might not even be relevant today.

Thanks
Last edited by gabe3366 on Nov 14th, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10498 posts
3321 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gabe3366 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:48 am
So far I've seen Fongo and Textnow...

I know the old thread had lots of information but I found that their was a lot of conflicting information and opinions. Similarly, some information might not even be relevant today.
Fongo ports numbers for Canadian accounts. There's a $25 one-time fee. It can take a week or longer to happen during which time you can't use that number. Fongo is a great way to "park" a number that you don't want to lose. (I believe, but am not 100% sure that you have to make at least one outgoing call every 90 days to keep an account alive. That's not a problem if you set a recurring reminder in your Calendar.)

TextNow doesn't port numbers for Canadian accounts. That's been the case all along and still is, at least as of March 2017: Port a Canadian phone number

Speaking of TextNow, here's an interesting article about their success in the US and the roadblocks they face in Canada from the oligopolists and their buddies at the CRTC: TextNow growing rapidly, but it’s still frozen out of Canada. Quite an achievement.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 17, 2014
536 posts
154 upvotes
Corunna, ON
If you want to avoid learning and using VoIP.ms and still want the great quality of using GV and are ok with losing your number, TEXTNow is an awesome solution.

With the paid version you can forward all calls to GV just like VoIP.ms.
The texting app works perfectly and allows for MMS.

I currently have 3 numbers.
1. VoIP.ms that is my original # that I sometimes still get a call/text on.
2. My GV which I call with and receive some texts on.
3. My TEXTNOW # that I give to everyone who wants to text.

I have one friend who has to pay to text US numbers and we often send MMS back and forth. He didn't want to be bothered with other apps so I decided to just use TextNow and I told a bunch of people I have a new number. (Although I still have my original). But I may cancel it now.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4166 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
proplayer44 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:59 pm
....., TEXTNow is an awesome solution.
I currently have 3 numbers.
1. VoIP.ms that is my original # that I sometimes still get a call/text on.
2. My GV which I call with and receive some texts on.
3. My TEXTNOW # that I give to everyone who wants to text.
Your solution for Canadians is hardly (GV not available for Canadian except with workaround) integrated at all.
TextmeUp has integrated the call (in and out) and text function in one app (and 1 Canadian #) plus access through desktop/tablet browser worldwide.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Aug 16, 2008
218 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
elwebmaster wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:13 am
Unfortunately I cannot confirm this, in theory it should work but whether the SIM will activate in roaming without ever having connected to a T-Mobile tower I can only guess, I have done the same with other providers but not with T-Mo, sorry :( worst case scenario you can always do a weekend trip to Niagara Falls and there you should be fine :)
Ah, thanks for your reply. I totally forgot about it on the last trip. The info on the T-Mobile website is conflicting. One page says roaming available on the Simply prepaid $3/mth PAYGO plan and another page says you need the montlhy plan to get roaming.

BTW I have a GV number for the last 8 years. Just thought it was worth getting another one for family. I obtained it with an IPKall free DID before they closed the loopholes. Just advising that once you get verified, it doesn't matter what happens to the verification phone. Also, I use the same GV # on my Obihai ATA at home and Hangouts on the cell so you can use the same GV# on multiple devices. I found that interesting.
Fido $15/3gb less 50% x 3
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13093 posts
2956 upvotes
Toronto
Dukman wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:14 pm
Ah, thanks for your reply. I totally forgot about it on the last trip. The info on the T-Mobile website is conflicting. One page says roaming available on the Simply prepaid $3/mth PAYGO plan and another page says you need the montlhy plan to get roaming.

BTW I have a GV number for the last 8 years. Just thought it was worth getting another one for family. I obtained it with an IPKall free DID before they closed the loopholes. Just advising that once you get verified, it doesn't matter what happens to the verification phone. Also, I use the same GV # on my Obihai ATA at home and Hangouts on the cell so you can use the same GV# on multiple devices. I found that interesting.
It should not come as a surprise that google voice can be used in multiple devices. In fact, that is its strength as a forwarding service. If we were in the US and are able to add numerous numbers to our google voice account, we would actually be using the google voice number as the "primary number". When the google voice number is called, that would fan out the call to all the numbers registered in the account, making it really convenient to locate people.
May 5, 2008
892 posts
205 upvotes
This is so pathetic that GV is not offering Canadian numbers (and porting-in) at this moment.
That would be a one-stop solution for all VoIP needs. I'd port my celhone number in GV immediately.

I wonder what is the reason ? Opposition of Canadian oligopoly? Government?
Or Google has no business interest?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

proplayer44