Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 12:43 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3284 posts
510 upvotes
does uisng voip.ms drain battery? since my phone only has this fido plan i wanna try VOIP
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers gigabit VIP using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mikka2017 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 10:42 am
does uisng voip.ms drain battery? since my phone only has this fido plan i wanna try VOIP
Why not you try it at almost zero costs to you.
Install the app "TextmeUp " from Google play and get a local # (say 647) free. That will immediately allow you to text and receiving free incoming call on that number. But you need to have strong LTE or Wifi signal.
The advertisement while texting is disturbing indeed. But if you use you browser to text , then you won't see any adv at all.
If you want to call somebody , then text him/her to call you free.
Outgoing call is around 3 cents a minute which is the same of you calling next door or countries in the Far East
Demerit or Drawback : no porting in #

Merit : you can use the textmeup# for verification of Whatsapp #. You do not need to announce that you have a new # assuming you have a lot of whatsapp contact. Once you change the #, the new # will be known to all your contacts

Daniel
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3284 posts
510 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 12:07 pm
Why not you try it at almost zero costs to you.
Install the app "TextmeUp " from Google play and get a local # (say 647) free. That will immediately allow you to text and receiving free incoming call on that number. But you need to have strong LTE or Wifi signal.
The advertisement while texting is disturbing indeed. But if you use you browser to text , then you won't see any adv at all.
If you want to call somebody , then text him/her to call you free.
Outgoing call is around 3 cents a minute which is the same of you calling next door or countries in the Far East
Demerit or Drawback : no porting in #

Merit : you can use the textmeup# for verification of Whatsapp #. You do not need to announce that you have a new # assuming you have a lot of whatsapp contact. Once you change the #, the new # will be known to all your contacts

Daniel
thx for the tips
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers gigabit VIP using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mikka2017 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 12:36 pm
thx for the tips
Don't mention it. There are a couple of glitches of textmeup which can easily be dealt with.
Phone does not ring with an incoming call. You only get text message to say # so and was calling you which is ennoying. At first I was mad.
Actually, somehow the app does not like certain ring tones particularly those of the default one. It would be easy for you to assign a ring tone the app wants. Also it pays to have a different ring tone for textmeup (from your regular one)
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 12:07 pm

Daniel
Drawback: I believe you have to be a paying TextMe Up customer for that to work, right?? Don't know how much would that cost?? [and is it worth it..?]

[Never cared too much for that service, I guess thus the ignorance...]
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Oct 27, 2016
196 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
still happy with voipms. bria and voipms for my SMS and VOICE needs.
[removed]
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 12:49 am
Drawback: I believe you have to be a paying TextMe Up customer for that to work, right?? Don't know how much would that cost???]
Absolutely zero cost if you do not make call (2 cents a minute) . And you text (free) your buddy to call back
Daniel

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 9:14 am
Absolutely zero cost if you do not make call (2 cents a minute) . And you text (free) your buddy to call back
Hmmmm..... You didn't actually answer my question: "for verification of Whatsapp , do you have to BUY the number that you are using from Textme up", and how much it costs? I was told you don't get verification for free...
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 2:28 pm
Hmmmm..... You didn't actually answer my question: "for verification of Whatsapp , do you have to BUY the number that you are using from Textme up", and how much it costs? I was told you don't get verification for free...
A big NO
I have got a free 647#
After getting the Textmeup# then you can change your Whatsapp # at Setting/account/change number.
If you have a lot of whatsapp contacts, all those contacts will automatically get the change # notification from you. There is no need to call them individually that you have a new #
Daniel

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 2:46 pm
A big NO
I have got a free 647#
After getting the Textmeup# then you can change your Whatsapp # at Setting/account/change number.
If you have a lot of whatsapp contacts, all those contacts will automatically get the change # notification from you. There is no need to call them individually that you have a new #
This, however, is what they say:

We currently support automated verification texts from limited companies.

If you are using a free number, and if TextMe supports the company's verification messages, you will be asked to purchase your number in order to receive the verification code.

So I am a bit confused...
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 3:38 am

If you are using a free number, and if TextMe supports the company's verification messages, you will be asked to purchase your number in order to receive the verification code.

Why bother with the WhatsApp 2 step verification which they say will give better security protection?
If you require that, it is fair that you pay.
Most of us have chat or video message all of which are not serious stuff at all. If they get my family album, big deal.
What is important is that I need a number registered with WhatsApp. I understand a lot of Voip app cannot do that. Textmeup # can . I have changed my WhatsApp # already this way.
Daniel

Oct 27, 2016
196 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
for those using Bria, the last update is very useful! SMS is now working with PUSH NOTIFICATIONS! its not im having a battery drain without push notifications, but in theory battery life will be much better because of push notifications. and now that SMS works with push notifications, i wont miss any message!
[removed]
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 3:38 am

After reading your input, I have a better idea now as to what you asked.
Please note that whatsapp automatically verified that a TextmeUp # is accepted unlike other VOIP app.
Now if you need two step verification of whatsapp for security purpose, you need to pay
Daniel

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:58 pm
After reading your input, I have a better idea now as to what you asked.
Please note that whatsapp automatically verified that a TextmeUp # is accepted unlike other VOIP app.
Now if you need two step verification of whatsapp for security purpose, you need to pay
OK, make sense, thanks!
Sep 16, 2017
42 posts
15 upvotes
I'm looking to get fido 3g and switch to VOIP but I feel that it won't cover all my needs as of now.
currently paying 35$ for unlimited talk + text + 1GB. I would like to cut the cost.
I talk about 500 mins per month and text quite a lot. I barely use data since my phone sits at home during work days. I use pulse sms to send/receive texts from my browser on work computer.

If I switch to VOIP will I be able to still use pulse sms to text ? Do I have to use the company's app ?
Is there mms support for any VOIP service ? I don't mind paying 5$ per month for a good service.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)