Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 12:43 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
trixrabbit55 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 3:40 pm
I'm looking to get fido 3g and switch to VOIP but I feel that it won't cover all my needs as of now.
currently paying 35$ for unlimited talk + text + 1GB. I would like to cut the cost.
I talk about 500 mins per month and text quite a lot. I barely use data since my phone sits at home during work days. I use pulse sms to send/receive texts from my browser on work computer.

If I switch to VOIP will I be able to still use pulse sms to text ? Do I have to use the company's app ?
Is there mms support for any VOIP service ? I don't mind paying 5$ per month for a good service.
Not a very good idea if you switch.
1. You can in all likelihood only be able to get $15 2 Gb even iif you jump through hoop
2. Since you talk 500 min a month which may exceed the data consumption of your 2 Gb allotment a month (assuming you get the Fido deal). That depend on individual VOIP app. Some gurus in here may be able to advise you.
$35 for unlimited talk + text + 1GB is not so bad at all
I do have the Fido deal (3 Gb) but I am not giving up my $20 Fido unlimited call option (yet) mainly for that reason.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Oct 27, 2016
196 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
trixrabbit55 wrote:
I'm looking to get fido 3g and switch to VOIP but I feel that it won't cover all my needs as of now.
currently paying 35$ for unlimited talk + text + 1GB. I would like to cut the cost.
I talk about 500 mins per month and text quite a lot. I barely use data since my phone sits at home during work days. I use pulse sms to send/receive texts from my browser on work computer.

If I switch to VOIP will I be able to still use pulse sms to text ? Do I have to use the company's app ?
Is there mms support for any VOIP service ? I don't mind paying 5$ per month for a good service.
lets try to compute using voip.ms. ive been with voip.ms since Dec2017 and the 25$ credit i had with them i still have 21$ left after 2-3months.

1. 500mins * 0.5cent per minute = 250cents + 85cents per month (monthly fee) = 335cents
2. SMS incoming / outgoing is FREE. no idea when the promo will be over and how much the rate once the promo is over. just dont spam abuse
3. no idea what pulse sms is but it looks like it is a browser based SMS service? i use Bria for voice and sms. it integrates nicely, one app to rule them all.
4. voip.ms does not support MMS. i use FREE hangouts for MMS

so all in all, looks like your cost will be 335cents per month plus the 15$ for 3gb/data. and one time payment of the Bria app if you want to go that route. there is also FREE zoiper that integrates voice and SMS, but i just prefer Bria

data calculation -
G.729 takes 32 kilobits per second,

which is 1920 kilobits (60 x 32) in one minute,

which in turn is 240 kilobytes (KB) per minute (1 byte is 8 bits)

Now that’s only for the data going out. Inbound data (which also counts) takes the same load, so we double the figure to 480 KB.

Finally, we can round the value to 0.5 MB per minute of conversation.
let's assume the worst, instead of 0.5MB per minute, lets make it 1MB per minute. so for 500mins, you will be consuming 500MB of data.
[removed]
Sep 16, 2017
42 posts
15 upvotes
Thank you for the calculations.

One thing to note is that I'm on wifi whenever I make the calls.

Pulse sms is an sms android app that I can connect to with my browser. I can then send texts using my browser and they count as normal sms. If I can use any messaging app to send sms using the VOIP phone number it shouldn't be an issue, but if I must use a specific one then maybe it won't work.
Oct 27, 2016
196 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
trixrabbit55 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 10:10 am
Thank you for the calculations.

One thing to note is that I'm on wifi whenever I make the calls.

Pulse sms is an sms android app that I can connect to with my browser. I can then send texts using my browser and they count as normal sms. If I can use any messaging app to send sms using the VOIP phone number it shouldn't be an issue, but if I must use a specific one then maybe it won't work.
Regarding sms, theres 3 apps ive tested that works with voip.ms-

Bria (paid)
Zoiper (free)
Voip.ms SMS (free)

If pulse sms uses data instead of your actual phone number, then you can use that too.
[removed]
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
trixrabbit55 wrote:
Data usage for VOIP depends on which codec you use, not on application.

Generally, you will be using G729 and that is about half a meg per minute so if you use abot 500 minutes you will need 250mb, so it is really minimal.

G711 will use double ammount and GSM codec a bit less but it is not likely you will need these codecs at this time and age, however worst case scenario is about half a GB for 500 minutes of VOIP talk.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
trixrabbit55 wrote:
Sorry for repeating data calculation, sent it before going tru all the messages... but won't hurt :-))

As per VOIP.ms SMS/MMS:

I am with them for several years now and

a. It is in "beta" forever, [and free]
b. there is no MMS support at all
c.you CAN use certain apps to [push] receive SMS but I dodn't believe you can SEND SMS in that way

so I don't believe this service will work for you..
Oct 27, 2016
196 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
max011 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 2:45 pm
Sorry for repeating data calculation, sent it before going tru all the messages... but won't hurt :-))

As per VOIP.ms SMS/MMS:

I am with them for several years now and

a. It is in "beta" forever, [and free]
b. there is no MMS support at all
c.you CAN use certain apps to [push] receive SMS but I dodn't believe you can SEND SMS in that way

so I don't believe this service will work for you..
What do you mean by item C? I use Bria to send and receive SMS
[removed]
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
ryanrudolf wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 3:18 pm
What do you mean by item C? I use Bria to send and receive SMS
It's great then! I didn't check lately, didn't have need = not really big on SMS - just receiving some notifications using my VOIP.ms number and using email option to do so as well. Also successfully sent some SMS by replying to the email.

But they don't guaranty that apps will work in this scenario and they even state it on their help pages. So YMMV.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
danieltoronto wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 12:07 pm
Why not you try it at almost zero costs to you.
Install the app "TextmeUp " from Google play and get a local # (say 647) free. That will immediately allow you to text and receiving free incoming call on that number. But you need to have strong LTE or Wifi signal.
The advertisement while texting is disturbing indeed. But if you use you browser to text , then you won't see any adv at all.
If you want to call somebody , then text him/her to call you free.
Outgoing call is around 3 cents a minute which is the same of you calling next door or countries in the Far East
Demerit or Drawback : no porting in #

Merit : you can use the textmeup# for verification of Whatsapp #. You do not need to announce that you have a new # assuming you have a lot of whatsapp contact. Once you change the #, the new # will be known to all your contacts

Daniel
I would like to report what I said earlier (as quoted) has been changed around 2 weeks ago by Textmeup.
Now you get free local number & free sms/MMS/calls.
The catch is that you need to keep using it
or your number will be lost. Or TextmeUp will force you to buy subscription at around $5 a month
I am on a grandfathered plan (as far as I can see ; not sure though) and I have bought $10 credit (for making outgoing call to US/Can) and they cannot take away my numbefr.
So how do you keep your number without paying anygthing?
That should be easy. Use your phone on daily basis. Make a habit of calling a government department (after office hours) in dinner time and hanging up the phone after reaching the voice mail message (this is department of Transportation...or whatever).
Is that too much hassle to getting a phone line free? No.
Daniel

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 10:41 am
I would like to report what I said earlier (as quoted) has been changed around 2 weeks ago by Textmeup.
Now you get free local number & free sms/MMS/calls.
The catch is that you need to keep using it
or your number will be lost. Or TextmeUp will force you to buy subscription at around $5 a month
I am on a grandfathered plan (as far as I can see ; not sure though) and I have bought $10 credit (for making outgoing call to US/Can) and they cannot take away my numbefr.
So how do you keep your number without paying anygthing?
That should be easy. Use your phone on daily basis. Make a habit of calling a government department (after office hours) in dinner time and hanging up the phone after reaching the voice mail message (this is department of Transportation...or whatever).
Is that too much hassle to getting a phone line free? No.
Statement: I don't really really like ANY apps that are trying to be cryptic & mysterious instead of open and straight forward...

I understand that all incoming calls to their issued number are free, and it is amazing feature [if true, maybe I got it wrong, and it requires calling Government after hours as well..?] But for life of me I don't understand WHY I have to get the app, create an account and go tru all the hoops just to find their International calling rates [calling for $, not their 'credits']

I never do business with such providers, no matter what...
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 2:01 pm
I understand that all incoming calls to their issued number are free, and it is amazing feature [if true, maybe I got it wrong, and it requires calling Government after hours as well..?]
Maybe you have not had time to read through what I wrote.
The new change (just last 2 weeks) is not just free text and incoming call. It is now free outgoing calls (to US/Can)too.
As everything is free , Textmeup are trying to charge around $5 for every month and there is a risk that users may lose the number by not using the # constantly. So I was suggesting that to get the free service you just have to use it very frequenlty. I am not even sure if that works 100%. I am different as I belong to the grandfathered plan. And they cannot cancel my account as I have $10 credit in the # for calling which was not free previously.
Now I can use the credit to call E U or Far East.
The small inconvenience is not a huge hassle considered that clients have got essentially everything free entirely
Daniel

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 2:29 pm
Maybe you have not had time to read through what I wrote.
The new change (just last 2 weeks) is not just free text and incoming call. It is now free outgoing calls (to US/Can)too.
As everything is free , Textmeup are trying to charge around $5 for every month and there is a risk that users may lose the number by not using the # constantly. So I was suggesting that to get the free service you just have to use it very frequenlty. I am not even sure if that works 100%. I am different as I belong to the grandfathered plan. And they cannot cancel my account as I have $10 credit in the # for calling which was not free previously.
Now I can use the credit to call E U or Far East.
The small inconvenience is not a huge hassle considered that clients have got essentially everything free entirely
Oh, I DID read carefully what you wrote, and spent some time on their site trying to figure out answer to MY question - "International rates".

Contrary to popular believes, "International rates" are more that domestic long distance in Canada and USA calling - I am interested, as you mentioned, in "calling EU or Far East"... Not a single info could be obtained WITHOUT downloading/creating/logging in... bla bla bla
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 3:58 pm
Contrary to popular believes, "International rates" are more that domestic long distance in Canada and USA calling - I am interested, as you mentioned, in "calling EU or Far East"... Not a single info could be obtained WITHOUT downloading/creating/logging in... bla bla bla
Hmm there is zero need to guess. It does not cost you a penny to try . Don't like it and you can uninstall it in 1/2 a minute.
The L D call (not applicable to US/Can) works with a credit system. You buy the credit say $10/$20 then use it to call .
Nowadays I have to say I have made a lot less L D call indeed given that Whatsapp to whatsapp or skype to skype calls are all free The market has shifted a lot indeed
Daniel

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 4:42 pm
Hmm there is zero need to guess. It does not cost you a penny to try . Don't like it and you can uninstall it in 1/2 a minute.
True that but WHY just not post it?? [Nothing to do with App itself, just pissed with such “business System”..]
danieltoronto wrote:
The L D call (not applicable to US/Can) works with a credit system. You buy the credit say $10/$20 then use it to call .
That what I was thinking, just needed the price list…
danieltoronto wrote:
Nowadays I have to say I have made a lot less L D call indeed given that Whatsapp to whatsapp or skype to skype calls are all free The market has shifted a lot indeed
True that as well, however there are some situations where not everyone has those apps or using them [some old people for instance] or when in those countries Wireless data is not readily available [as we are used to] etc. so I am always on lookout for good landline calling International rates..

Thanks for trying to explain.. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 5:42 pm
That what I was thinking, just needed the price list…
Right now I still have a $20 unlimited call with Fido.
Can you try to find out my specific L D rate of calling Japan/HK/Taiwan on a $20 plan?
I gave up trying on their portal
TextmeUp is not that much different from the larger providers
I will know when I call certain counties with Textmeup, it shows the cost per minute on top left corner.
If you want to know its rate, just try it and enter a phone # you want to call abroad. Then the rate will show up in split second. From installation of the app, getting a new Textmeup# to knowing the rate of calling Haiti, that takes maybe 4 minutes (the rate will be high). Don't like it uninstall it in another minute
I can see the point why they do not give the country by country rate. Otherwise the web site will be very clutered
Daniel

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)