Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 12:43 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 7:35 pm
Right now I still have a $20 unlimited call with Fido.
Can you try to find out my specific L D rate of calling Japan/HK/Taiwan on a $20 plan?
I gave up trying on their portal
TextmeUp is not that much different from the larger providers
I will know when I call certain counties with Textmeup, it shows the cost per minute on top left corner.
If you want to know its rate, just try it and enter a phone # you want to call abroad. Then the rate will show up in split second. From installation of the app, getting a new Textmeup# to knowing the rate of calling Haiti, that takes maybe 4 minutes (the rate will be high). Don't like it uninstall it in another minute
I can see the point why they do not give the country by country rate. Otherwise the web site will be very clutered
No, it would not be that cluttered, just another underlined link in the FAQ...

I think they [or, "all of them"] don't want you to see the rates before you go tru all the steps - once you have account open, and you don't like their price, you still might stay around as a customer for, say, domestic use... Otherwise, you would not even bother creating the account.

I'll try tomorrow and set it up just to see the price list... and then I might find some other use and stay, even if not for the LD... Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thanks
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Sep 13, 2015
38 posts
2 upvotes
Deux-Montagnes
I just tried getting the tablet plan from FIDO from St-Jerome, Rosemère and St-Eustache in QUebec, but they all said that I needed a phone line of at least 35$ per month before I could get their tablet plan. It seems that Fido found out that many people got the tablet plan without a phone plan and enforced the rule.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Galael wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 11:09 am
. It seems that Fido found out that many people got the tablet plan without a phone plan and enforced the rule.
That has been a great plus of the tablet plan. The SIM works for phone too (unlike those in Virgin Mobile). When I got it , anybody could walk in and get 3 Gb plan. It works whether you get the tablet or not. Now everything has gone up in price
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 11:27 am
That has been a great plus of the tablet plan. The SIM works for phone too (unlike those in Virgin Mobile). When I got it , anybody could walk in and get 3 Gb plan. It works whether you get the tablet or not. Now everything has gone up in price
And right now, anybody lucky nuff to be on that plan are getting a whole year 100% free....
Aug 16, 2008
377 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
max011 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 2:42 pm
And right now, anybody lucky nuff to be on that plan are getting a whole year 100% free....
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling EyesThose were the good ol' days.
Fido $15/3gb less 100% x 4
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Dukman wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 11:01 pm
😄Those were the good ol' days.
I got that exactly 3 days ago. I have no clue if the waiving of data charges is still on or not.
Daniel

Temp. Banned
Dec 16, 2016
270 posts
37 upvotes
Canada
Can someone list down all the useful Apps to use for US/Canada free calling and Text messaging using this data plan & wifi
Dec 21, 2011
11 posts
3 upvotes
GEORGETOWN
Hello all,

I'm terribly sorry to ask this, but with dozens of pages to go through in multiple threads, it can be hard to find direct answers to certain inquiries.
Any answers would be immensely appreciated, and may help others like me searching for specific solutions.

I'm planning on visiting a Fido store soon, but would like to have all my facts together.
I'm not currently on any Fido plan, so I'm not exactly sure if I would even be able to sign up for this promo. Seems everyone's mileage very much varies. How does one get on a post-paid service with Fido?

I'm naturally drawn to the data deal, but very much adverse to having to use a second number with Fongo or similar VOIP provider.
  • Is there any way of adding a Unlimited Texting + some amount of calling minutes to this plan, and just using the number provided by Fido? (Or ported from another ex-provider like Rogers?)

I see part of the draw to this plan is the ability to get a free LG tablet (with a 2-year contract). But I also see that iPad's are available, but at a cost per month? Is that correct? Has anyone opted for the iPad instead?
Dec 25, 2015
21 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smartyA489 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 10:16 am
Can someone list down all the useful Apps to use for US/Canada free calling and Text messaging using this data plan & wifi
TextNow & Fongo are the two big names.
There are others such as Google Hangouts, but they are not as full featured and don't include text.

- Both TextNow & Fongo give you a free local phone number (Fongo allows you to port your number for $25. TextNow, I have been getting mixed messages, some saying they can't port Canadian numbers and others saying it requires a premium subscription. I am trying to get to the bottom of this one.)
- Both allow for free unlimited calling in Canada (TextNow also allows free USA calling too). Both allow international calling for low rates.
- TextNow allows free global SMS/MMS. Fongo only allows free incoming SMS/MMS and free texting between other Fongo users ($3.99/month for global texting).
- Both have free voicemail and call-waiting. (Only Fongo has the ability to hide your Caller ID, Only TextNow has the ability to hide incoming calls from lock screen)
- Call forwarding is free on Fongo. TextNow requires Premium subscription of $3.99/month for call forwarding.
- Both integrate your Contacts into their App.
- Both have multi-device support. You can login to the app on multiple devices, keeping the same number and all your messages in one place. They both also have a desktop version. (Fongo only allows you to be logged into one device at a time)
- Call quality is excellent with both.
- The main drawback is ads with both. (Fongo can be removed for one time payment of $6.99, TextNow ad removal included in premium subscription of $3.99 per month)
Fido 3GB/$0 with TextNow App for Free Unlimited Global Texting/NA Calling
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1672 posts
605 upvotes
Vancouver
smartyA489 wrote:
Just install Hangouts Dialer, [verify your phone number if you wish, so it shows on the call displays] and you have free calling for the whole North Am. [Or you'd show to others as Unknown #.] Excellent call quality. Very simple and straight forward.

Fongo is good for SMS but only if you pay for the service. Usually there are problems with the voice call quality if you are not on the East Coast and/or if you don't use iPhone app.

Text-this and Text-me-that etc.. are free but swamped with adds to the point it's hard to type the SMS...

You can go VOIP.ms way as well for a few $$/month - lot of info on that around here. Great choice, however some learning required.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1452 posts
239 upvotes
Everywhere
smartyA489 wrote:
I use Google Voice.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4830 posts
625 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SaskGopher wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 11:34 pm
I'm planning on visiting a Fido store soon, but would like to have all my facts together.
I'm not currently on any Fido plan, so I'm not exactly sure if I would even be able to sign up for this promo. Seems everyone's mileage very much varies. How does one get on a post-paid service with Fido?
I heard that some side -dealers may get you the Fido 3 Gb $15 plan without the Fido plan. Try Bestbuy or Tbooth wireless only (not Fido booth)
max011 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 3:36 am
Text-this and Text-me-that etc.. are free but swamped with adds to the point it's hard to type the SMS...
Textmeup still needs to make money to provide users with free service.
The advertisement while texting is disturbing indeed on a cell. But if you use your browser on your desktop/laptop/netbook (Linux or Windows) to text , then you won't see any adv at all. All your previous text and contacts are there too. And you can see calls (with CID too) coming in as well.
Also you can use the textmeup# for verification of Whatsapp #.
You do not need to announce that you have a new # assuming you have a lot of whatsapp contacts like me. Once you change the #, the new # will be known to all your whatsapp contacts
Daniel

Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2779 posts
974 upvotes
Is there any benefit to removing the adds in Fongo? I am not bothered by the visual distraction, but I wonder if it uses data or slows down the app.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
dgnr8 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:21 am
Is there any benefit to removing the adds in Fongo? I am not bothered by the visual distraction, but I wonder if it uses data or slows down the app.
It must use some data in order to show the ads but in my experience it's just a bit of noise in a 3GB quota. I wouldn't worry about it.

A much better use of $5 is to get some World credits, not necessarily for making overseas calls but to avoid losing your account to inactivity. See Why Was My Account Deleted? [I'm not sure but I think accounts become inactive after 60 to 90 days of idleness. That may be an issue for casual users.]
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 15, 2003
526 posts
89 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:41 am
It must use some data in order to show the ads but in my experience it's just a bit of noise in a 3GB quota. I wouldn't worry about it.

A much better use of $5 is to get some World credits, not necessarily for making overseas calls but to avoid losing your account to inactivity. See Why Was My Account Deleted? [I'm not sure but I think accounts become inactive after 60 to 90 days of idleness. That may be an issue for casual users.]
If you port your number over to Fongo, do you know if you still have to keep your account active (via credits or usage) to keep your number? If so, that's not ideal for someone that doesn't use their number all the time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)