Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2018 9:27 pm
Tags:
None
Temp. Banned
Dec 16, 2016
270 posts
37 upvotes
Canada
What is the steps to port a Canadian number over to Fongo?
Temp. Banned
Dec 16, 2016
270 posts
37 upvotes
Canada
If I port my number to Fongo 1.) Do i keep the number active via usage? 2.) Can I be able to receive Free incoming calls within US/Canada and also international incoming calls? 3.) Can I be able to send Free text messages US/Canada, and internationally and incoming text messages are Free or not?
Jul 16, 2013
139 posts
21 upvotes
djray wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 7:08 pm
If you port your number over to Fongo, do you know if you still have to keep your account active (via credits or usage) to keep your number? If so, that's not ideal for someone that doesn't use their number all the time.
This 5$ lasts like forever.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13224 posts
5637 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
djray wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 7:08 pm
If you port your number over to Fongo, do you know if you still have to keep your account active (via credits or usage) to keep your number?
Did you read the link in my post that you quoted? ;)
ZenaZ927 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 9:28 pm
This 5$ lasts like forever.
Depends on your usage of long distance to call numbers outside Canada. But yes generally the $5 goes a long way because the rates are cheap.

Moreover you can make calls to Canada for free no matter where in the world you're located. Likewise people can call you on your Canadian Fongo number no matter where you are without you incurring fees for receiving those calls.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2564 posts
697 upvotes
Montreal
max011 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 3:36 am
Just install Hangouts Dialer, [verify your phone number if you wish, so it shows on the call displays] and you have free calling for the whole North Am. [Or you'd show to others as Unknown #.] .
How were you able to verify your # with Hangouts? My number is at voip.ms, can't receive automated SMS
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1729 posts
651 upvotes
Vancouver
marc_t wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 11:52 pm
How were you able to verify your # with Hangouts? My number is at voip.ms, can't receive automated SMS
Contrary to what some people were saying around here, you are right, there is no way to verify your VOIP.ms number on Hangouts..

That said, I am using Dual SIM phone... "Real" number for SMS, MMS, incoming [free] calls... Data SIM for calls via Hangouts...

With VOIP.ms I am using a few numbers for the home phone and some other needs...
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Dec 21, 2011
11 posts
3 upvotes
GEORGETOWN
So I get the sense that if one were to use a single SIM-card phone with this Fido plan, like an iPhone, and you sign up with Fongo (or similar), you would still have to maintain having two or more numbers? Is that hassle worth it? Just having one number is so simple and convenient.

My prepaid plan (E&W unlimited calling, unlimited text, 250mb for $25) with Rogers expires at the end of the month, and I'm not keen to renew since the price has gone up 50%
Assuming I'd be able to sign up as a new user to Fido for this promo, would this be my best workflow to make it as simple as possible?

1) While my Roger's plan is still active, sign up with Fongo and port my Roger's number into their system (I would like to keep my phone number and not send all of my contacts a new number)
2) Sign up with Fido's promo and use their SIM card in my iPhone (And hopefully I won't have to give out this new Fido number to anyone)
3) Confirm the following:
  1. Making calls via the native iPhone Calling app will or will not go through Fongo? (Do I have to solely use the Fongo app to make calls?)
  2. Sending iMessage texts via the native iPhone Messages app will go through my Fido SIM number? (I suppose I can set my send/receive addresses to be my email address and not my phone number within the Messages Settings, right?)
  3. Sending SMS texts has to be done through the Fongo app, right?
  4. WhatsApp will pair my Fido number with their service, right?
There's a lot of appeal to have lot more data and all the benefits that come with Fongo's free calling, and the biggest benefit is the low price of the whole plan.
But having to go through this whole porting-over process, managing more than one number, and using Fongo's rather hideous UI app (sorry, just being honest here) is holding me back a little bit :(
Jul 15, 2003
575 posts
103 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Mar 7th, 2018 10:25 pm
Did you read the link in my post that you quoted? ;)
I missed the link :)

Just read it, if you port in your number to Fongo, the account will not get deactivated due to inactivity. This is good news for me if I decide to port to Fongo.

I think I might do this.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5036 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SaskGopher wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 10:30 am
So I get the sense that if one were to use a single SIM-card phone with this Fido plan, like an iPhone, and you sign up with Fongo (or similar), you would still have to maintain having two or more numbers? Is that hassle worth it? Just having one number is so simple and convenient.

My prepaid plan (E&W unlimited calling, unlimited text, 250mb for $25) with Rogers expires at the end of the month, and I'm not keen to renew since the price has gone up 50%
Assuming I'd be able to sign up as a new user to Fido for this promo, would this be my best workflow to make it as simple as possible?
1. I would start with a different set up. There are apps that have single local Canadian # (like Textmeup) wth free text and free call right away. Somehow it also verifies Whatsapp change too. Users do not need to tell everybody that he/she has a # change. Once whatsapp# is changed, all whatsapp contacts will be informed accordingly. There are ways to avoid those disturbing advertisement though
2. Do not need to assume. Get the Fido plan while you can and ask question later. All these , like step #1 above can be reversed and you can change to another VOIP like Fongo or whatnots later
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1729 posts
651 upvotes
Vancouver
SaskGopher wrote:
Probably not worth the hassle [at least for me]. Hate even thinking of other phone numbers.
For the few bucks more you get yourself a Zoomer plan [you offset a price by referrals and by selling their phone]. Several threads going on on that topic.
SaskGopher wrote:

1) While my Roger's plan is still active, sign up with Fongo and port my Roger's number into their system (I would like to keep my phone number and not send all of my contacts a new number)
2) Sign up with Fido's promo and use their SIM card in my iPhone (And hopefully I won't have to give out this new Fido number to anyone)
I would start with #2. Make sure you get this plan BEFORE you count your chicken…
Warning - Porting to Fongo: It would cost you $25 I believe.. There were quite consistent information here about problems with porting OUT of Fongo – not impossible, but lot of hassle and sometimes took a very long time…
Also, do not count on their SMS messages to work reliably without paying a subscription.
No need to disclose your Fido number to anyone.
SaskGopher wrote:
3) Confirm the following:
  1. Making calls via the native iPhone Calling app will or will not go through Fongo? (Do I have to solely use the Fongo app to make calls?)
  2. Sending iMessage texts via the native iPhone Messages app will go through my Fido SIM number? (I suppose I can set my send/receive addresses to be my email address and not my phone number within the Messages Settings, right?)
  3. Sending SMS texts has to be done through the Fongo app, right?
  4. WhatsApp will pair my Fido number with their service, right?
There's a lot of appeal to have lot more data and all the benefits that come with Fongo's free calling, and the biggest benefit is the low price of the whole plan.
But having to go through this whole porting-over process, managing more than one number, and using Fongo's rather hideous UI app (sorry, just being honest here) is holding me back a little bit :(
Don’t know much about iPhone. But you will HAVE to use Fongo app to make calls/SMS.
WhatsApp will pair ANY number with their service IF you are able to verify that number.
Not sure if you can receive “short code SMS messages” [confirmation numbers] tru Fongo without having PAID SMS with them, if at all.. [Stopped using Fongo long ago, not working for me at all.]
Don’t know if WhatsApp have an option to CALL YOU on [Fongo} number to tell you the code… Any app without "Call me" option will not work if you can't receive "short codes" SMS
SaskGopher wrote:
Exactly. That’s why I opted for Dual SIM phone to keep my established phone number. Also, I was lucky to have an old, amazing prepaid plan [@Wind with everything incoming free etc.] that costs me pennies and I still can use my Hangouts on the Fido network for outgoing VOIP calls for free … [Wind/Freedom on its own works just fine for me, but I'd have to pay for outgoing calls]
Lot of kids around here will state that having the same number is not important, or changing it all the time is not a hassle, but if you are at least a bit serious about it, or using your phone for more that Facebook messaging and sending dickpics to your palls, you will think twice about it.
There are some tedious workarounds with Voip.ms to achieve a “number unity” BUT no “shot code” SMS are guaranteed, so Hangouts [and more] will not work and/or display your number.
Someone said that [for more money than VOIP.ms] ANVEO will have that option [receiving verification codes] but I have no firsthand experience with it, sorry… Maybe that is the best option in your case.
Other apps [like Text-me-this or Text-me-that etc] are almost unusable on the phone due to heavy advertisement and also you cannot transfer your phone number so I would not even consider them
Dec 21, 2011
11 posts
3 upvotes
GEORGETOWN
Wow, thanks max!

So I've been doing some digging, and managed to speak to an old friend who happens to be on this Fido promo with Fongo.
While there are some setbacks with having to use Fongo and the need to be careful with not using the Fido number, overall he's overjoyed with this setup. I'm now convinced to try and hop on this promo as a new user (which it seems will have its own challenges, but there are ways around that too [like porting into Fido and signing up for a voice plan and then cancelling it the next day by porting out to a VOIP provider].

At this point, I'm now researching which VOIP provider is best, with the need to be able to send SMS (paid per use or with a package like Fongo.

Thankfully I might be okay to have to side with Fongo in the end. I'm just not a big fan of their UI, the $25 port-in fee (and complications to ever port out), and the $7.00 ad-removal fee. But that's really alright with me overall.
I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for alternate services, like voip.ms and a separate calling and SMS app. (I know this isn't necessarily the thread for this, but I would appreciate any input or links to recent threads).

Thanks again everyone!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1729 posts
651 upvotes
Vancouver
SaskGopher wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 9:47 pm
I'm now convinced to try and hop on this promo as a new user (which it seems will have its own challenges, but there are ways around that too [like porting into Fido and signing up for a voice plan and then cancelling it the next day by porting out to a VOIP provider].
It could also result in cancellation of your data-only plan as well...
Dec 21, 2011
11 posts
3 upvotes
GEORGETOWN
max011 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 11:14 pm
Had a conversation with a rep on the chat tonight who indicated that would be the case.

However others have posted how they've been able to port out of their Voice line while retaining the Data line. Can recent users confirm if this is still possible? It's really the only option then for ones seeking to be new customers like myself.

In any case, gonna visit BB on Yonge in North York on Saturday, which has confirmed as providing this deal to new customers. I'll post my experience. At the very least, I hope to get the Data line. Being able to get the tablet with a 2yr contract and the $50/$100 GC will be an expected bonus.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5036 posts
655 upvotes
NORTH YORK
max011 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 11:14 pm
That depends on the way the data was acquired and the account was set up.
In my case, I had the data plan 3 Gb $15 first. At that time I had Chatr $20 unlimited local call. After a few months I got text from Chatr to migrate to Fido with free text too. I said nice and I moved. I have one account with completely separate voice plan
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Dec 21, 2011
11 posts
3 upvotes
GEORGETOWN
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 5:58 am
That depends on the way the data was acquired and the account was set up.
In my case, I had the data plan 3 Gb $15 first. At that time I had Chatr $20 unlimited local call. After a few months I got text from Chatr to migrate to Fido with free text too. I said nice and I moved. I have one account with completely separate voice plan
Good to know - and how and when did you sign up for the 3GB promo? Your Chatr account was the basis for "being an exisiting Fido customer"? Is that also how you were able to swing the 100% free data for a year discount?
I've been with Rogers Talk Text and Data paygo for many years. I wonder if I can reason with a rep that this could also allow me to "be an exisiting Fido customer", and that I have longtime loyalty...