Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2018 1:21 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1978 posts
776 upvotes
Vancouver
SaskGopher wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 8:10 am
Good to know - and how and when did you sign up for the 3GB promo? Your Chatr account was the basis for "being an exisiting Fido customer"? Is that also how you were able to swing the 100% free data for a year discount?
I've been with Rogers Talk Text and Data paygo for many years. I wonder if I can reason with a rep that this could also allow me to "be an exisiting Fido customer", and that I have longtime loyalty...
We all got this plan as stand-alone. Adding and removing another line to such account is irrelevant - it is not a change to your original status.

Now, if today you have to get the voice line first, this would be a add-on data plan on your account. Canceling/moving original voice plan would result in canceling of your data plan add-on as well [most probably]
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Agreed with what @max011 said above
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Nov 27, 2014
92 posts
59 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I got a problem here trying to verify a voip.ms number with Uber. Since voip.ms doesn't support short hand sms to verify numbers.

I've contacted Uber customer support asking about another way to verify and they're asking me for a screenshot of my number as it appears in phone settings to confirm that I own the number. But my phone settings obviously show the data-sim number and not my voip.ms number

How do I get my voip number registered with Uber when they're asking for the number to appear in phone settings as proof I own that number? I asked for SMS voice, email or a text from a traditional 10 digit number but they're insisting on a screenshot from phone settings.

Edit: Also having the correct number is critical for Uber drivers to contact me. Sending a text to the Fido SIM works fine to prove I'm a human but I need my voip.ms number to show up in my Uber account.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1978 posts
776 upvotes
Vancouver
KanieWest wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:15 am
I got a problem here trying to verify a voip.ms number with Uber. Since voip.ms doesn't support short hand sms to verify numbers.

I've contacted Uber customer support asking about another way to verify and they're asking me for a screenshot of my number as it appears in phone settings to confirm that I own the number. But my phone settings obviously show the data-sim number and not my voip.ms number

How do I get my voip number registered with Uber when they're asking for the number to appear in phone settings as proof I own that number? I asked for SMS voice, email or a text from a traditional 10 digit number but they're insisting on a screenshot from phone settings.

Edit: Also having the correct number is critical for Uber drivers to contact me. Sending a text to the Fido SIM works fine to prove I'm a human but I need my voip.ms number to show up in my Uber account.
As I stated here [this thread and others] VOIP.MS officially does not support "short code" SMS messages. Odd one _may_ sneak tru, but most _will not_.

So there is not consistent way to verify your number for apps using your virtual VOIP.MS number. No Viber, no Hangouts, no Uber...

If Uber does not support "Call me to verify" option - like Whatsapp does - there is no way it will work in your scenario.

I was told around here that ANVEO guaranties receiving "Short codes" but I don't like their concept, and never tried it so can't vouch for it...
Dec 27, 2007
16525 posts
7574 upvotes
Kitchener
max011 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 12:56 pm
Now, if today you have to get the voice line first, this would be a add-on data plan on your account. Canceling/moving original voice plan would result in canceling of your data plan add-on as well [most probably]
Only if you get audited, because its part of the "current" terms and conditions (and I will have to assume its part of the signed agreement as well), but the data-only plan is not really linked to any other voice plan you may have (else people wouldn't have been able to get them standalone as recent as couple of days ago).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1978 posts
776 upvotes
Vancouver
aasoror wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:39 pm
Only if you get audited, because its part of the "current" terms and conditions (and I will have to assume its part of the agreement signed agreement as well), but the data-only plan is not really linked to any other voice plan you may have (else people wouldn't have been able to get them standalone as recent as couple of days ago).
"Add-on data plan" is more or less just my figure of speech to explain it clearly.. So it's YMMV and "most probably"... Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Feb 17, 2018
29 posts
16 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 11:14 pm
It could also result in cancellation of your data-only plan as well...
I know that it's YMMV with new sign-ups to the tablet plans.
However, there is a reply of a Fido rep in this, recent, thread: best-buy-fido-3gb-lte-data-plan-15-2-ye ... 2173964/3/ He initially had chimed in on page 2, saying that cancelling the base plan would result in loosing the data plan and then corrected / up-dated it with this:
FidoSolution wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 4:14 pm
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to clarify something, as there was an error in our last post.

If you cancel the voice + data line, the data -only line can remain. What does however happen is that if you have a financed tablet with an Easy Pay balance remaining, the balance on the tablet will be billed it's not possible to have just a tablet on Easy Pay with no primary voice + data line.

Sorry about the confusion!

- Nick
I haven't seen a specific clause, that would dictate that I loose my tablet plan (MTM BYOD) if I cancel or port out of the initial voice/talk/data plan, in my service agreement nor in the TOS. (Although, I've only skimmed the later and took only a closer look at sections that my logic dictates to find such a clause.)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
1978 posts
776 upvotes
Vancouver
islandwoodpecker wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:38 am
I know that it's YMMV with new sign-ups to the tablet plans.
However, there is a reply of a Fido rep in this, recent, thread: best-buy-fido-3gb-lte-data-plan-15-2-ye ... 2173964/3/ He initially had chimed in on page 2, saying that cancelling the base plan would result in loosing the data plan and then corrected / up-dated it with this:

I haven't seen a specific clause, that would dictate that I loose my tablet plan (MTM BYOD) if I cancel or port out of the initial voice/talk/data plan, in my service agreement nor in the TOS. (Although, I've only skimmed the later and took only a closer look at sections that my logic dictates to find such a clause.)
Let us know what happens when you cancel the voice plan...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
islandwoodpecker wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:38 am
I would guess that depends on the manner in which you got the $15 3 Gb plan (IMO).
If you had an eligible voice plan after which you relied on your voice plan to get the $15 3 Gb plan, then porting out the voice plan would trigger the cancellation of the data plan. Your data plan is a just a data add on to the voice plan.
I was different. I got the $15 3 Gb plan when anybody could walk in with zero restriction. After a few months I ported in my Chatr # to Fido the voice plan. The two Fido plans are not linked or related at all .
Daniel

Oct 27, 2016
273 posts
68 upvotes
GTA
max011 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 2:52 am
Let us know what happens when you cancel the voice plan...
i did this last Nov2016, cancelled the cheapest BYOB voice plan the next day and my tablet plan is still active.
[removed]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ryanrudolf wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 6:35 am
i did this last Nov2016, cancelled the cheapest BYOB voice plan the next day and my tablet plan is still active.
Those were the days when anybody could walk in to get the 3Gb plan with no existing Fido account.
Daniel

Apr 11, 2012
317 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anyone here tried and succeeded "data only plan tel number" for whats app verification? I would like to activate whats app on that number? And is there a change for incoming text message?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jaggu2001 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 1:57 pm
Has anyone here tried and succeeded "data only plan tel number" for whats app verification? I would like to activate whats app on that number? And is there a change for incoming text message?
1.Yes.
2.I do not recommend that route though.
3.Yes. There is a small charge (under 50 cents) for texting back

I do not recommend (2) as your whatsapp contacts will be calling you on the data only number. If you have a lot of contacts , it will be difficult and costly. That will get you into problem later on.
Alternatively you can use your data SIM to get a free TextmeUp number from Googple play. And you can text and talk right away (free). I did verify the TextmeUp # via whatsapp (in my case it is a 647#). The good part is that all your contacts will be informed of the change right away after whatsapp verification.
Last edited by danieltoronto on Mar 16th, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

Apr 11, 2012
317 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 2:02 pm
1.Yes.
2.I do not recommend that route though.
3.Yes. There is a small charge (under 50 cents) for texting back

I do not recommend (2) as your whatsapp contacts will be calling you on the data only number. If you have a lot of contacts , it will be difficult and costly. That will get you into problem later on.
Alternatively you can use your data SIM to get a free TextmeUp number from Googple play. And you can text and talk right away (free). I did verify the TextmeUp # via whatsapp. The good part is that all your contacts will be informed of the change right away after whatsapp verification.
Thx for the quick response. I use textnow for free call and text. Is ur number locked to your account for TextmeUP? I meant do you have to pay extra to keep the number or it is ur's as long as you use their service?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
jaggu2001 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 2:23 pm
Thx for the quick response. I use textnow for free call and text. Is ur number locked to your account for TextmeUP? I meant do you have to pay extra to keep the number or it is ur's as long as you use their service?
There is no need for you to pay extra to keep the number.
Just keep using it routinely (say every few days) like texting your buddy or spouse "ignore this text, testing only". And you can call a government office and hang up after the answering machine kicks in.
Daniel