• Mar 19th, 2022 12:58 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
dandeals wrote: Hi,

Sorry to post it here but I'm desperate... :(

I've been using this plan ($15 for 3Gb) since August 2016.

I have used Zoiper and start using Groundwire 3 months ago for better BT connectivity with my car.
Everything worked well until yesterday, when I was not able to make outgoing calls on the mobile data network.
Outgoing calls over a wifi network is fine. Receiving calls on the data network is fine also.

I have try re-booting my phone 5-6 times, uninstalled Groundwire, install Zoiper but still not able to make outgoing calls!!!

Somebody having or got the same issue,

Thanks for your help,

Is Fido somehow blocking such outgoing calls now on its data network? Is there any way to fix this?
Is this happening on BOTH Zoiper and Groundwire ?? Hangouts Dialer?

Edit: Did you maybe put in place some data limit on your phone??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Nov 17, 2014
47 posts
30 upvotes
Montréal, QC
max011 wrote: Is this happening on BOTH Zoiper and Groundwire ?? Hangouts Dialer?
Yes both, even try other 2 apps not to mention...

Edit: Did you maybe put in place some data limit on your phone??
No data limit, I've just double check and still 2GB left on 3GB.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1918 posts
1389 upvotes
GTA
dandeals wrote: Hi,

Sorry to post it here but I'm desperate... :(

I've been using this plan ($15 for 3Gb) since August 2016.

I have used Zoiper and start using Groundwire 3 months ago for better BT connectivity with my car.
Everything worked well until yesterday, when I was not able to make outgoing calls on the mobile data network.
Outgoing calls over a wifi network is fine. Receiving calls on the data network is fine also.

I have try re-booting my phone 5-6 times, uninstalled Groundwire, install Zoiper but still not able to make outgoing calls!!!

Somebody having or got the same issue,

Thanks for your help,

Is Fido somehow blocking such outgoing calls now on its data network? Is there any way to fix this?
it works fine on my end. im using Groundwire to connect to my asterisk box. the asterisk box uses googlevoice and voipms sip accounts.
Pixel 6a combo -
$8 talk text PM plan
$0 4GB eSIM data only plan
$1 voip backup line
Nov 17, 2014
47 posts
30 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Fixed!!!
I had to change APN protocol to IPv4 only instead of IPv4/IPv6 (default value) in ltemobile.apn configuration...
Make me wonder why it was working for 2 years at default value but suddently stop working???
Thanks for trying to help me guys!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
dandeals wrote: Fixed!!!
I had to change APN protocol to IPv4 only instead of IPv4/IPv6 (default value) in ltemobile.apn configuration...
Make me wonder why it was working for 2 years at default value but suddently stop working???
Thanks for trying to help me guys!
Isn't this exactly what I told you at lunch ???
;-)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
bylo wrote: IMO that's a bad idea.
1. I want to be able to receive texts for free, e.g. for 2FA.
2. I want the ability to make and receive calls, even if $1/min, in (non 911) emergency situations, e.g. car breaks down, I'm delayed for an important meeting, etc. and from my current location VoIP-based calling (e.g. Fongo) isn't working reliably.
3. Other special situations that may arise.

There's an easy way to avoid making unintended calls/texts on the Fido number: Create a folder and put all apps that use that number inside. That way the apps are available if/when you need them yet they're hard to invoke by accident.
That isn't so easy from my experience ...

I am using GroundWire with my voip.ms account.
It was setup to work fine with my car UConnect system.
So I could press the steering wheel PHONE button, tell the car to call my wife and voilà.

But lately, GroundWire last update disabled some options in their software.
So last week, while trying to call my wife, using the car UConnect system, instead of making the call using my voip.ms account, I hear
- WE'RE SORRY BUT THE PHONE PROVIDER DOESN'T ALLOWS ....
(this is because Fido's blocks the voice call on my request).

If the voice call wouldn't have been block, those calls would have gone through, and I would have been charged 1$ per minutes ...

Not sure how long it would have taken me before I would have realized that the car was now using GMS instead of voip.ms ...
But this could have resulted into a $$$ invoice.
May 12, 2009
468 posts
1016 upvotes
superbigjay wrote: That isn't so easy from my experience ...

I am using GroundWire with my voip.ms account.
It was setup to work fine with my car UConnect system.
So I could press the steering wheel PHONE button, tell the car to call my wife and voilà.

But lately, GroundWire last update disabled some options in their software.
So last week, while trying to call my wife, using the car UConnect system, instead of making the call using my voip.ms account, I hear
- WE'RE SORRY BUT THE PHONE PROVIDER DOESN'T ALLOWS ....
(this is because Fido's blocks the voice call on my request).

If the voice call wouldn't have been block, those calls would have gone through, and I would have been charged 1$ per minutes ...

Not sure how long it would have taken me before I would have realized that the car was now using GMS instead of voip.ms ...
But this could have resulted into a $$$ invoice.
Something similar has happened to me, I use Zoiper+voip.ms. The reason this is happening is because Google has changed the rules about app permissions because of so many malicious developers that were asking permissions for illegitimate purposes. As a result legit developers had to remove native dialer integration with their voip app. Like so many times, giants like Google do not care about the little guy in a crackdown like this.

As a side note, what I love about Zoiper is that they also have SMS that works seamlessly, although not all 2F authentication services will work with it (but some will do).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
horiah00 wrote: As a side note, what I love about Zoiper is that they also have SMS that works seamlessly, although not all 2F authentication services will work with it (but some will do).
Hmmm... this is a [good] news to me. I stop using Zoiper some time ago when I switched to Groudwire and at that time SMS was not Zoiper's strong side either... at least with the Zoiper Free.

Are you using paid version [Zoiper v5]??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
May 12, 2009
468 posts
1016 upvotes
max011 wrote: Are you using paid version [Zoiper v5]??
I use Zoiper (Lite), version 2.7.1.2. I believe the SMS feature is free. I pay for the Push service, for better call reliability and better battery life. I got a new phone around the same time I started to pay subscription, so I am not sure if battery life is indeed better. I should probably cancel my subscription and do the one time payment, I think it's worth it.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Anyone who used both Zoiper and Fongo can comment?

Fongo has really good reliability provided you have at least 1 bar at 4G. It only works seamlessly with some phone, as I remember with my nexus 4 it was horrible, but works flawlessly on the Zenfone 3. Only cost is $10 for 6 months of outgoing text, everything else is free, canada wide.

What about Zoiper? How do they make money if SMS are free?

Fongo also allows (some) 2F authentifications. Not sure if they would work and not work with the same services like Zoiper
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9826 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
horiah00 wrote:
Something similar has happened to me, I use Zoiper+voip.ms. The reason this is happening is because Google has changed the rules about app permissions because of so many malicious developers that were asking permissions for illegitimate purposes. As a result legit developers had to remove native dialer integration with their voip app. Like so many times, giants like Google do not care about the little guy in a crackdown like this.

As a side note, what I love about Zoiper is that they also have SMS that works seamlessly, although not all 2F authentication services will work with it (but some will do).
max011 wrote:
Hmmm... this is a [good] news to me. I stop using Zoiper some time ago when I switched to Groudwire and at that time SMS was not Zoiper's strong side either... at least with the Zoiper Free.

Are you using paid version [Zoiper v5]??
horiah00 wrote:
I use Zoiper (Lite), version 2.7.1.2. I believe the SMS feature is free. I pay for the Push service, for better call reliability and better battery life. I got a new phone around the same time I started to pay subscription, so I am not sure if battery life is indeed better. I should probably cancel my subscription and do the one time payment, I think it's worth it.
Messerschmitt wrote: Anyone who used both Zoiper and Fongo can comment?

Fongo has really good reliability provided you have at least 1 bar at 4G. It only works seamlessly with some phone, as I remember with my nexus 4 it was horrible, but works flawlessly on the Zenfone 3. Only cost is $10 for 6 months of outgoing text, everything else is free, canada wide.

Fongo also allows (some) 2F authentifications. Not sure if they would work and not work with the same services like Zoiper
You can also try textnow.
It is free for both voice call and sms.

Update: I just checked and I was using textnow, not textme.
Last edited by theflyingsquirrel on Mar 23rd, 2019 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote: How does textme get their money?
Textme/Textnow/Textwhatever... It is all basically a scam, con and a lie. It's not free. You have to either tolerate a deluge of advertising and/or perform stunts to obtain credits, or pay $8 [?]/month. You won't be able to even type your SMS due to popups and adds! If you think it's worth $8/month, then this will work for you. If you don't mind living in app hell, it's free. Recommended for kids and unemployed only.

Also, version of Zoiper that works w/SMS is PAID version [in about the same way as Fongo's SMS I think]. Fongo never worked reliably for me; poor voice quality, missed majority of calls, SMS works only if paid.... So buying Groundwire is probably the best way to go about VOIP at this point. Highest possible voice over IP quality. VOIP.MS has SMS app to go with it as well as an option to send you SMS to email in real time...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9826 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
max011 wrote: Textme/Textnow/Textwhatever... It is all basically a scam, con and a lie. It's not free. You have to either tolerate a deluge of advertising and/or perform stunts to obtain credits, or pay $8 [?]/month. You won't be able to even type your SMS due to popups and adds! If you think it's worth $8/month, then this will work for you. If you don't mind living in app hell, it's free. Recommended for kids and unemployed only.

Also, version of Zoiper that works w/SMS is PAID version [in about the same way as Fongo's SMS I think]. Fongo never worked reliably for me; poor voice quality, missed majority of calls, SMS works only if paid.... So buying Groundwire is probably the best way to go about VOIP at this point. Highest possible voice over IP quality. VOIP.MS has SMS app to go with it as well as an option to send you SMS to email in real time...
Not sure how textnow worked for you, but it worked perfectly for me.
They have an ad banner at the bottom of the contact list and that is about it.
I never see any pop up as you mentioned. Are you sure you are using textnow?
It is also reliable for me for both sms and phone call.
Fongo is also having reliable phone call as well. Perhaps it is your network?

I wont stop you if you want to pay for voip and sms, but please make comment on those app base on true experience, not some make up facts.

Updated: I checked and I was using textnow, not textme.
Last edited by theflyingsquirrel on Mar 23rd, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Not sure how textme worked for you, but it worked perfectly for me.
They have an ad banner at the bottom of the contact list and that is about it.
I never see any pop up as you mentioned. Are you sure you are using textme?
It is also reliable for me for both sms and phone call.
Fongo is also having reliable phone call as well. Perhaps it is your network?

I wont stop you if you want to pay for voip and sms, but please make comment on those app base on true experience, not some make up facts.
All that I said is just like that. YMMV.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9826 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
max011 wrote: All that I said is just like that. YMMV.
Messerschmitt wrote: How does textme get their money?
I just checked and I was using textnow, not textme.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1147 posts
389 upvotes
Kitchener
I use Zoiper and VoIP.ms

Personally, I don't like Zoiper's SMS integration and use separate SMS app for VoIP.ms: I find Zoiper receives texts with the delay (slight, may be minute or two).

The only limitation - you can send 100 texts a day, (my daughter confirmed it :) but unlimited through their web sms-portal.

VoIP.ms says it's SMS system is in beta mode and they might charge for it in the future.
max011 wrote: Textme/Textnow/Textwhatever... It is all basically a scam, con and a lie. It's not free. You have to either tolerate a deluge of advertising and/or perform stunts to obtain credits, or pay $8 [?]/month. You won't be able to even type your SMS due to popups and adds! If you think it's worth $8/month, then this will work for you. If you don't mind living in app hell, it's free. Recommended for kids and unemployed only.

Слава Україні!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
horiah00 wrote: I use Zoiper (Lite), version 2.7.1.2. I believe the SMS feature is free. I pay for the Push service, for better call reliability and better battery life. I got a new phone around the same time I started to pay subscription, so I am not sure if battery life is indeed better. I should probably cancel my subscription and do the one time payment, I think it's worth it.
Messerschmitt wrote: Anyone who used both Zoiper and Fongo can comment?

I used Zoiper free until recently. SMS feature never worked well (via SIP). Recently Zoiper introduced paid push, which would help, but is not it a monthly subscription? Too bad!

So, I uninstalled it, and went with Groundwire. One time payment , and everything works seamlessly , both voice and SMS.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)