Cell Phones

Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2022 12:58 pm
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
N.B. Zopiper Pro for 11 bucks one time payment may be comparable to Groundwire.
Does anyone know if Z. pro include push, and how reliable is it? Overall, I liked Zoiper, and would not mind to get pro version if it has no montly fee for push...
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: Difference between Groundwire and Fongo is?
Fongo sometimes misses calls / sms for me, groundwire does not (so far, light usage).

Neother can receive MMS which sucks as people are still sending them :)
Dec 6, 2012
431 posts
253 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Tichi wrote: Fongo sometimes misses calls / sms for me, groundwire does not (so far, light usage).

I observe Fongo does not automatically give you the option to ignore battery optimization on Android so it may not run in background.

Groundwire gives you an option to ignore battery optimization during install. Which allows it to run in background.

You may have to check your phone setting and let Fongo run in background by ignoring battery optimization for Fongo app. That maybe the reason you missed calls and SMS on Fongo.

I use both apps but don't have any problems with either apps.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
donbamo wrote: I observe Fongo does not automatically give you the option to ignore battery optimization on Android so it may not run in background.

Groundwire gives you an option to ignore battery optimization during install. Which allows it to run in background.

You may have to check your phone setting and let Fongo run in background by ignoring battery optimization for Fongo app. That maybe the reason you missed calls and SMS on Fongo.

I use both apps but don't have any problems with either apps.
Ah, OK, Thanks! Silly me. Indeed, my Fongo was "battery optimized". Removed it, will see how Fongo behaves now!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote: Difference between Groundwire and Fongo is?
If you are on the East Coast where Fongo works for the most users, or lucky nuff to have it work reliably elsewhere, and want as-is app without almost any setup options, and have monies to throw at repeating SMS subscriptions - Fongo is for you.

If, on the other hand, you want reliable PROFESSIONAL app that works everywhere, high voice quality, unbelievable amount of settings options, additional Codecs etc.... Groundwire is the way to go.

Yes, there is [some] learning to do, but Groundwire will work like a charm on its basic settings as well, blowing Fongo out of the water in many ways.

Also, buying Groundwire [with all add-ons and extra Codecs] will cost you less than paying for Fongo SMS subscription couple of times...

[Disclaimer: My 2 cents only, YMMV]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
max011 wrote: Textme/Textnow/Textwhatever... It is all basically a scam, con and a lie. It's not free. You have to either tolerate a deluge of advertising and/or perform stunts to obtain credits, or pay $8 [?]/month. You won't be able to even type your SMS due to popups and adds! If you think it's worth $8/month, then this will work for you. If you don't mind living in app hell, it's free. Recommended for kids and unemployed only.

Also, version of Zoiper that works w/SMS is PAID version [in about the same way as Fongo's SMS I think]. Fongo never worked reliably for me; poor voice quality, missed majority of calls, SMS works only if paid.... So buying Groundwire is probably the best way to go about VOIP at this point. Highest possible voice over IP quality. VOIP.MS has SMS app to go with it as well as an option to send you SMS to email in real time...
I've been using textnow for a couple years now. Works great for me and doesn't cost me anything. You can always pay to get rid of the ads, or just google 'textnow ad free mod'. Grinning Face
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
I have been using this data plan with Fongo for some time, but sound quality has gone downhill recently. Any good alternatives to Fongo?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
baillieul wrote: Any good alternatives to Fongo?
You could try TextNow or else one of the raw VoIP sellers like voip.ms.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7781 upvotes
Vancouver
baillieul wrote: I have been using this data plan with Fongo for some time, but sound quality has gone downhill recently. Any good alternatives to Fongo?
Depends how serious you are about it, and what are your needs....

There are apps a bit better than Fongo, but it is all about the same - a lot of abysmal calls in between of a few clear ones... [Forums consensus is that even Fongo works way better on iPhones.]

The best results hands down will be with Groundwire [paid app] and VOIP provided phone line [VOIP.MS, Anveo etc...] on a very strong data.

It costs a little bit and there is a learning curve, but it pays off soon in lack of frustration. But "voice over data" is nowhere near being perfect or even seriously compete with regular cell lines.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
max011 wrote: But "voice over data" is nowhere near being perfect or even seriously compete with regular cell lines.
And this is why I'd never have Fido block cell calls. There are situations when a call is important enough to be worth paying $1/minute to guarantee the best possible voice quality.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Tichi wrote: Fongo sometimes misses calls / sms for me, groundwire does not (so far, light usage).

I’m glad no one I know still sends MMS’ or we’d be having trouble staying connected.
Even people who send MMS’ couldn’t possibly be using it as a primary messaging medium. You can’t possibly always use MMS even if you’re an emoji-only or video-picture-only kind of person. Your text-only messages will still go through even if the other person doesn’t accept MMS on their phone, so it’s not like you end up losing a way to connect with people if you drop MMS altogether - both as a sender and a recipient.

So I don’t see a point in MMS at this day and age. I think it’s really just a cash cow for carriers from customers who’re have PPU MMS. Feel free to enlighten me otherwise.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Jul 16, 2013
942 posts
411 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: I’m glad no one I know still sends MMS’ or we’d be having trouble staying connected.
Even people who send MMS’ couldn’t possibly be using it as a primary messaging medium. You can’t possibly always use MMS even if you’re an emoji-only or video-picture-only kind of person. Your text-only messages will still go through even if the other person doesn’t accept MMS on their phone, so it’s not like you end up losing a way to connect with people if you drop MMS altogether - both as a sender and a recipient.

So I don’t see a point in MMS at this day and age. I think it’s really just a cash cow for carriers from customers who’re have PPU MMS. Feel free to enlighten me otherwise.
I don’t agree. MMS still serves its purposes. For example if u were selling something and ppl wanted to see more pictures. Not everything is on social media.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6676 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
ZenaZ927 wrote: I don’t agree. MMS still serves its purposes. For example if u were selling something and ppl wanted to see more pictures. Not everything is on social media.
+1

I use MMS more than once everyday
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: I’m glad no one I know still sends MMS’ or we’d be having trouble staying connected.

Me neither, I do not see, but people dear to us are still sending those damned MMS, and we have to respond! :)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Me neither, I do not see, but people dear to us are still sending those damned MMS, and we have to respond! :)
Yeah. Just use dropbox, onedrive, google drive, or a millions other image sharing stuff like imgur. Why bother with MMS is beyond me honestly.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: Yeah. Just use dropbox, onedrive, google drive, or a millions other image sharing stuff like imgur. Why bother with MMS is beyond me honestly.
I do not like MMS, but it ia important to me to be able to respond when ppl are sending them :)
Aug 28, 2018
7 posts
13 upvotes
dandeals wrote: Fixed!!!
I had to change APN protocol to IPv4 only instead of IPv4/IPv6 (default value) in ltemobile.apn configuration...
Make me wonder why it was working for 2 years at default value but suddently stop working???
Thanks for trying to help me guys!
This information help me with my Zoiper + voip.ms issue. I believe there was no incoming and outgoing on LTE data, while wifi works fine. Thank you!
However, I think Zoiper should know this and try to solve it. Sooner or later, IPv6 will be here.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ZenaZ927 wrote: Or just go get a cheap prepaid and pull the number out which will automatically cancel the line
Or better still spend $25 one-time to port the number to Fongo. Then use that number with the Fongo app to make/receive VoIP calls for free within Canada from anywhere in the world where you have Internet access.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 16, 2013
942 posts
411 upvotes
bylo wrote: Or better still spend $25 one-time to port the number to Fongo. Then use that number with the Fongo app to make/receive VoIP calls for free within Canada from anywhere in the world where you have Internet access.
I would suggest VoIP.ms. I think the service is more reliable fongo app is ugly.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1771 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver
ZenaZ927 wrote: I would suggest VoIP.ms. I think the service is more reliable fongo app is ugly.
agreed, and suggest groundwire as your SIP application.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

toastbusters