Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2368 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 7:43 pm
that function alone makes it worth every dime I’m paying them compared to free options like, say, FONGO with OBIHAI call back for instance
Fongo Mobile can not be used on an ATA. Fongo Home phone can not be used on any ATA other than the one sold (currently a Grandstream model) by Fongo. So, it's impossible to use Fongo with an Obihai product. Freephoneline and Fongo are sister companies owned by Fibernetics and do not offer the same services. It costs money ($5+tax) to port phone numbers between Freephoneline and Fongo Home Phone or Fongo Mobile. So, it's not a good idea to confuse these services. Fongo Mobile, Fongo Home Phone (not a BYOD service), and Freephoneline (BYOD service) are all separate services. Freephoneline and Fongo's servers have different IPs. You may see "powered by Fongo" on FPL's webpage, but Freephoneline and Fongo are treated as being sister companies that are both owned by Fibernetics.

VoIP.ms, Anveo, Freephoneline, Google Voice, etc., can be used with Obihai OBi200/202 ATAs, simultaneously, and all calls be routed between any of these services using Obihai ATAs. Further, a Google Voice phone number is not required to make outgoing calls with an Obihai ATA (just a Google Voice account is required).

Provided the phone number someone wants to use is already provisioned with a service on someone's Obihai ATA, nothing is stopping that person from dialing into it on their cellphone and placing an outbound call with that phone number using the service provider that provides the phone number. Nothing is stopping an incoming call to that number from be routed to that person's cellphone either. And no flaky cellular data signal is required.

Fongo Mobile is free with the exception of sending SMS (and receiving verification SMS from whatsapp, for example). Freephoneline is only free if you use its free desktop app (this is how Freephoneline got its name). Otherwise, Freephoneline's VoIP Unlock key costs a one time fee of $79.95+tax. Fongo Home Phone costs $4.95+tax per month. There's nothing free about Fongo Home phone nor Freephoneline's VoIP unlock key (intended for use with any SIP device/service).
Last edited by Webslinger on Feb 5th, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2368 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 11:02 pm
FONGO = Excellent on iOS. Everywhere. Period.
Fongo Mobile is not excellent everywhere on iOS. No VoIP service over cellular data is excellent everywhere.

Jitter and ping always matter. Where you are can affect jitter and ping between you and the SIP servers being used; where you are can affect the strength of your cellular data signal.

If I'm in Japan, trying to connect to SIP servers in Ontario, the transit provider used by the ISP matters. Transit providers matter; peering matters.

Bottom line is that jitter always matters. And your location can affect jitter.
Last edited by Webslinger on Feb 5th, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Jan 26, 2017
26 posts
If i go with voip.ms, and do not choose the e911 option. Can I still dial 911 using my my native fido number. Will the e911 services still be available to me?

BTW, I called fido and disabled outgoing calls
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
BTW, I'm curious... Will we be able to see soon some 3rd party VoIP apps and providers (like zoiper and voip.ms) implementing VoLTE protocol?

Or it depends on bells and whistles on the cell carrier's side?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2068 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
I tried Talkatone on my LG G3 during the weekend.

Call quality is good. SMS and MMS is good.

But the problem is draining the battery like no others. Much much worse than Fongo.

Anyone tired Talkatone has the same issue? How about Freetone?
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless & Home phone, Fido Tablet Plan + Knowroaming sticker
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2368 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 10:24 am
BTW, I'm curious... Will we be able to see soon some 3rd party VoIP apps and providers (like zoiper and voip.ms) implementing VoLTE protocol?
It's not as though Rogers, (or anyone), is going to suddenly allow third party VoIP.ms calls over it's VoLTE service/network without you paying to access it. I see that as the primary barrier (in addition to VoIP.ms not currently supporting HD codecs).
Sep 5, 2016
205 posts
61 upvotes
This is my question
Is this VoLTE similar to sip protocol? (i.e csipsimple registar sip service equal to rogers or carrier VoLTE). If Csip simple registar sip service & DID support G722 or Opus Codec.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7170 posts
699 upvotes
guru2gr8 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 1:28 pm
This is my question
Is this VoLTE similar to sip protocol? (i.e csipsimple registar sip service equal to rogers or carrier VoLTE). If Csip simple registar sip service & DID support G722 or Opus Codec.
VoLTE is not handled by an app but the phone mobile side firmware(for voice) AFAIK.
Dec 21, 2015
93 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm apple user and today I have ported my existing public mobile number to fido data plan, just to keep the verification texts going. Gonna float textnow number to friends and family as it offers free calls and text both. Fongo is also good but outgoing text is not free.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3617 posts
606 upvotes
Brampton ON
AnkurC051509 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 5:46 pm
I'm apple user and today I have ported my existing public mobile number to fido data plan, just to keep the verification texts going. Gonna float textnow number to friends and family as it offers free calls and text both. Fongo is also good but outgoing text is not free.
I hope i will not see you complaining the apps.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $21 10gb
BYOP ( Plan * 24months + Phone )
Contract ( Plan * 24months - Phone - GC )

Dec 21, 2015
93 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
d1ulove3 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 5:56 pm
I hope i will not see you complaining the apps.
I was using both fongo and textnow with public mobile data(3-4 bars at most in Vancouver), both gave me good results as far as calls are concerned. I wont mind making a short emergency call with fido, I know its $1 per minute plus LD but I'm saving good so its okay,
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 12:34 pm
It's not as though Rogers, (or anyone), is going to suddenly allow third party VoIP.ms calls over it's VoLTE service/network without you paying to access it. I see that as the primary barrier (in addition to VoIP.ms not currently supporting HD codecs).
OK, thank you, Webslinger, for an insightful clarification, but from your answer it follows that VoLTE is sort of dead at birth,
as one needs a truly universal IP over mobile air connection, without any reference to a particular mobile protocol.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2368 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 6:46 pm
OK, thank you, Webslinger, for an insightful clarification, but from your answer it follows that VoLTE is sort of dead at birth
It's not dead if all major mobile providers are going to be using it. Simply because Rogers won't allow 3rd party access to its network for free doesn't make something dead.
Last edited by Webslinger on Feb 6th, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
286 posts
107 upvotes
By the way, for anyone who is wondering...I spoke with a rep at Fongo and unfortunately he said that MMS is still cost prohibitive and so it won't be coming to the app anytime soon :(
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2603 posts
427 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
So i've been following android voip for ages and have had all sorts of opinions but no real hands on experience since i haven't had a real android phone. Now i have a hand me down Nexus 5 on android 6.0.1

If ive set hangouts as my default dialer all attempts to call anything launch the hangouts app (contacts, links, even loading the default dialer app and typing in a number).
Is there some trick to be able to quickly dial with normal cellular service (like if one needs to call 911) without going into settings->apps->hangouts->clear defaults, and then trying to make the call? Or is this one hurdle that still isn't fully solved with voip?

i hear csipsimple is the one and only app that lets you set filters for certain numbers. So if csipsimple is your default dialer you can filter 911 to be "do not call" and the phone will automatically use the default cellular dialer. but hangouts, native android sip, and all the others don't have this feature.

So am i misssing a trick or is this just reality?