Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7170 posts
699 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 6:46 pm
OK, thank you, Webslinger, for an insightful clarification, but from your answer it follows that VoLTE is sort of dead at birth,
as one needs a truly universal IP over mobile air connection, without any reference to a particular mobile protocol.
dead at birth ? It is in the Telco's interest to enable VoLTE as that save them bandwidth but that has nothing to do with 'apps'. mobile voice channel takes up the most bandwidth(basically it is a dedicated circuit that cannot be multiplexed. VoLTE on the other hand is ip based and can be multiplexed. Of course, that requires software upgrade(both the phone and station) so they would only do it when they want to make better use of bandwidth.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12445 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
sparkaction wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 3:51 pm
What happens to phone OS upgrades? On Mobile's trip, Rogers is purportedly going to release security updates sometime today. Are phones on this tablet plan going to receive these updates?
It doesn't matter what mobile provider you're on. The phone will still get its updates.
Public Mobile
Mar 20, 2003
26 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Line2. After doing a ton of research the issue with all VOIP providers seems to be SMS and particularly MMS. I have another number with Fongo and paid for SMS but there is no MMS. Same with voip.ms. I don't know how they are doing this when the others aren't but Line2 does seem to do these things correctly and they have a decent PC app to do calls/SMS/MMS through. Also they have call recording which is another thing I need.

This does cost more money than the others. When I signed up for the one week trial a rep called me and offered me a small discount off the first year if I signed up. So I'd say do this trial rather than ordering it straight away for full price. I paid $89.50/USD for a year - this is about $10/mo CDN.

Anyone else using Line2?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2145 posts
493 upvotes
If I get a dual SIM phone (Samsung s7 edge) with telus and have voice only plan there, can I add Fido SIM on the 2nd SIM slot and use data from Fido? Do I need to unlock the phone?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1323 posts
295 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 6:08 am
If I get a dual SIM phone (Samsung s7 edge) with telus and have voice only plan there, can I add Fido SIM on the 2nd SIM slot and use data from Fido? Do I need to unlock the phone?
I believe the Samsung S7 edge only supports one SIM slot at LTE at a time, the other is 2G. Telus doesn't support 2G so that combination wouldn't work even with that dual sim phone.

The Asus Zenfone 3 is a dual sim phone that will allow you to do what you want.
Current Favorites: Fido $15/3GB & My Mall Box
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2145 posts
493 upvotes
dealseeker wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 6:18 am
I believe the Samsung S7 edge only supports one SIM slot at LTE at a time, the other is 2G. Telus doesn't support 2G so that combination wouldn't work even with that dual sim phone.

The Asus Zenfone 3 is a dual sim phone that will allow you to do what you want.
Thanks. How about Lenovo Zuk Z2? Can that phone allow 2 SIMs operate at LTE the same time? I checked and the phone compatible with both Telus and Fido LTE. just don't know if both can function at the same time
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1323 posts
295 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 6:36 am
Thanks. How about Lenovo Zuk Z2? Can that phone allow 2 SIMs operate at LTE the same time? I checked and the phone compatible with both Telus and Fido LTE. just don't know if both can function at the same time
From what I can find, I think that will work. Only one will have LTE but the second slot will run at 3G which is fine for your Telus voice plan.
Current Favorites: Fido $15/3GB & My Mall Box
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 7:34 pm

It's not dead if all major mobile providers are going to be using it. Simply because Rogers won't allow 3rd party access to its network for free doesn't make something dead.
chimp wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 9:04 pm
dead at birth ? It is in the Telco's interest to enable VoLTE as that save them bandwidth but that has nothing to do with 'apps'. mobile voice channel takes up the most bandwidth(basically it is a dedicated circuit that cannot be multiplexed. VoLTE on the other hand is ip based and can be multiplexed. Of course, that requires software upgrade(both the phone and station) so they would only do it when they want to make better use of bandwidth.
What I meant is that it is extremely weird that an Internet provider charges you (or a third party) for use of a particualr protocol/traffic on their network. It is as if your home ISP would charge you for your FTP use :)

What about net neutrality?

I think VoLTE will be either free or dead. :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2368 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 8:01 am
What I meant is that it is extremely weird that an Internet provider charges you (or a third party) for use of a particualr protocol/traffic on their network.
They're not providing you internet access. They're providing you a closed mobility service on their infrastructure that they paid for. VoLTE is a feature/service that is provided by the mobility service someone subscribes to. It's not clear to me why, even if the smartphone being used supports VoLTE, a mobility provider would allow, for free, a third party VoIP company access. Moreover, my understanding is that they'll be using QoS for communication packets. If I am Rogers, why would I allow third parties free access to my mobility network? The entire benefit of VoLTE is to reduce Rogers' overhead--not to allow free access to third parties. The general idea is if you're a Rogers mobility customer, your call that would normally use regular airtime can, instead, turn into a VoIP call using an HD codec, and, in turn, use less resources for Rogers. The intended purpose of VoLTE is not to allow third parties to have free rides. I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect, that in order for that to happen, the customer would need to pay more, which would discourage the use of third party VoIP providers anyway.
It is as if your home ISP would charge you for your FTP use
It's closer to allowing third party VoIP.ms customers use, for free, the dedicated, closed network Rogers uses for its VoIP home phone service. That would make no sense at all.
What about net neutrality?
From my perspective, this has nothing to do with net neutrality. VoIP.ms is a SIP service that doesn't currently offer HD codecs. When they support HD codecs, you'll still be using cellular data just as you do currently (unless you use DISA instead). Rogers and other mobility providers aren't stopping you from using cellular data.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6987 posts
978 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 8:01 am

I think VoLTE will be either free or dead. :)
My understanding of VoLTE is that its IP based (packet based) in the backed, that has the same benefits as a circuit based network. It's very similar to Rogers's home phone service where it's packet based, and your calls go though it's own "separate" data network. Even though you have your own ATA for homephone, you can't use the rogers "voice" network for it. It has to go though regular IP (Internet)

Similar to VoLTE, it can't be "opened" up just because it's IP based. It also requires the correct hardware/firmware versions on the phone to work. It will be the next step in mobile networks as they would allow the providers to decommission the HSPA network and further advance.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12445 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
mkl38s wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 6:36 am
dealseeker wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 6:48 am
From what I can find, I think that will work. Only one will have LTE but the second slot will run at 3G which is fine for your Telus voice plan.
I didn't realize the Z2 was simultaneous dual 3G, but you're right. Looks like people are reporting that it is in fact able to do 3g on both sims at the same time.
Public Mobile
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
Maybe my view of the mobile operators merely as Internet Service Providers is a bit too premature at this time point,
but IMO it is heading quickly that way.

In fact it has already started, since they have begun offering INTERNET_ONLY plans, has not it?

Also one may argue that any home ISP also gives you access to their private, owned, and build network, before letting you off to
the wild internet prairies :)

Webslinger wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 8:39 am
They're not providing you internet access. They're providing you a closed mobility service on their infrastructure that they paid for. VoLTE is a feature/service that is provided by the mobility service someone subscribes to. It's not clear to me why, even if the smartphone being used supports VoLTE, a mobility provider would allow, for free, a third party VoIP company access. Moreover, my understanding is that they'll be using QoS for communication packets. If I am Rogers, why would I allow third parties free access to my mobility network? The entire benefit of VoLTE is to reduce Rogers' overhead--not to allow free access to third parties. The general idea is if you're a Rogers mobility customer, your call that would normally use regular airtime can, instead, turn into a VoIP call using an HD codec, and, in turn, use less resources for Rogers. The intended purpose of VoLTE is not to allow third parties to have free rides. I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect, that in order for that to happen, the customer would need to pay more, which would discourage the use of third party VoIP providers anyway.

It's closer to allowing third party VoIP.ms customers use, for free, the dedicated, closed network Rogers uses for its VoIP home phone service. That would make no sense at all.

From my perspective, this has nothing to do with net neutrality. VoIP.ms is a SIP service that doesn't currently offer HD codecs. When they support HD codecs, you'll still be using cellular data just as you do currently (unless you use DISA instead). Rogers and other mobility providers aren't stopping you from using cellular data.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2368 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 9:44 am
Maybe my view of the mobile operators merely as Internet Service Providers is a bit too premature at this time point,
but IMO it is heading quickly that way.

In fact it has already started, since they have begun offering INTERNET_ONLY plans, has not it?

Also one may argue that any home ISP also gives you access to their private, owned, and build network, before letting you off to
the wild internet prairies :)
Yes, but those are specifically offering internet access services, as opposed to a mobility (communication) service.

There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from using any VoIP provider he or she wants over cellular data or at home with his or her traditional ISP service using whatever audio or video codecs that provider supports.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 10:02 am
Yes, but those are specifically offering internet access services, as opposed to a mobility (communication) service.

There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from using any VoIP provider he or she wants over cellular data or at home with his or her traditional ISP service using whatever audio or video codecs that provider supports.
But if a VoIP provider supports VoLTE protocol, and writes an app that supports VoLTE protocol on a cellphone that supports VoLTE protocol,
what would stop them using e.g. Rogers mobile internet network for voice calls? All Rogers would see, is another stream of IP data?

Sorry, I'm not an expert, maybe what I wrote just above is silly, but I cannot comprehend what's so special in principle about VoLTE, that
makes is locked to a particular mobile operator. Maybe it is a matter of modifying VoLTE to allow a universal access..
To me VoLTE is just a parallel algorithm for encoding HD audio, is not it?
Sep 5, 2016
205 posts
61 upvotes
I am also agree with Tichi, according to me also VoLTE make some type of tunnel between specific IP address server & mobile phone (which control by Rogers this time), & there Data router gave QSS service to that tunnel so data priorty to VoLTE then other data internet applications. So if the VOIP provider make this type of arrangement they can easily eliminate Rogers dependability & stood independently by solving these pieces of puzzle .
It is more or less same type of theory like high speed internet connection through Cable or ADSL connection. Cable get internet through public sharable mechanism & ADSl get independent data connection through ISP/ telephone exchange
Last edited by guru2gr8 on Feb 7th, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.