Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8067 posts
2368 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 10:18 am
But if a VoIP provider supports VoLTE protocol and writes an app that supports VoLTE protocol on a cellphone that supports VoLTE protocol,
what would stop them using e.g. Rogers mobile internet network for voice calls? All Rogers would see, is another stream of IP data?
Without getting into semantics, avoiding conversations involving patents, IMS, EVS, AMR-WB, etc., as I mentioned before there's nothing stopping any VoIP provider from using anything it wants over cellular data, and since you're paying for cellular data, Rogers is more than happy to allow you to use cellular data. So, if some VoIP service comes out that uses the same amount of data and the same audio codec over cellular data or at home, you're welcome to use it. But it can't offer end-to-end QoS.

The use of VoLTE means that you're using a mobility service. Further, it
means that you have regular cellular airtime minutes that you can use. Using VoLTE does not count against your cellular data plan because using VoLTE basically helps
the mobility provider. But data isn't free. So why would Rogers, for example, give VoIP.ms' customers, for example, free data? And why would Rogers give priority QoS to VoIP.ms' communication packets for its voice service?
Sorry, I'm not an expert, maybe what I wrote just above is silly, but I cannot comprehend what's so special in principle about VoLTE, that
makes is locked to a particular mobile operator.
It's not locked to any specific mobile operator. Major mobility providers will be/are offering it (Telus, Rogers, Bell).

Anyway, I'm done.
guru2gr8 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 11:14 am
So if the VOIP provider make this type of arrangement they can easily eliminate Rogers dependability & stood independently by solving these pieces of puzzle .
The VoIP provider would need to be paying someone for this. Those costs get passed on to whom? The customer. VoIP.ms certainly doesn't offer anything like that at this time, and it would cost them money to implement.

The argument that Tichi is making is that I, for example, could sign up to Rogers with just a cellular data plan. Then suddenly I should be able to use Roger's existing VoLTE network with a third party VoIP provider. I don't see that happening without tons of fighting with/from the CRTC, and I'm doubtful the CRTC wouldn't side with Rogers, Bell, and Telus.

But if someone develops something that's similar in terms of voice quality and bandwidth usage, then yeah, you can use that using cellular data. But it's still going to cost you cellular data usage.
Last edited by Webslinger on Feb 7th, 2017 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
May 5, 2008
904 posts
207 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 11:20 am
Without getting into semantics, avoiding conversations involving patents, IMS, EVS, AMR-WB, etc., as I mentioned before there's nothing stopping any VoIP provider from using anything it wants over cellular data, and since you're paying for cellular data, Rogers is more than happy to allow you to use cellular data. So, if some VoIP services comes out that uses the same amount of data and the same audio codec over cellular data or at home, you're welcome to use it. But it can't offer end-to-end QoS.

The use of VoLTE means that you're using a mobility service. Further, it
means that you have regular cellular airtime minutes that you can use. Using VoLTE does not count against your cellular data plan because using VoLTE basically helps
the mobility provider. But data isn't free. So why would Rogers, for example, give VoIP.ms' customers, for example, free data? And why would Rogers give priority QoS to VoIP.ms' communication packets for its voice service?

It's not locked to any specific mobile operator. Major mobility providers will/are using it (Telus, Rogers, Bell).

Anyway, I'm done.
Ok, thank you for clarification, I forgot about QoS. So, basically when you are paying for VoLTE, you are paying for a QoS channel?
Sep 5, 2016
205 posts
61 upvotes
Ok, in theory wise, there may be dictatorship by a phone provider on top to provide QSS service to specific server for VoLTE so they give that priority to their servers only. But end user/ application can easily control the data priority for them self also.

Meaning like normal priority scale if we assume 1 to 10

1 is top priority & 10 is least. This time provider give 1 priority to there VoLTE server else every thing is may be 5. If enduser on mobile phone side able to change these priority on there side like make all application priority 1 & VOIP.ms server priority 5. So connection between Voip.ms server have more authority which fulfilling VoLTE requirement. So Roger on top level not did anything on lower level user control everything.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2017
286 posts
107 upvotes
chimp wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 10:53 pm
yup, mostly whatsapp nowadays and only a few cases that still call landlines :-)
Ya, for those that care -

US/Canada calling without credits and free with ads - textnow (lots of ads - $40/year to remove), and talkatone ($13.99 to remove ads lifetime)

Canada wide calling - Fongo (ads removed for 6.99 - lifetime), listen (no ads)

Canada/US calling with no ads (outgoing only) - hangouts

US, Canada, Australia, NZ, UK, France, Germany calling for free, free international text, end to end encryption, no ads - Sudo

Hope this helps anyone looking around
222 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1115 posts
334 upvotes
Quebec
So everyone here who's on Data only is super happy with their setup? Call quality is fine, and SMS can be sent/received without delay and/or loss of information?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2012 posts
885 upvotes
Balzard wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 9:30 pm
So everyone here who's on Data only is super happy with their setup? Call quality is fine, and SMS can be sent/received without delay and/or loss of information?
Have been using it for a few months now since the summer. No issues. My setup: Hangouts+GV+voipms forwarded to GV. I try to use the GV number whenever possible, giving the voipms only as a last resort to those who have no US texting or calling.

Some services will not accept neither the GV nor the voipms number to send verification codes, but it's very rare (I only know of one) usually at least one of the two numbers will work.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1115 posts
334 upvotes
Quebec
Regarding Google Voice, if I were to get a number, that number would be the one people would use to reach me and/or send me SMS? Are both outbound and inbound calls free with GV?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10552 posts
3360 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Balzard wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:14 pm
Regarding Google Voice, if I were to get a number, that number would be the one people would use to reach me and/or send me SMS?
Yes. It would be a US number. (Officially GV isn't available in Canada.) That's not as big an issue as it was some years ago because most people can call NA-wide for free or a cent or two a minute. (Back in day it could cost $1 or more a minute for LD even within Canada.)
Are both outbound and inbound calls free with GV?
Yes within NA. For overseas there's a nominal cost. You can fund it using your Google Play account balance.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 28, 2013
88 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
So whats the best/simplest option for sending/recieving calls and texts on my current phone number on an android phone?

Been reading people using hangouts + voip.ms + google voice, sounds pretty complicated. Just want to make the occasional call and text. Also don't want to deal with telling people new phone numbers.

Is voip.ms good enough on its own?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1115 posts
334 upvotes
Quebec
If I understand correctly, the number assigned to the Fido sim must never be used, unless it's an emergency. I rather need to get another number -- either a Google Voice or a voip.ms DID -- and use that number for everything. I could also choose to port my current cell number to voip.ms, but then I would still need to get a second DID, and forward all calls made to my former cell number to that new DID, which would be linked with whatever app I would choose to make calls or send SMS. Is that correct?
Sep 6, 2011
154 posts
101 upvotes
gabe3366 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:02 pm
So whats the best/simplest option for sending/recieving calls and texts on my current phone number on an android phone?

Been reading people using hangouts + voip.ms + google voice, sounds pretty complicated. Just want to make the occasional call and text. Also don't want to deal with telling people new phone numbers.

Balzard wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:04 pm
If I understand correctly, the number assigned to the Fido sim must never be used, unless it's an emergency. I rather need to get another number -- either a Google Voice or a voip.ms DID -- and use that number for everything. I could also choose to port my current cell number to voip.ms, but then I would still need to get a second DID, and forward all calls made to my former cell number to that new DID, which would be linked with whatever app I would choose to make calls or send SMS. Is that correct?
If this sounds too complicated for you. Stick with your talk and text plan and use this data only plan as an addition in your dual SIM phone (if you don't have a dual SIM phone, the obviously solution is to get one).

There's enough information on VOIP platforms buried in this 166 page thread, read them!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2012 posts
885 upvotes
gabe3366 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:02 pm

No, voip.ms on its own is not enough, there is no official app. There are many 3rd party apps but they are not as good as Hangouts. The simplest option is Fongo, you can port your number to it and use it out of the box. But it's not as good as Hangouts. If you want 100% same quality as your voice plan and no impact on your battery you really have two options:
1) Hangouts + GV + voip.ms
2) Dual-SIM phone with some prepaid voice plan

But Fongo is free, you can download it and play with it for a few days to decide if it fits your needs or not before porting your number. At the end of the day even if it is not the best it may be good enough.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2012 posts
885 upvotes
Balzard wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:04 pm
The Fido data SIM number must never be used and your best bet is to ask them to block all calls+texts on this number to avoid any unexpected charges in case you lose your phone.

You don't need a second DID with voip.ms, you can use your ported number for everything. But the problem is there is no voice app for it. Some Android phones have "Internet Calling" support in the Phone app and you can configure your voip.ms account there, but what do you do for incoming calls? You can make the Phone app (or any 3rd party SIP app) stay connected to Voip.ms but then what happens to your battery life? Then there are some 3rd-party (paid) apps which support Push notifications so they don't need to keep a connection to voip.ms at all times, but will they be able to re-connect fast enough when someone calls you? At the end of the day if you do get everything setup correctly, what happens if you are at home/at work on WiFi and you leave its range while on a call? From my experience Hangouts is the only answer to all the questions above.
Oct 19, 2011
381 posts
88 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:52 am
The Fido data SIM number must never be used and your best bet is to ask them to block all calls+texts on this number to avoid any unexpected charges in case you lose your phone.

You don't need a second DID with voip.ms, you can use your ported number for everything. But the problem is there is no voice app for it. Some Android phones have "Internet Calling" support in the Phone app and you can configure your voip.ms account there, but what do you do for incoming calls? You can make the Phone app (or any 3rd party SIP app) stay connected to Voip.ms but then what happens to your battery life? Then there are some 3rd-party (paid) apps which support Push notifications so they don't need to keep a connection to voip.ms at all times, but will they be able to re-connect fast enough when someone calls you? At the end of the day if you do get everything setup correctly, what happens if you are at home/at work on WiFi and you leave its range while on a call? From my experience Hangouts is the only answer to all the questions above.
i just ported my old number to Fongo and use that for recieving calls/texts, and call via Hangouts. also i have the SIM in my tablet so noone can call that number.
Nov 12, 2017
4 posts
Anybody just using this 3gb plan with TextNow? I'm sure I could figure out the whole GV + VoIP but the less complicated the better for my husband. He wants something simple but still has to make calls for work. So far I've been testing it with texts and they seem to go over just fine.

It would be nice to get off our shared plan of 2gb with Telus($160/month) for 3gb each at a way lower price lol