Cell Phones

[WIP] Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1323 posts
295 upvotes
Atmymercy wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 6:41 am
Anybody just using this 3gb plan with TextNow? I'm sure I could figure out the whole GV + VoIP but the less complicated the better for my husband. He wants something simple but still has to make calls for work. So far I've been testing it with texts and they seem to go over just fine.

It would be nice to get off our shared plan of 2gb with Telus($160/month) for 3gb each at a way lower price lol
If you want things to be simple, go with the Fongo app. You can call and receive calls for free and use the same number for texting. Receiving texts is free, there's a charge to send texts but it's just $10 for unlimited texting for 6 months.
Current Favorites: Fido $15/3GB & My Mall Box
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10552 posts
3360 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Atmymercy wrote:
Anybody just using this 3gb plan with TextNow? I'm sure I could figure out the whole GV + VoIP but the less complicated the better for my husband. He wants something simple but still has to make calls for work. So far I've been testing it with texts and they seem to go over just fine.
I use Fongo to make free calls. TextNow charges for calls so I don't use it for that.

I use TextNow to send texts. Fongo charges for them so I don't use it for that.

I don't use either much because I don't make many calls/texts. However you have to use them every 3 months in order to keep the free accounts active.

I also use Google Voice and related apps to make calls/texts within NA. It's more reliable for me than Fongo and TextNow. It's a bit more work to set up. Once set up IMO it's actually easier to use than Fongo/TextNow if for no other reason than it does everything using a single number.

Call quality seems to be dependent to some extent on the make/model of phone you use. I would suggest you set up accounts with all three and try them out, then decide which you prefer. It's all free except for your time.

It would be nice to get off our shared plan of 2gb with Telus($160/month) for 3gb each at a way lower price lol
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 12, 2017
4 posts
bylo wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:18 am
I use Fongo to make free calls. TextNow charges for calls so I don't use it for that.

I use TextNow to send texts. Fongo charges for them so I don't use it for that.

I don't use either much because I don't make many calls/texts. However you have to use them every 3 months in order to keep the free accounts active.

I also use Google Voice and related apps to make calls/texts within NA. It's more reliable for me than Fongo and TextNow. It's a bit more work to set up. Once set up IMO it's actually easier to use than Fongo/TextNow if for no other reason than it does everything using a single number.

Call quality seems to be dependent to some extent on the make/model of phone you use. I would suggest you set up accounts with all three and try them out, then decide which you prefer. It's all free except for your time.

It says calls are free on TextNow, unless you're referring to international calls.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10552 posts
3360 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Atmymercy wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:44 am
It says calls are free on TextNow, unless you're referring to international calls.
Hmmm... I seem to recall that wasn't always the case, hence the use of Fongo to make calls and TextNow for texts only. If I'm wrong then thanks for pointing it out. My apologies.

One other advantage of Fongo over TextNow is that Fongo lets you port in a phone number (for $25) whereas TextNow does not offer porting (or didn't when I asked them a year or two ago.)

In any case, I encourage people to try out Fongo, TextNow and Google Voice, then use the one(s) that works best for them.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 17, 2014
537 posts
154 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Balzard wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:04 pm
I could also choose to port my current cell number to voip.ms, but then I would still need to get a second DID, and forward all calls made to my former cell number to that new DID, Is that correct?
No the only purpose of forwarding your calls from your current # is to send to GV. No second extra DiD required.
Sep 13, 2008
348 posts
61 upvotes
Atmymercy wrote:

My wife uses TextNow for calling and texting, and it has been amazing. Completely free to US & Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2586 posts
686 upvotes
Halifax
Atmymercy wrote:

I use it with textnow, but the incoming calls are not always reliable. Though for $40 a year, you could forward to any Canada or US number, which was handy with my US Google Voice account. The texting good enough though.

Personally, I would get this data plan for your smart phone, and get a flip phone, and use the $20 Public mobile province wide unlimited calling plan. You cover all the bases, and you are paying less than $40 for something better than you had before. Mind you, The VOIP solutions are good enough 99% of the time.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4784 posts
118 upvotes
@bridonca @proplayer44 Just wondering, is the easiest way to get a GV number to just buy an empty sim from anywhere in the states, then activate it?

Btw FYI to everyone else: I tried adding a US number on voip.ms to verify GV number, but google somehow doesn't allow that.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10552 posts
3360 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:47 pm
I tried adding a US number on voip.ms to verify GV number, but google somehow doesn't allow that.
Several years ago I used a GrooVe IP number. I have no idea if Google has since closed that loophole.

Incidentally my Groove IP number has an easy to remember format xxx-yyy-zz00. Anyone know if it's possible to port that number to Google Voice? Do I have to be in the US to do it?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2603 posts
427 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:47 pm
@bridonca @proplayer44 Just wondering, is the easiest way to get a GV number to just buy an empty sim from anywhere in the states, then activate it?
Btw FYI to everyone else: I tried adding a US number on voip.ms to verify GV number, but google somehow doesn't allow that.
I recall from one of these many RFD threads that Google Voice will not allow any voip number for GV verification. They require a real cell or landline number.

AND it has been said that GV now also records what numbers are used for verification and a number can only be used once but this i don't have too much information on.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4784 posts
118 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:25 pm
I recall from one of these many RFD threads that Google Voice will not allow any voip number for GV verification. They require a real cell or landline number.

AND it has been said that GV now also records what numbers are used for verification and a number can only be used once but this i don't have too much information on.
Would that mean that if I get a sim to activate and then lose the sim (or it deactivates), I might lose my GV number?
Jan 10, 2017
315 posts
98 upvotes
GTA
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:56 pm
Would that mean that if I get a sim to activate and then lose the sim (or it deactivates), I might lose my GV number?
If someone registers with that number to a google account yes.
You google account will keep the number until someone else registers with that number, then Google assumes you no longer have that number and revokes that number assigned to you.
Last edited by MadCanadian on Nov 13th, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4784 posts
118 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 3:13 pm
If someone registers with that number to a google account yes.
You google account will keep the number until someone else registers with that number, then Google assumes you no longer have that number and provokes that number assigned to you.
What would be the best way to get a US number? Get a prepaid sim, activate and never use the remaining balance?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10552 posts
3360 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 3:59 pm
What would be the best way to get a US number? Get a prepaid sim, activate and never use the remaining balance?
Based on MadCanadian's response this would be risky. Once the prepaid SIM expires you'll lose the number. Carriers recycle expired numbers so if the new assignee uses it to get their own GV account yours could be deactivated.

FWIW that strikes me as a lousy policy by Google. People change phone numbers, terminate lines, etc. routinely--perhaps even because they want to use GV as their exclusive phone number. Surely GV must give a warning before deactivating an account and offer some option to keep it in force. Losing GV, especially suddenly without warning could also lead to dangerous situations like the inability to call for help in an emergency.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2603 posts
427 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
bylo wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:16 pm
Based on MadCanadian's response this would be risky. Once the prepaid SIM expires you'll lose the number. Carriers recycle expired numbers so if the new assignee uses it to get their own GV account yours could be deactivated.

FWIW that strikes me as a lousy policy by Google. People change phone numbers, terminate lines, etc. routinely--perhaps even because they want to use GV as their exclusive phone number. Surely GV must give a warning before deactivating an account and offer some option to keep it in force. Losing GV, especially suddenly without warning could also lead to dangerous situations like the inability to call for help in an emergency.
No. The verification number is not tied in any meaningful way to your account. As soon as you have verified and have access to your gvoice account settings the first thing you do is delete that verification number. Think if it just as a temporary number you forwarded your gvoice to. Once you delete or change it, it's not remembered anymore.

You can then add any additional valid USA numbers for gvoice to forward to. Or leave it blank which is all us Canadians can do.
Last edited by Kevinck on Nov 13th, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.