Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Wireless backup camera $50

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2010 6:21 pm
Tags:
None
28 replies
Nov 24, 2009
641 posts
101 upvotes
Fergus, ON
FYI:
If it weren't for electricity, we would all be surfing RFD by candlelight.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5680 posts
3098 upvotes
Vancouver
any drilling necessary ?
Mar 15, 2004
976 posts
311 upvotes
hesp wrote: any drilling necessary ?
This should be able to attach to the 2 screw that holds your license plate on your car.

so this is not a wireless setup as it is powered by the car both that camera and the unit. So how to you get power to the camera???
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
Power is through the backup lamps. Of course, you can cheat and use the license illumination bulbs... ;)
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Aug 9, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
rf134a wrote: Power is through the backup lamps. Of course, you can cheat and use the license illumination bulbs... ;)
Much better idea; just put an on/off switch under the dash. I feel that all backup cameras should be active during the whole backing up process, which includes every time you move forward to reposition.

And it'd also be good to jot down licence plates of tailgaters. I wonder if there's a video-out so you can record from it? Like send it into the line-in of a camcorder or MP3 player-cum-video-cam (although probably none have line-ins anyway, right).

BTW rf134a, who is that girl in your avatar?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Atom Bomb wrote: anyone know how good these actually are?
I'm going to guess crappy. I've always felt that backup cameras were totally useless inventions. My car has "parking sensors" around the back, front and sides and I find that a way better solution for getting into tight spaces without worry. That being said, if you can't park for the life of you and don't have such a feature on your car I guess this kind of thing is the next best thing.
Dec 17, 2005
136 posts
15 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I'm going to guess crappy. I've always felt that backup cameras were totally useless inventions. My car has "parking sensors" around the back, front and sides and I find that a way better solution for getting into tight spaces without worry. That being said, if you can't park for the life of you and don't have such a feature on your car I guess this kind of thing is the next best thing.
I am interested in one for my trailer.....the end of which is 27 feet or so behind my rear bumper. :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4612 posts
9046 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
I'd buy this in a heartbeat.... except that it's from Xscargo :(

this could be a refurb and anyways, their return policy is terrible.
Oct 11, 2004
816 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
Can you order online with these guys? Or do they only have in store?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1082 posts
255 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I'm going to guess crappy. I've always felt that backup cameras were totally useless inventions. My car has "parking sensors" around the back, front and sides and I find that a way better solution for getting into tight spaces without worry. That being said, if you can't park for the life of you and don't have such a feature on your car I guess this kind of thing is the next best thing.
Bought one at CT for the same price about a year ago. Same model as XS cargo has. Installs easily, not drilling, use the power from the back up light. Problem is the interference you receive. I believe its on the cordless phone frequency (2.4) so it works intermittently. Also will randomly pick up feeds as you drive around town. Good thing though, is it can be hardwired (from camera to unit) using a 3.5mm cable if i remember correctly. Kind of defeats the purpose of being wireless but does make for better feeds. My wife ended up just tossing it into the glovebox after awhile.
Feb 24, 2010
942 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
canadiantj wrote: Problem is the interference you receive. I believe its on the cordless phone frequency (2.4) so it works intermittently. Also will randomly pick up feeds as you drive around town.
Is the signal really that strong?
Aug 29, 2005
137 posts
34 upvotes
Can't speak for this particular model but my car came with a backup camera and I think it's a great feature. When I take my car in for service and get a loaner I have trouble backing into a parking spot. Can't judge the back distance like I used to. I may never be able to purchase a car without this feature :D
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
squigly1 wrote: Can't speak for this particular model but my car came with a backup camera and I think it's a great feature. When I take my car in for service and get a loaner I have trouble backing into a parking spot. Can't judge the back distance like I used to. I may never be able to purchase a car without this feature :D
+1000 lol....love this feature on my car
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Engi-Nir wrote: +1000 lol....love this feature on my car
LOL...that's all we need. Yet another Engineer who can't do simple number crunching without a foreign devices' assistance :lol: . You pull out a calculator for basic math still? :D

Zing! :o
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2004
1420 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
canadiantj wrote: ... Problem is the interference you receive. I believe its on the cordless phone frequency (2.4) so it works intermittently. Also will randomly pick up feeds as you drive around town. ...
Just a thought, but I suspect that you probably just need a power filter. Sort of like the ones that are used for car radios to reduce feedback from the power cycling. With a wireless system I can definitely see the signal being affected by this.

If you're in Toronto, you can pickup a 12v filter for about $5 at Active Surplus on Queen St., west of Spadina.
Apr 7, 2005
225 posts
42 upvotes
What kind of power plugs do these types of things usually come with? Is there a picture or connector name I can search for?