Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York

wireless code of conduct finalized.

here it is..

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2ir59fq.png[/IMG]

- Roaming data - data is cut off once you hit $100 of overage unless you agree to pay additional charges (in other words once you hit a 100 dollar cap. they must call or ask you via text or sms if you want to continue to be billed.)
- Domestic data - data is cut off at $50 overage unless you agree to pay additional charges (in other words once you hit a 50 dollar cap. they must call or ask you via text or sms if you want to continue to be billed.)
- Unlocking - you can get your device unlocked after 90 days at Bell's rate. (there is no flat price set yet. i think it will vary from device.)
- Repairs - no monthly charges while your device is under warranty repair. (this means if you send your device in for repair or swap. from the time the ticket has been opened and acknowledged your service will be suspended and you will not incur any charges until you have a suitable replacement available)
- Early termination fees - Cancellation fee cannot exceed value of device subsidy. Each month, the device cost/(number of months of contract up to 24 months) is taken off the remainder of your subsidy balance. (this is pretty straight forward.)
- Cancellation - When you want to cancel it happens IMMEDIATELY. No more 30 days notice BS. Now we need a cable and telephone service code of conduct. (once you say cancel. service goes kaput. no more 30 day notice.)
- End of contract - The contract continues on the same terms after expiry. They have to notify you 30 days before the end of term. (once your contract expires and you move to month to month. your rate plan and terms will stay the same. no more peekaboo plan changes. if the carrier wishes to change anything they have to notify you before hand and at least 30 days before your contract end date.)
- It looks like larger business accounts are excluded from the rules. (any business accounts that do more then 2.5k per month are excluded.)
10 replies
May 31, 2013
212 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
The 30 day notice is going to benefit but hurt us too. i mean we all pay ahead (1month ahead for cell phone bills) thats why our first bill is high because we pay ahead. we also lose leverage because we wont get wind back calls.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
damn..This should have been done a loooong time ago.

"Can you hear me now...?"

:twisted:
Jan 13, 2013
243 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't know how it works for Bell and Rogers but TELUS and Koodo bills are due 3-7 days before the next month's billing cycle start date, so I don't really pay for 1 month in advance, maximum for a week in advance and if you cancel your service, you can just call and ask to receive refund/credits on your account/CC quoting the code.
When you port out a number from WIND, your line gets cancelled at that date and your next bill credits you back automatically. I had a bill for -$16 once. Their systems will need to work this way.
robertgriffin1996 wrote: The 30 day notice is going to benefit but hurt us too. i mean we all pay ahead (1month ahead for cell phone bills) thats why our first bill is high because we pay ahead. we also lose leverage because we wont get wind back calls.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20460 upvotes
Time for revision 2. There needs to be rules on having monthly plans without hardware. This 10% off for BYOD doesn't cut it. Applying the hardware subsidy in reverse to reduce monthly plan price is a good starting point for discussion. It is unacceptable for Robellus to arbitrarily add more hardware subsidy into the new 2 year price plans.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
will888 wrote: Time for revision 2. There needs to be rules on having monthly plans without hardware. This 10% off for BYOD doesn't cut it. Applying the hardware subsidy in reverse to reduce monthly plan price is a good starting point for discussion. It is unacceptable for Robellus to arbitrarily add more hardware subsidy into the new 2 year price plans.
The WCOC does not cover pricing, simply adds protection for consumers -- we still do live in a free-market economy.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20460 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: The WCOC does not cover pricing, simply adds protection for consumers -- we still do live in a free-market economy.
Understood. The whole point of these rules is because an oligopoly market is not effective. How is it really different to force carriers to offer plans no longer than 2 years vs. requiring them to offer plans that are truly void of hardware subsidies? Over time, I sense the general population will be less happy than they are now. Most people won't analyse the details, they will just draw a simple conclusion that the big 3 are gouging consumers with this huge price spike. They will look at the CRTC and think they are an enabler to the price gouging.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
I am so tempted to put this on the wall of my office and pass it around to every person at my place.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Never really had any issues with what OP posted but I do agree this should have been done a long time ago.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)