Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA

Wireless N adapter

I'm looking for a PCI 802.11n adapter that does both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

These seem to be really rare.

So far I've tried:
- Linksys WMP600N : for whatever reason the speeds fluctuate on this card in my computer (i have two of these in two computers)
- TP Link TL-WN851ND : this one doesn't do 5Ghz but overall seems to work better than the Linksys.

Questions/Concerns:
I'm not even sure if I need 5Ghz at this point but seeing my router supports it, I'd like to be able to use it.
I'm also not sure if I need a PCI card. There seems to be more choices with USB and more flexibility with antenna placement with USB (usb extension cord) but seems to be consensus that USB is not as powerful.

What are you guys using?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
actng wrote: I'm looking for a PCI 802.11n adapter that does both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

These seem to be really rare.

So far I've tried:
- Linksys WMP600N : for whatever reason the speeds fluctuate on this card in my computer (i have two of these in two computers)
- TP Link TL-WN851ND : this one doesn't do 5Ghz but overall seems to work better than the Linksys.

Questions/Concerns:
I'm not even sure if I need 5Ghz at this point but seeing my router supports it, I'd like to be able to use it.
I'm also not sure if I need a PCI card. There seems to be more choices with USB and more flexibility with antenna placement with USB (usb extension cord) but seems to be consensus that USB is not as powerful.

What are you guys using?
If you are desperate for speed, or have interference issues, because there are too many routers in your area, then 5 ghz makes sense. Most people are fine with 2.4 ghz, because though not fast, it is convenient, and it is "good enough".

From a practical sense, PCI cards suck, because that a big metal box works in blocking al lot of the signal. As for power, it is a non issue. If you have poor antenna placement, more power will only go so far, and will usually cause more problems than it will solve. With the right antenna, you could transmit that weak signal for miles, if so desired.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
condo flooded with neighbour signals

so USB is ok to try?