• May 28th, 2010 6:53 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 4, 2008
457 posts
13 upvotes
Hamilton

Wireless Printing on Tomato Router

I just recently purchased an Asus RT-N16 wireless router and it has 2 USB ports. Using the default firmware I had a lot of trouble printing documents. It would take several minutes to print one page at a time. So I switched to Tomato with a USB mod made by Teddy Bear.

I have an HP 1020 printer and I can get everything set up okay and print pages after set up without a problem. When I restart my computer, my printer now becomes unavailable and I need to reinstall the printer. Is there any way to avoid this? I am currently running windows 7 Pro x64.

Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3094 posts
108 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Basic question but it needs to be out of the way, does Windows 7 know its a network printer?

As in does it show up in the devices/printer as:

//networkaddress/router/printer

or whatever the network address is.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2008
457 posts
13 upvotes
Hamilton
hmm I'm not too sure what you mean so maybe this will help.

When I go to devices and printers it falls underneath printers and faxes. and its translucent I added the printer by using TCP/IP and set it to my router's IP and Port 9100. It would not find it at first and windows continued to another window where it allowed me to add a custom settings and I set it to RAW and port 9100 and router's IP address (192.186.1.1).

My printer does not show up anywhere underneath my network.

Is there a different process to install the printer. I'm a little new to networking and not entirely sure what I should be doing. I know I have a hard drive plugged into my router and file sharing is easy with multiple computers and after I restart.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
your doing it correctly... possibly because you're not logged in as super admin while you are making the changes??
[OP]
Jul 4, 2008
457 posts
13 upvotes
Hamilton
no luck wit the super admin. Is there a guide out there that indicates the correct router settings and how to install a printer on Windows (preferably 7). I've spent some time searching for one with no luck.

I figure if I start from scratch I might have a better idea of what is going on.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2008
457 posts
13 upvotes
Hamilton
OK I think I found a solution to my problem. The drivers need to be loaded on to my JFFS partition. Not sure what this means but I have the JFFS partition active and now I need to use the script found here: http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showt ... 85&page=11 (posts 3-4)

Can someone explain what I'm supposed to be doing here in simpler terms? Where does that script go exactly? Does it go under USB/NAS > Hot plug script I got my printer ID from here: http://thezerox.wordpress.com/2009/05/2 ... -500gp-v2/.

I just don't really understand the language/objective properly.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2008
457 posts
13 upvotes
Hamilton
Looks like my problem has been resolved so I'll just post what I did here for future reference.

I used this guide to install the printer driver to my router:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showp ... count=1325

Followed all the instructions except downloaded the HP 1020 driver instead of the 1018. Changed the product ID to my printer instead of the one given in the script and told it to load the HP1020 driver from JFFS.

This all worked fine, whenever I rebooted my router the printer would also reconnect to the router and go through its start up process (just like when you would unplug it and plug it back into a USB port.

In order to get windows to say my printer is online after restarting i had to install it as a Super Admin.

Thanks for the help crowTrobot and mcplar.
× < >