Shopping Discussion

Wireless Providers Still Trying to Sneak In Fees (FIDO)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 11:40 am
[OP]
Jul 6, 2016
11 posts
5 upvotes

Wireless Providers Still Trying to Sneak In Fees (FIDO)

Hopefully this fits in with "Shopping Discussion"

In December '18 my 2 year tablet plan came to an end with Fido, but they had a similar free tablet offer and 3GB for $15 a month so I called in to go for another 2 years and was offered the Huawei media pad 10 for $0. I had tried to do it online, but their website frequently does not work well.

The PDF's sent to me right after the phone conversation with the Fido agent stated $15/ month and under "One Time Fees" it simply said "test" - maybe a mistake by the agent? But either way no fees listed.

So I receive my first bill and its $68.xx and sure enough there's a $35 "hardware upgrade fee". I double check my emails and contract from fido and the fee is not listed anywhere in those docs. So I go on their chat service and the agents response to the above info is "I can understand but these are the valid charges."

I tell him I'm not going to pay a fee I didn't agree to and that isn't on any of the documents (+ it says nothing under one time fees). I also offer to send him the PDF"s. His response makes me aware of something awesome:
"Thank you for your patience Mike .I looked deeper into your account I apologize if the agent did not make you aware of $35 transaction fee. but this is an automatic fee applied to all activations and upgrades .I understand that you were not aware of itr. but this is a valid charge . there is nothing I can do .there is one more thing I come to know while I was looking into your account That tablet cost was $329 at no term and our back office team gave you a credit of $329 as well.that means you got the tablet for free at no term . If you still want me to send a request for a credit on the $35 transaction fee I can do that but only if you returning the tablet. in 15 days satisfaction period ."

So the phone agent accidentally put me down for no term, and I confirmed on my account page that after one month my device balance is $0.

So I responded: or I just pay the $60 bill and walk away with a $329 tablet because now it looks like the agent screwed that up? and cancel my plan?

Looks like I'm either getting a heavily discounted tablet or fido is going to have to bill me properly and own up to a mistake. I was happy for the first 2 years with them. It's amazing what the wireless providers get away with in Canada and their billing systems are still terrible and unclear. Shopping for a tablet or phone plan still sucks in Canada and the providers are able to get away with adding on fees that aren't agreed to when you first make contact with them. It's why I'd never agree to automatic billing with any phone company.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.08.39 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.09.17 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.09.38 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.14.21 PM.png
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I thought it was common knowledge that there is a $35 activation charge.

If you cancel, they will send you an invoice for $329 + HST
[OP]
Jul 6, 2016
11 posts
5 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:19 pm
I thought it was common knowledge that there is a $35 activation charge.

If you cancel, they will send you an invoice for $329 + HST
The device balance is $0 and there is no term, so I don't think they could. Also, common knowledge isn't good enough, they need to state charges in a contract as per the CRTC.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5422 posts
3288 upvotes
If they did not inform you of the $35 charge beforehand, file a CCTS complaint. Depending on your negotiation skills, you could get more than $35 back.

If they don’t resolve your issue the first time you contact customer service, the next thing you do is file a CCTS complaint. Don’t escalate it through customer service. Don’t wait for a manager to call back or any other BS similar to that.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1261 posts
291 upvotes
Edmonton
If you buy it online, $0 activation fee.

If you get a rep to activate it, $35 activation fee.

Simple as that.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30497 posts
5037 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fz8mike wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:30 pm
The device balance is $0 and there is no term, so I don't think they could. Also, common knowledge isn't good enough, they need to state charges in a contract as per the CRTC.
You can argue the $35 fee and they will probably refund it eventually for good will

... but good luck trying to cancel and not paying for the tablet. Regardless of what the device balance is.
Jul 8, 2009
645 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
fz8mike wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:12 pm
"I can understand but these are the valid charges."
Correct response: These charges were not in the agreement, so no, they are not valid.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2016
11 posts
5 upvotes
tablo13 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:50 pm
If you buy it online, $0 activation fee.

If you get a rep to activate it, $35 activation fee.

Simple as that.
I feel like this is the attitude that's lead to such crazy pricing in Canada. It's not as simple as that, the providers have an obligation to include fees in the discussion during activation and clearly on the written contracts.
I can't come up with a contract with another party and then refer them to my website's fine print when I sneak in an extra cost, so neither should Fido or Rogers be able to do so.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11673 posts
1385 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If they didn't send you a Fido Device Financing Agreement PDF, I would say that the tablet is in the clear.

edit// Mind you, maybe my situation was different. I signed up for a new tablet plan. The two year term was for financing the device (ie. I can cancel anytime, but would have to pay off the balance of the tablet).

Maybe someone who has been in the same situation as you can chime in.

edit2// Man, that tablet sucks. 1280x800. I don't even know if I would pay the $60 bill for it. I would return it and get something else, like the LG G Pad IV. Only 8", but at least it is 1920x1200.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1912 posts
758 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Escalate.
This space for rent.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2016
11 posts
5 upvotes
TheImp wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:49 am
Escalate.
Sent an email to the CRTC with copies of the PDF's sent to me after the phone conversation and the first bill I was sent. Also emailed Fido's customer service department to see if they want to resolve this properly first.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4524 posts
1401 upvotes
Debtario
CCTS complaint is the way to go, fees should be listed upfront not hidden or implied.
hvwozq wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:50 am
I activated a Bell line recently. The rep didn’t even mention the $35 activation fee. It turns out she waived it. I got the bill. It was truly waived. Who would have expected that from Bhell?
They WILL get you back in other ways, just you wait and see.

"MUAHAHAHAHA" -Bell
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"