• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2011 8:42 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 29, 2005
993 posts
44 upvotes

Wireless Router w/ WiFi "on/off" button

Looking to get a new Wireless router that has a WiFi on/off button so that the signals aren't bouncing around my house all day & night long. Looking to spend around $50.

I was considering the Netgear WNR2000: (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/net ... bfa63fen02). Does anyone have any opinions on this unit? Any other recommendations in this price range?

I really only use Wifi for surfing, email, Youtube, Flickr, etc. No gaming or movies.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9689 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Don't know of any with a hard switch, but I think it is pretty common to be able to disable WiFi via the web interface. Maybe not as convenient, but it may also be handier, depending on how easy it is to physically access the router.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 8:04 am
Don't know of any with a hard switch, but I think it is pretty common to be able to disable WiFi via the web interface. Maybe not as convenient, but it may also be handier, depending on how easy it is to physically access the router.

most third party firmware's allow you to re-assign the easy setup button on the front of routers that have this button.
i know openwrt and tomato have it. i am pretty sure ddwrt has it too.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7514 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Traian2003 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 7:39 pm

You enjoy your increased radiation. But there is a reason why wireless is not used in schools with children as there are concerns about it as it can effect people differently.
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
Jun 30, 2009
443 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
infamouskid wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 8:32 am
most third party firmware's allow you to re-assign the easy setup button on the front of routers that have this button.
i know openwrt and tomato have it. i am pretty sure ddwrt has it too.

Do you know how to do that with TomatoUSB on an Asus 520GU? I'd love that quick option, but Google has let me down :( .
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7794 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
dchimera wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 9:01 pm
Do you know how to do that with TomatoUSB on an Asus 520GU? I'd love that quick option, but Google has let me down :( .

Check under Administration -> Buttons, see if theres anything there. I use wrt54g, so don't know if the interface is same as yours but I can set my SES/AOSS button to turn off the wifi when I hold it down for 2-3second or something like that.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2690 posts
224 upvotes
GTA
With Tomato firmware, you can also use Access Restrictions to automatically disable wireless at scheduled times of the day.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2638 upvotes
Vancouver
There should be a WiFi on/off button on all wireless routers, not because of any health concern (ridiculous), but for two other very good reasons:

1. Security: the easiest security measure for WiFi is to physically turn it off when you don't need it

2. Courtesy: the 2.4 GHz spectrum is crowded enough without people leaving their WiFi on unnecessarily just because it's too much trouble to turn it off.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 8:39 pm
You enjoy your increased radiation. But there is a reason why wireless is not used in schools with children as there are concerns about it as it can effect people differently.

Wireless is used in all kinds of schools. Do you live in the '50s?

Your house and everything else on this planet is bombarded by electromagnetic radioation, neutrinos, and gamma rays that are way more powerful than any Wifi signal, 24/7/365. Just because man has learned to tune radio waves to carry information, does not mean they are any more dangerous than when they were bouncing around with random noise.
JamesA1 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 10:24 pm
There should be a WiFi on/off button on all wireless routers, not because of any health concern (ridiculous), but for two other very good reasons:

1. Security: the easiest security measure for WiFi is to physically turn it off when you don't need it

2. Courtesy: the 2.4 GHz spectrum is crowded enough without people leaving their WiFi on unnecessarily just because it's too much trouble to turn it off.

This makes sense kind of I guess... but makes things quite impractical.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7514 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
brunes wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 11:18 pm
Wireless is used in all kinds of schools. Do you live in the '50s?

Your house and everything else on this planet is bombarded by electromagnetic radioation, neutrinos, and gamma rays that are way more powerful than any Wifi signal, 24/7/365. Just because man has learned to tune radio waves to carry information, does not mean they are any more dangerous than when they were bouncing around with random noise.

This makes sense kind of I guess... but makes things quite impractical.
I'm pretty sure I said Children, ie elementary schools if you did not know. I realize there is wireless in colleges and probably some highschools. But again children are more sensitive to things like this.

Either way I'm not going to bother to argue no point. The internet is massive I'm sure if you looked it up you could find data that would say its not safe.
Maximum Repair
Computer & Cell Phone Repair
PM me for more info
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10672 posts
1673 upvotes
Toronto
Turning off the wifi is a bit of a hopeless effort. There are so many routers running around you, how do you ask the neighbors to kindly turn off their routers well. I live in a house and one of my neighbor's signal is stronger than my router. Actually I have my power level turned down to limit how far it travels beyond the property line (security consideration).
May 18, 2008
476 posts
25 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 11:52 pm
Turning off the wifi is a bit of a hopeless effort. There are so many routers running around you, how do you ask the neighbors to kindly turn off their routers well. I live in a house and one of my neighbor's signal is stronger than my router. Actually I have my power level turned down to limit how far it travels beyond the property line (security consideration).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuclear-radiati ... _958wt_938

Problem solved.
× < >