Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
2097 posts
943 upvotes
gta

wireless usb adaptor

i currently have a dlink and at the beginning it works fine however lately, about few months ago it is very slow and gets disconnected often. i have rogers high speed internet at home and the pc i am using this dlink adaptor is very close to the router ( next room).
whats a good reliable adaptor to get for under $40

thanks
9 replies
Feb 14, 2013
174 posts
24 upvotes
[QUOTE]lately, about few months ago it is very slow and gets disconnected often. [/QUOTE]

are you sure this is due to the usb adaptor?
Sep 30, 2010
3 posts
okayvin wrote: are you sure this is due to the usb adaptor?
I am not sure. I don't know much about these things. So what u think is the cause? Windows 10 maybe
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
DealDemon wrote: i currently have a dlink and at the beginning it works fine however lately, about few months ago it is very slow and gets disconnected often. i have rogers high speed internet at home and the pc i am using this dlink adaptor is very close to the router ( next room).
whats a good reliable adaptor to get for under $40

thanks
Kind of hard to understand the exact issue. Perhaps you can describe the situation again and include tech specifics such as model number
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Are you using a desktop or notebook?

I'm assuming it is a desktop because notebooks come with wireless built in. I suggest you get a PCIe card to replace the USB

The PCIe will give you more power and better range
Oct 10, 2013
438 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why not just run a ethernet cable to the next room along the wall? 10x better than wireless.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4113 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
If other devices run fine wirelessly, it's probably the adapter. If you replace it, make sure you get something that has 5ghz compatability.
Aug 23, 2007
200 posts
110 upvotes
London
Probably overheating. You can try opening up the plastic and putting a nickel on top of the chip to help cool it.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
a wifi dropout of a modem router combo is very common.

try this leave the usb in connected and do nothing. This time only reboot the modem/router instead and see if it works and for how long before it dosconnects
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If you do want a cheap USB dongle, I bought a Realtek RTL8192CU 802.11n on AliExpress for under $10 (month to ship). It's wireless N but connects reliably at 300.

Make sure the problem is not with the router before wasting money on new gadgets, though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)