Wiring and adding a ceiling fan? electrician cost + recommendations

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2020 1:22 pm
Nov 11, 2018
217 posts
150 upvotes
London, ON

Wiring and adding a ceiling fan? electrician cost + recommendations

I'm looking to add a ceiling fan and wire it to an existing switch in a kids room.
I could have done a DIY but given my size I'm not too keen on getting into the attic and doing this.

What might an electrician charge for this? Any recommendations are also welcome, this is in Meadowvale, Mississauga
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Do you already have wire running to a light fixture that you are replacing with a fan ?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
Note: ceiling fans typically use 3 conductor wiring, black to run the light, red to run the fan, and they need a special fan switch with 2 dimmer controls, one to dim the light, and the other dimmer control is actually a fan speed switch, make sure you know this before you install the fan, running a standard 14-2 wire may not cut it, but newer fans have a remote control to turn on and off the fan/light so they dont even need a switch no more but yes they cost a lot more, its totally up to you
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Nov 11, 2018
217 posts
150 upvotes
London, ON
No, there is no wiring for the light at all. The switch in place currently controls a plug point in the room. I'd like to control the fan from the same gang box, draw wire from there and cut a hole in the ceiling to add a fan.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
then ur going to have to disconnect the outlet and let it be hot all the time instead of switched, and maybe its not even allowed as per hydro electrical code
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
GoodFellaz wrote: Note: ceiling fans typically use 3 conductor wiring, black to run the light, red to run the fan, and they need a special fan switch with 2 dimmer controls, one to dim the light, and the other dimmer control is actually a fan speed switch, make sure you know this before you install the fan, running a standard 14-2 wire may not cut it, but newer fans have a remote control to turn on and off the fan/light so they dont even need a switch no more but yes they cost a lot more, its totally up to you
Is this true for all fans. All fans in my home have the normal 2 wires+neutral wiring. The wall switch turns electricity on/off to the fan. The fan itself has two strings attached to switches inside the fan's body. One string simply turns lights on/off when pulled (no dimming), and other string turns fan on/off and sets its speed.

Edit: This is very close to the wiring I have seen in my home. The only difference is that in this diagram, the fan sits between the switch and power source. In my case, the power source and switch sit on one side.

fan wiring.JPG
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
IndyBeak wrote: Is this true for all fans. All fans in my home have the normal 2 wires+neutral wiring. The wall switch turns electricity on/off to the fan. The fan itself has two strings attached to switches inside the fan's body. One string simply turns lights on/off when pulled (no dimming), and other string turns fan on/off and sets its speed.

Edit: This is very close to the wiring I have seen in my home. The only difference is that in this diagram, the fan sits between the switch and power source. In my case, the power source and switch sit on one side.

fan wiring.JPG
No its not true for all fans. More or less many lights are replaced with fans, and just have black and white and a ground because that was all was required.. Maybe if the house was built with a ceiling fan there, it would have a dedicated extra wire for power, so the fan stays on if you turn the light off and on

Unfortunately in the replacement scenario, turning the switch off for the light also turns the fan off since it cut power off. Remotes ones work by hooking the black to the blue wire for the light. So you use the remote for everyhting and the switch stays on all the time. But the same applies, if you turn off the switch, you have no power to anything

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)