Off Topic Archive

Locked: Wisdom teeth removal after age of 30?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2010 9:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18113 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto

Wisdom teeth removal after age of 30?

Anyone here had their wisdom teeth removed over the age of 30? In particular impacted wisdom teeth (growing sideways)?

Is it true your teeth would become loose and fall off earlier if you have braces when you're over the age of 30?
Share:
14 replies
Mar 30, 2010
739 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I had my wisdom teeth removed because they were laying sideways and pushing up on my molars. ie they were causing extreme pain.

If they were not causing pain, I'd leave them alone.

It's not 'dangerous' or a health risk to leave them in, lots of people have intact impacted teeth. Just means they won't come through.

Not sure I have an answer to your second question.

Why do you think your teeth would come loose? Puzzled.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
1426 posts
250 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed at 30. The roots were all wrapped around the nerves, and it was quite a procedure for the surgeon. He had booked the operating room for 1 hour, and mine took over 4 hours. It didn't help that I'm some kind of mutant with 3 roots on each tooth instead of the usual 2, and one of my roots broke loose and he had to spend about 20 minutes trying by hand to prevent it from going into my body.

The surgeon told me that the ideal time to do them is about age 16.

On a positive note, my recovery wasn't likely any worse than the typical recovery for wisdom teeth removal.

I can't answer about the braces since I've never had them.
Dec 5, 2007
543 posts
1 upvote
NB
Chickinvic wrote:
May 4th, 2010 6:11 pm
I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed at 30. The roots were all wrapped around the nerves, and it was quite a procedure for the surgeon. He had booked the operating room for 1 hour, and mine took over 4 hours. It didn't help that I'm some kind of mutant with 3 roots on each tooth instead of the usual 2, and one of my roots broke loose and he had to spend about 20 minutes trying by hand to prevent it from going into my body.

The surgeon told me that the ideal time to do them is about age 16.

On a positive note, my recovery wasn't likely any worse than the typical recovery for wisdom teeth removal.

I can't answer about the braces since I've never had them.
Sounds exactly the same as me. Had mine out at age 32 and all's well now.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2728 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm, interesting experiences you guys have.
I also have one wisdom tooth growing in sideways. Theres still a gap between it and the molars but it could change.
Guess I should get them out. I still have a few years til I'm 30.
Nov 18, 2007
558 posts
Moncton
I had 3 wisdom teeth removed last year when I was 38...great fun!!!!
Oct 9, 2006
493 posts
45 upvotes
I had all four removed at age 37. Mine Were mostly already out. It took the surgeon literally 20 seconds to pull all four out. My recovery was one weekend.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14366 posts
1307 upvotes
Oshawa
Nevyn wrote:
May 4th, 2010 9:44 pm
I had all four removed at age 37. Mine Were mostly already out. It took the surgeon literally 20 seconds to pull all four out. My recovery was one weekend.
True RFD spirit would have been to do them yourself, and save a few bucks.
Jun 1, 2009
795 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
felix wrote:
May 4th, 2010 4:23 pm
Is it true your teeth would become loose and fall off earlier if you have braces when you're over the age of 30?
Not if you had a competent orthodontist.

If your bracing was done properly, then there would have been a natural slow gradual movement of your teeth, and the roots of your teeth should be relatively intact. It's only when your teeth are moved too fast, would cause damage to your teeth roots, leading to your teeth falling out early.

Most orthos don't do the latter, so I think/hope you should be okay.
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
5 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Had three removed when I was 48. Regular dentist did them in his office. Local freezing, popped them out. Left his office and went to the playground with the grandkids. Next day traveled out of town to a convention. Did not use anything more than a regular Tylenol. The other one I had removed when I was in my late 20's. The tooth had broke and had to be removed. Pretty much the same deal. Had a local and had it dug out by the Orthodontist in his office. Had no problems until about 5 days later when I found out I was allergic to the type of suture he used, and had to have them removed in the ER.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2009
1260 posts
315 upvotes
Mississauga
JAC wrote:
May 4th, 2010 10:19 pm
True RFD spirit would have been to do them yourself, and save a few bucks.
:lol: :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2367 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
I have sideways growing wisdom teeth as well, but it hasn't started hurting yet. Should I just wait till it starts hurting? I really hate dentists and having anything metal touch my teeth so I'm hoping I never have to go through with this.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
3874 posts
268 upvotes
Mississauga
if your wisdom isn't growing properly, you should have them removed even if it is not causing pain...

why would you want to wait till the day it starts to give you pain...

Lucky Ducky wrote:
May 4th, 2010 4:36 pm
I had my wisdom teeth removed because they were laying sideways and pushing up on my molars. ie they were causing extreme pain.

If they were not causing pain, I'd leave them alone.

It's not 'dangerous' or a health risk to leave them in, lots of people have intact impacted teeth. Just means they won't come through.

Not sure I have an answer to your second question.

Why do you think your teeth would come loose? Puzzled.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
2367 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote:
May 5th, 2010 6:38 pm
if your wisdom isn't growing properly, you should have them removed even if it is not causing pain...

why would you want to wait till the day it starts to give you pain...
I'm just hoping it never causes pain and I never have to go through with it, is that possible? lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9323 posts
687 upvotes
Brampton
Mugen123 wrote:
May 5th, 2010 7:24 pm
I'm just hoping it never causes pain and I never have to go through with it, is that possible? lol
Don't worry I'm in the same boat as you. I hate going to the dentist and it hasnt caused any pain yet. Plus I just changed jobs so I have to wait again to get insurance benefits.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 199 and counting. RFD Feedback 41-0-0 and counting.
× < >