• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2017 6:38 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2009
847 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto

Wisdom Teeth Removal Experience?

I'm getting my all my Wisdom Teeth removed tomorrow morning and am kinda nervous, I've watched some crazy videos on Youtube about how ppl are loopy after their surgery due to the anesthesia lol.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7335 posts
487 upvotes
I was not that loopy but obviously my mom drove me home. I was put under so I was not awake for the procedure. It felt like I was out for hours and slept so well but I think I was only out for like 20 min.

Afterwards, I did not sleep though, the drugs did NOT knock me out.

The blood and bleeding afterwards is gross as fawk.

Be sure to ice if you don't want to swell and look like a chipmunk.

Drink ensure, yogurt without chunky stuff in it, ice cream without hard toppings, basically NOTHING that can get stuck in your gums to infect it, I didn't no want to chance it for 4 days.

Your jaw will be sore as hell.

The blood is still gross.
Last edited by speedyforme on Mar 10th, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 8, 2009
184 posts
39 upvotes
It's not a fun experience, but nothing to really worry about. I'd say the aftermath is probably a bit worse than the actual procedure.

I remember two came out easy for me and then the other two not so much. I also remember when the dentist was yanking hard and finally got the one it went flying out of my mouth with a trail of blood and landed on my shirt.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
I had the local anisthetic. To be honest the surgery was pretty uneventful and I wasn't loopy or anything. I got mine done on a Thursday and had booked the Friday off of work. But honestly I could have worked Friday. It wasn't so bad.

Main takeaways:
- Right after, you will have so much anisthetic in your system that you could bite right through your lip and you wouldn't even feel it. Be careful!
- You are going to have some big holes in your mouth for a few weeks. Be sure to wash them thoroughly! I ended up getting a piece of ground beef stuck in one of my 'holes' and it really started to stink after a few days...
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15968 posts
1875 upvotes
BengaliPrince wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:51 pm
I'm getting my all my Wisdom Teeth removed tomorrow morning and am kinda nervous, I've watched some crazy videos on Youtube about how ppl are loopy after their surgery due to the anesthesia lol.
I remember getting hiccups from taking codeine pills. Apparently happens with some opioids.

It wasn't too bad for me - about a week of discomfort, no major pain.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
coolspot wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:13 pm
I remember getting hiccups from taking codeine pills.
Speaking of codeine, that stuff had a very strange effect on me. I had extremely realistic but very boring dreams. I would dream a whole work day in exquisite detail, but then I would get up and go to work... :facepalm:

Seriously, it was so realistic, I was reviewing my work e-mails to review what assignments I had actually received because I had difficulty differentiating between the dream and real life.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Apr 26, 2012
332 posts
11 upvotes
My experience was similar to the first poster. I was not actually awake for the procedure and I was driven home bleeding and generally feeling unwell.

I recovered pretty quickly though. They gave me Percocets in case of pain but I didn't need it.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10003 posts
942 upvotes
Markham
I had 1 removed then 3 removed later.

With the 3 I just had local freezing and nitrous oxide mask so I was still awake and could feel the whole thing. Just felt a bunch of pressure when they extracted but nothing extremely painful.

30 mins later drove myself home and the recovery was easy. Just had to take it easy eating certain foods for a while. Don't worry OP
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10003 posts
942 upvotes
Markham
If I remember correctly (I had mine out over 10 years ago), you will just want to eat soft foods at first because a) you don't want to rip stitches b) you may have some sensitivity
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15968 posts
1875 upvotes
BengaliPrince wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 2:13 am
does it effect chewing/eating meat much?
I didn't seem to be too hungry after the surgery ... I think I had soft foods for the first couple of days. Took about a week before going back to solids.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16978 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA West
BengaliPrince wrote:
I'm getting my all my Wisdom Teeth removed tomorrow morning
OP, any update? How was your experience?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2330 posts
1233 upvotes
BengaliPrince wrote:
Good luck!

They put me under general anesthesia as I was getting 4 impacted wisdom teeth + 2 molars removed at the same time. The nurse must have underestimated the dosage because I remember waking up while they were removing the 3rd wisdom tooth. I remember a nurse screaming "omg he's awake!" and the nurses scrambling to dose me with more anesthetic.

Because they hit me with the second dose of anesthesia, I must have been totally out of it and I woke up at home, in my bed with no recollection of leaving the dentist's office. My parents also mentioned that the dentist changed my prescription after the incident... he was going to give me T3s, but cancelled that and gave me a month long prescription of oxycodone instead. I barely remember that month... 3 daily doses of a oxy :P
[OP]
Apr 21, 2009
847 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 5:12 pm
OP, any update? How was your experience?
They had to cancel because the oral surgeon had some emergency and could not come into the clinic so it was rescheduled to happen in 2 weeks, because he's only in the clinic once a month.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7335 posts
487 upvotes
That sucks. I basically had a liquid diet for the first few days.

Then slowly added banana and congee etc.

I was starving but consumed a TON of liquid stuff. Again Ensure to get some nutrients, lots of soup and ice cream and yogurt to help soothe and fill me up.