Art and Photography

Is it wise to sell D300 and go 2 generations lower?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2009 12:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes

Is it wise to sell D300 and go 2 generations lower?

Hello folks.
I really wish I had listened to some of the great tips and suggestions given to me, but I learned the hard way.

The problem I am having is that I thought going D300 and 24-70 will cover what I need. It didn't. When I didn't have anything and was starting from scarcth I made a decision that I won't be needing anything except Nikon 24-70. I am not a sports shooter so anything past 100mm is no use to me. And I thought 24mm on crop would be good enough since I will only be doing portaits and people photography.

Well, I had my first wedding 2 weeks ago. It was my old friend's wedding who isn't rich and I was the only photographer there. It wasn't paid and it was in a remote village where owning even a basic 5MP camera means you are wealthy. Anyways, there I was, a foreinger with D300, 24-70, SB900 (rented to try it out as I have never tried flash) and battery grip (also rented to try out vertical release),
total value approximately of $4200 combined for body+lens+flash+grip

However one thing I understood is that I desperately needed wide angle and a flash. I absolutely craved for wide angle during tight corridor shots and room shots. Like I said above, I had a flash with me, but it was rental so I knew that I would have to say goodbye to it after I come back. So this left me in a dillema:

I can not afford any additional lenses like wide angle or even a lesser flash like SB600. My budget pretty much emptied when I purchased D300 and 24-70. I am really thinking of selling D300 with 24-70 and buying a used XTi/XSi/XS and set of lenses that include a fisheye (something I have wanted to get creative with), wideangle as I do a lot of landscape and 24mm on 1.5 crop just doesn't cut it for me and a macro lens.
Macro can wait as it's the least of interest to me but wide angle and flash and more important.

Please keep in mind that I am not jumping ships because Nikon doesn't do what I want. It does and it does the job perfectly fine. I just have different priorities and interests now than I did before when was purchasing the body and lens. Before I thought 24-70 would be my walkaround lens, but I was mistaken regardless of people telling me 24 on crop is too tight. Please steer me into the right direction because it's hard to part with such a beautiful body with gorgeous 3" LCD in favour of something that is several years old but I see no other way of getting wide angle and flash and macro unless I don't sell my current gear.

I am okay with using primes and changing lenses. I don't need anything past 100mm. I am okay with 3rd party lenses and I am okay with used stuff.

Am I wasting money by selling stuff I bought new? Or maybe I should just sell 24-70 and stay with Nikon? The only reason why I am going Canon is because lower end Nikons don't have the AF motor making old AF lenses useless for me. But Canon lower end bodies don't have such issues. Plus I get access to Canon lenses.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6999 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
Why not just sell the 24-70mm and use the proceeds to buy 2 cheaper lenses.. such as the Sigma 10-20mm and a Sigma 24-70mm or Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 zoom lens. You may be able to get a sb600 as well and still add up to about the same as the 24-70mm is worth.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Don't let one wedding discourage you, they are notoriously hard to shoot.

I say keep the gear and build upon it as you master nuances of the lens and body. Sure, you'll miss some creative shots that are outside of the bulk of photos you take, but remember, these shots don't make up what you normally shoot.
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
46 upvotes
Save, and build upon your system when your wallet allows. Another option would be is to sell your 24-70g and get a 17-55dx or a tamron 17-50.

You don't need to go crazy wide at weddings. I rarely shoot wider than 24mm on full-frame.

If you're going to jump ship and go Canon. Skip the croppers and go to a 5D + 24-70L + 580ex2. I'm sure you can make the switch without having to spend the cash.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1301 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
forget buying

start renting.

That'll get you through until you absolutely need to buy again when your budget allows.

I rented 2 lenses, a flash and a battery pack on top of all the stuff I already own when I shot the few weddings I had to shoot this past summer. Could I have bought them? Sure. Do I need to? No.

Save your money that way instead of jumping ship again and going to a different brand with basically the same kit. Next thing you know you're going to say a 10-22 3.5 is too slow and will once again kick yourself in the nuts.
Dec 30, 2006
87 posts
128 upvotes
You got the wrong lens for a DX body for weddings. You should have gotten the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8. The 24-70mm would be fine for full frame.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
bigwilly03 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 6:12 pm
You got the wrong lens for a DX body for weddings. You should have gotten the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8. The 24-70mm would be fine for full frame.
Yep. Plus you ran into the new to the hobby tendency to tread DSLRs like P&S by thinking you only need 1 lens. Major point for DSLR is to get the ability to switch lens.

Are you looking into the used market? You can get for example a Tamron 17-50 for 400 dollars and it should give you the wider angle you wanted. And you should be able to get a kit Nikon 18-55 for even cheaper? The canon ones goes for about 100-150 if you get it used. Although, take it from me that can make you want something even wider (as I am thikning about 10-22 now :P ).

I think the best thing to do is not to stress about it now but start saving up for more lens. If you like this hobby enough you'll end up spending more on it. You'll lose money selling your stuff now. Best to built up slowly then to make rash decision and end up with even less.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21280 posts
2104 upvotes
See what you get for not listening to RFDers. :lol:

I would sell the 24-70 ad build up a cheaper lens set. As the others have mentioned, a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 plus perhaps a prime is a good place to start. You keep your preferred focal length, and can add a fast prime or two. There should also be room for an SB600.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Does getting used 5D for $1200 or so make sense?
I could sell my D300 for approx $1500 (it has 3 year extended warranty and 5k shutter) which means I could use the $1500 for Canon 5D and a flash equivalent to SB600. Then, I will have $1800 from the 24-70 to get:

Walkaround
Ultra Wide Angle
Fisheye
And possibly macro...possible to do for $1800? (all used)

There's a guy on CL right now looking for mint D300 with extended warranty.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
Lulz wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 8:03 pm
Does getting used 5D for $1200 or so make sense?
I could sell my D300 for approx $1500 (it has 3 year extended warranty and 5k shutter) which means I could use the $1500 for Canon 5D and a flash equivalent to SB600. Then, I will have $1800 from the 24-70 to get:

Walkaround
Ultra Wide Angle
Fisheye
And possibly macro...possible to do for $1800? (all used)

There's a guy on CL right now looking for mint D300 with extended warranty.
As a Canon user I'd never say no to someone wanting to ditch Nikon and come over to our side (kidding!!!). Seriously though couple of things:

1) 5D is full frame which means any lens you get automatically becomes "wider" than same focal length on the D300.

2) At the same time lens like the Tamron 17-50 will not work that well. It'll fit but it would not produce as good an image.

3) For 1800 you should be able to get at least 2 good lens for your Canon if you shop used. But! The same can be said for Nikon lens.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6999 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
If I were going Canon 5D I'd be tempted to get the 24-105 F4 L as my walkaround thus negating a lot of the possible cost savings.
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
Are you going to be shooting weddings frequently? And for money? If not why not just keep the gear you have. Gear is $$$ and if you aren't making money through your photography you shouldn't splurge on $$$ gear.

The 5D is a very different beast compared to your D300. The image quality is fantastic but it is almost archaic to use compared to Nikons. Switching systems means you will be losing money and will end up with the same or lower gear. Your best bet is like what other RFD users have said and save up and get what you need in your current Nikon camera system.

Personally I would not pay $1500 for a used D300 camera even with warranty.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
I'm on the bandwagon of selling your 24-70 for cash to fund a couple of primes.

Sounds to me the only real issue is that the 24-70 is too long for your cropped body, and that you have no issues with the D300. Most stores that still has stock are selling the D300 for $1500-$1650 CDN... you're going to have a hard time selling yours for the same. 24-70 goes for a lot more used, I've seen $1700 on Craigslist which should be enough for 3 good primes or a prime and a zoom.

Secondly, if you want a flash but can't afford the SB900, I would recommend the much cheaper SB600 ($260 reg brand new but frequently goes on sale for $240 or less) which is also a very very capable flash.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13172 posts
1488 upvotes
Mississauga
You can always consider a Pentax that can take any lense made in the past century or so.

You can score manual focus primes for dirt cheap then.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
frogger wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 9:20 pm
If I were going Canon 5D I'd be tempted to get the 24-105 F4 L as my walkaround thus negating a lot of the possible cost savings.
24-105 I got for about 1k 2nd hand. He can get that and still have 700-800 left for another lens.