Tags:
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
jacnel wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 11:17 pm
Idk, so far student life for me has been no money and crippling depression. So I wouldn't mind if it never came back....
Talk to your student counselling office.
Seriously, this is not a sarcastic post. Most schools will have counselling / therapy built into their student fees at no additional cost. And if you don't deal with issues when they start, it will be much harder to break out of bad patterns later. I have seen it too many times. I urge you to make the appointment sooner rather than later.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Jan 2nd, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jun 13, 2018
570 posts
404 upvotes
jacnel wrote:
Idk, so far student life for me has been no money and crippling depression. So I wouldn't mind if it never came back....
Look beyond that as best you can. just remember the topic, the past. The one thing you can never recover is time, the one true depleting resource
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1623 posts
1118 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 11:43 pm
Talk to your student counselling office.
Seriously, this is not a sarcastic post. Most schools will have counselling / therapy built into their student fees at no additional cost. And if you don't deal with issues when they start, it will be much harder to break out of bad patterns later. I have seen it too many times. I urge you to make the appointment sooner rather than later.
Yeah I should probably do that
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member.
Dec 29, 2012
829 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
Personal finance:
1. your bank's financial planner is not your friend. Watch out for high service fees on mutual funds and deferred sales charges.
2. it's never too early to start saving
3. don't buy expensive things to impress others

Career:
1. you are smarter than your peers will admit
2. get a good education in a profession that can't be automated, outsourced
3. there's no loyalty in the office - work hard, network, keep your resume updated
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2439 posts
2403 upvotes
"Stop eating your fu****** avocado toasts if you ever want to move out of mom's basement"
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 9:16 am
"Stop eating your fu****** avocado toasts if you ever want to move out of mom's basement"
That's the problem though. The younger generation doesn't want to move out of mom's basement. "Mom" has made it far too easy/cushy/attractive. I couldn't wait to get away from the old bag (my mom), but not today's kids.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2005
1815 posts
20 upvotes
Scaborough
Figure out what you want out of life (what and when) and then work backwards to calculate how much that would cost. This can change an evolve over time but at least set a goal to work towards.

This would then drive your career and investment decisions.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
2577 posts
965 upvotes
Canada
jacnel wrote:
Strange...you're probably doing it wrong then. My university years were great...I worked like hell, going to school FT and also working close to FT. I finished my bachelors and masters degrees with no debt, and all paid for myself.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
2577 posts
965 upvotes
Canada
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:35 am
I couldn't wait to get away from the old bag (my mom), but not today's kids.
Me too. I moved out at 20 years old and never returned.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3455 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:20 pm
2) Personal Finance - Don't take financial advice from broke people.
Broke people may have sound financial advice based on the school of hard knocks. It is called experience.

My experience would say don't get married, buy a house and start a business all in the same year.
If you are getting different credit scores from different sources please post them here:
Comparing the consumer accessible credit scores
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1623 posts
1118 upvotes
Guelph, ON
gbill2004 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:50 am
Strange...you're probably doing it wrong then. My university years were great...I worked like hell, going to school FT and also working close to FT. I finished my bachelors and masters degrees with no debt, and all paid for myself.
lucky you
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28774 posts
14578 upvotes
Ottawa
Listen to your parents.
Go out and meet people.
Don't be afraid to cut off people from your life (even if it was your best friend since childhood) that are negative.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
3225 posts
2769 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
gbill2004 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:50 am
I had a horrendous time too and worked hard near full time hours with full time school. I ended up with debt even though I did things "right" working throughout high school and university, saving, and never splurging. Everyone's experience and circumstances are different. People can be doing the right things but still be in trouble. Tuition rates vary, opportunities to work are different etc.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17508 posts
2862 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:35 am
That's the problem though. The younger generation doesn't want to move out of mom's basement. "Mom" has made it far too easy/cushy/attractive. I couldn't wait to get away from the old bag (my mom), but not today's kids.
A lot of parents will actively cripple their kids and prevent this from happening, especially if you're from an Asian culture. Mine did.

For students especially: Family is only out for themselves and not you. All that 'family values", "strong families stay together", "respect your elders" BS is just nonsense to guilt children into compliance and cover for the fact that your parents can be raging narcissists who view you as their property and will never let go. They won't respect your choices, they'll actively fight you if you try to build your own life, they won't help in times of need, and they'll cut you off and turn the entire family on you in the blink of an eye if you go against their plan for your life. Finishing high school and starting university is a critical juncture in your life, and that's when the side of them that actively interferes with your life long-term will first start to really come out. A lot of students end up failing out during their first two years of university because of this specific issue because they don't expect this and are unprepared to deal with it while in school (search the student forum if you don't believe me).

If you have a different personality and outlook from your parents and come from a culture where filial piety is common, be prepared for a knife in the back and an attempt to leave you with no choice but to follow their wishes during a critical moment, and if it comes remember to cut your losses and leave for a safe situation. If you have to struggle for a few years, move out and endure the struggle at a job until you get to a stable position, then do things with lasting consequences when your head is right and you're prepared to do your best.

TL:DR: Families will put their interests ahead of yours at all times, and will attempt to walk all over you if you don't go along. Don't forget this. Unless they actively support you in your life and you get along, they're just people who grew up in the same house as you and who have no loyalty to you.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Oct 9, 2018
64 posts
16 upvotes
- Don't spend more than 50% of your monthly income on rent - eg: get a roommate or don't rent in the downtown core.
Or..
- If you live in the city and you can tolerate your family, live at home for a few years when you're fresh out of university to initially save money/help with paying off student loans
- TRACK YOUR FINANCES and FORCE yourself to save money
- Put money in your RRSP each year
- If you're saving for something more short-term, put money in a TFSA

I have so many friends who started their careers renting solo in Downtown Toronto where half their paycheque went to rent and they just spent the rest of it frivolously because they were too lazy to make meals = have no savings.