[Walmart] WM: SEIKI BD-Live Blu-Ray Player BD660

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2012 10:39 am
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes

[Walmart] WM: SEIKI BD-Live Blu-Ray Player BD660

Further update: I noticed that Walmart has re-stocked these players, but that the packaging has changed. This display model appeared identical, but I don't know for sure whether anything has changed.

Update: Walmart currently has these for $78 during the Anniversary Sale (EXPIRED).

I picked one of these up today at Wal*mart. I haven't hooked it up to try it out yet, and probably won't have time to do so until tomorrow. The display model was actually quite nice looking and seemed well built.

Some of the stated specs from the box.

Video Playback
Picture Enhancement: Progressive Scan, Video Upscaling, High Def (720p, 1080i, 1080p)
Compression Formats: H.264, VC-1, MPEG2, MPEG4
Playback Media: BD Profile 2.0, BD-R/RE 2.0, DVD, DVD-Video, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, DivX

Audio Playback
Sound System: Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Tru HD, DTS 2.0 + Digital Out
Compression Format: MP3, PCM, Dolby Digital DTS
Playback Media: MP3-CD, CD-R/RW, CD, MP3-DVD

Connectivity
HDMI, USB, Ethernet, Component Video, Composite Video, Coaxial, Optical

I had to buy it just to try it out and because it hit my <$100 price point.
520 replies
Jun 25, 2009
24 posts
5 upvotes
Laval
It would be great if it could support MKV
Feb 18, 2009
123 posts
12 upvotes
Looks like a great price but what on earth is Seiki....a google search didn't really give me any information. I'm anxiously awaiting your review. Thanks OP
Feb 18, 2009
123 posts
12 upvotes
Vacillator wrote:
May 22nd, 2010 7:27 pm
Here's their website listed on the box. The website contains zero product information :razz:

http://www.ivi-digital.com/
Gotta love this from the website

Blue-ray DVD Player Terminated

BLUE! So money

or this in the about us section http://www.ivi-digital.com/AboutUs-01.html

pursuit of beautify life by innovation and creative

sounds like it was put in Google translate and copy pasted.

In any case, let's hope their engineering and manufacturing is better than their spelling.
Jan 29, 2010
105 posts
27 upvotes
Victoria
I picked one up also. I liked the size which was a smaller profile. My sony 32 lcd in my bedroom is wall mounted and i have a small shelf for the sat reciever and this unit. I tried it out with Cold Mnt. on Blu-Ray at 720p. It looked pretty good. There is no live update for firmware over the ethernet. So I visited the above mentioned web site. No Support links? So i'm wondering if I should take it back and get the Samsung BD-1600 at The Source for 109.00? I'm worried about Firware updates for future Blu-Rays
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... uage=en-CA
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7663 posts
761 upvotes
North York
Northguy wrote:
May 23rd, 2010 12:33 am
I picked one up also. I liked the size which was a smaller profile. My sony 32 lcd in my bedroom is wall mounted and i have a small shelf for the sat reciever and this unit. I tried it out with Cold Mnt. on Blu-Ray at 720p. It looked pretty good. There is no live update for firmware over the ethernet. So I visited the above mentioned web site. No Support links? So i'm wondering if I should take it back and get the Samsung BD-1600 at The Source for 109.00? I'm worried about Firware updates for future Blu-Rays
For an extra $20 do you have to ask? Samsung SD-1600 all the way!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
1367 posts
3 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote:
May 23rd, 2010 1:39 am
For an extra $20 do you have to ask? Samsung SD-1600 all the way!
++
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5196 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga
Northguy wrote:
May 23rd, 2010 12:33 am
http://www.ivi-digital.com/Product.html

'Blue-ray DVD Player Terminated'?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Reasonably impressed so far with the unit. We rented a Blu-Ray and watched it with no issues. The player is quiet, the movie loaded quickly and it responds quickly to the remote (the included remote is actually quite nice, although I'll use my Harmony remote if I keep the player). It grabbed a DHCP address right away too.

I plugged in my 2.5 external which I use on my WDTV and it didn't show any sign of recognizing it, so I'm guessing the USB port is only good to plug in a flash drive for firmware updates and maybe for BD-Live content. Oh well, I'm not overly concerned about that anyway, as I have plenty of other ways to play DivX/MKV content.

Really, the only thing that concerns me is the probable lack of support from the vendor. This is my first experience with a Blu-Ray standalone player. How frequently are firmware updates issued for players and how important are they? Will new Blu-Ray releases come out and be broken without a firmware upgrade?

That Samsung drive at TSCC is nowhere to be found around here, so that's out of the question as an alternative.
Jan 29, 2010
105 posts
27 upvotes
Victoria
I checked The Source and the samsung not here. I've watched Cold mnt and Sherlock Holmes so far. Pretty good quality. Quiet and fast loading. Walmart had a load of them today when I was there. A long weekend deal my guess. The discontinued Blu Ray on the website is not the same one (at least the picture is not). Tonight I will check out the upconverting of a Regular DVD.
I have to say so far i am impressed for only $88. :D
There was no record on harmony's website. I saved all the keys and uploaded them to Logitech Harmony's site. I have the Harmony 659 in my Bedroom.
Feb 2, 2005
82 posts
2 upvotes
Im on my way to get a second one now.

This player is seemingly for dvd anyways region free and also plays pal without problems. I played an imported region 2 coded dvd with no issue at all.

I plugged a usb flash drive into it and pressed the "media center" button on the remote and it read the usb drive no problems as well and xvids seem to work. Even in hd '720p' type quality.

Mkv files want to play, and they seem to play the sound perfect and the video is very fluid and isnt jerky, but theres pixelation and some video issues.

Bluray booted up just as quickly as a ps3 would, and played just fine, i didnt check bd live at all, as i never use that anyways.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2004
4204 posts
87 upvotes
Y2Jared19 wrote:
May 24th, 2010 11:55 am
Im on my way to get a second one now.

This player is seemingly for dvd anyways region free and also plays pal without problems. I played an imported region 2 coded dvd with no issue at all.

I plugged a usb flash drive into it and pressed the "media center" button on the remote and it read the usb drive no problems as well and xvids seem to work. Even in hd '720p' type quality.

Mkv files want to play, and they seem to play the sound perfect and the video is very fluid and isnt jerky, but theres pixelation and some video issues.

Bluray booted up just as quickly as a ps3 would, and played just fine, i didnt check bd live at all, as i never use that anyways.
Will it play divx files off usb?
Oct 18, 2009
407 posts
88 upvotes
is this player avaiable at the Walmart at Markham/Steeles or the Walmart at Markville Mall
× < >