• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 10:02 pm
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
208 posts
56 upvotes

Wok burner for outdoor kitchen - need licensed gas tech opinion

Hi all
I am planning an outdoor kitchen in my patio.
I want to put a high btu work burner in it.
Is it legal for a licensed gas tech install a natural gas wok burner that is imported from China? (ie. not CSA certified)
Or do I have to get a propane burner and use that instead?

Just to clarify again, this is meant to be used OUTDOOR, not inside the house.

Cheers
36 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3708 posts
1723 upvotes
strikeraj wrote: Hi all
Is it legal for a licensed gas tech install a natural gas wok burner that is imported from China? (ie. not CSA certified)

Cheers
You can't operate a propane burner if it's not CSA approved as well.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
208 posts
56 upvotes
i see. in that case can i obtain a one time approval from CSA for personal use?
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
208 posts
56 upvotes
actually I just looked through the ontario building code, it doesnt specify the use of CSA approved cooktop.
Or am i looking at the wrong place?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4733 posts
2113 upvotes
Mississauga
It probably wouldn’t be in the OBC. There are separate regulations around gas appliances.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3708 posts
1723 upvotes
strikeraj wrote: actually I just looked through the ontario building code, it doesnt specify the use of CSA approved cooktop.
Or am i looking at the wrong place?
CSA Standards
Natural gas and propane installation code
B149.1-10
January 2010

4.2 Approval of appliances, accessories, components, equipment, and material

An appliance, accessory, component, equipment, or material used in an installation shall be of a type and rating approved for the specific purpose for which it is employed.
When deviation from or postponement of these requirements is necessary, permission in writing shall be obtained from the authority having jurisdiction before the work proceeds, and this permission shall apply only to the particular installation for which it is given.
The approval of the assembly or construction of an appliance is subject to the authority having jurisdiction. (CSA B149.3 contains provisions for the assembly and construction of appliances.

You could possibly be able to use an appliance which is not approved by contacting "the authority having jurisdiction" which is TSSA in Ontario.
Aug 13, 2006
404 posts
141 upvotes
Another consideration - will your insurance cover any issues caused by using an non certified gas appliance?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
701 upvotes
Waterloo
strikeraj wrote: Hi all

Cheers
How to change any BBQ stove into a Wok burner.
----
Pay it forward.
Feb 28, 2018
132 posts
83 upvotes
Waterloo region
you can possibly get field approval from TSSA... very expensive.. no guarantees it will be approved...
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
208 posts
56 upvotes
Thanks everyone for the reply and advice.

My main concern for burner find in Canada is not the btu rating, but having the proper burner design for wok cooking (very concentrated flame in the center)

If I understand correctly, modifying a BBQ burner also falls in the same category as using an appliance not certified for its original purpose right?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
701 upvotes
Waterloo
strikeraj wrote: Thanks everyone for the reply and advice.

My main concern for burner find in Canada is not the btu rating, but having the proper burner design for wok cooking (very concentrated flame in the center)

If I understand correctly, modifying a BBQ burner also falls in the same category as using an appliance not certified for its original purpose right?
the burner is not modified in case of jackets like these. its an additional cover on the flame similar to what you would have if you place a pot over the flame. only in this case instead of dispersing the flame ( as a pot would do ) this is concentrating the flame.

In any case, you can use similar burner to the one linked . these are apparently CSA certified.
Last edited by Supahhh on Feb 11th, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3388 posts
1394 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I'd be happy if I could find a ceramic ring that sits on the burner grid and the wok sits in the middle. Maybe not a perfect seal so the flames can go somewhere.

Sort of like in the page below.

http://www.townfood.com/ranges_standard.html
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD