[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1946 posts
445 upvotes
Ottawa

Woman loses her life savings to "SIN scam"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/s ... -1.5378917

The future generation folks!......Its really really difficult to feel sorry for these people. How can a woman at this young age who's life is revolved around the internet fall for something as stupid as this? I don't understand! Not once did she think to her self this doesn't sound right? Issue is people don't question things anymore. Its almost as though this country has become the land of the naive and gullible which is why we are hearing more and more of these scams in Canada.

What really is terrifying about this article is that this lady is allowed to vote, allowed to drive and allowed to walk around holding sharp objects.

Also, Steve Rogers? LOL! Captain America seems really desperate for money.
69 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2069 posts
473 upvotes
Ontario
Clearly this needs to be taught in school or something because of the amount of ppl falling for this. We are going to get a worldwide reputation as a bunch of fools.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2640 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sg2386 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 2:26 pm

The future generation folks!......Its really really difficult to feel sorry for these people. How can a woman at this young age who's life is revolved around the internet fall for something as stupid as this? I don't understand! Not once did she think to her self this doesn't sound right? Issue is people don't question things anymore. Its almost as though this country has become the land of the naive and gullible which is why we are hearing more and more of these scams in Canada.

What really is terrifying about this article is that this lady is allowed to vote, allowed to drive and allowed to walk around holding sharp objects.

Man this woman is so gullible! If you hear an indian accent with a fresh "white" name, just assume it's a scam lol

I used to get lots of those CRA calls, but as of late no one calls me, and whenever I get bored those calls are my entertainment! haha
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1745 posts
1190 upvotes
Canada
What if your savings is like $50million? How many years do you need to drive around Canada (Or fly around the world) to buy all the gift cards?

Gotta catch em all!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2001 posts
211 upvotes
What's more shameful is 4K in life savings at her age. That's humiliating.
"I've been tearing money since my first Holy Communion."
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4847 posts
594 upvotes
Ottawa
pupazzo wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 3:32 pm
She's 23. Having $4000 in life savings at that age isn't bad; most people that age don't even have a positive net worth.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2063 posts
681 upvotes
Winnipeg
When I read life savings, its seems like a six digit #. It shouldnt be called "life savings" if you can that much within a year doing minimum wage jobs.

So if I'm a student with $10 savings, and I go out to dine, can I say I ate my life savings worth of food in a single sitting.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2774 posts
598 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
isn't bad? when i was 23 my new car was PAID OFF and had money in the bank and had atleast 20K in Investments/RRSPs
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9348 posts
1919 upvotes
Somewhere
pupazzo wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 3:32 pm
How much life savings does your cumpare have?
:confused:
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14535 posts
4291 upvotes
Here 'n There
webshark wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 2:38 pm
Clearly this needs to be taught in school or something because of the amount of ppl falling for this. We are going to get a worldwide reputation as a bunch of fools.
I got the same call this afternoon and hung up.

You can't teach common sense:

Clue 1: It was a telephone call;
Clue 2: No one can rent a car in your name with a SIN;
Clue 3: She was told to transfer her savings to secure gift cards;
Clue 4: Specifically Google Play cards;
Clue 5: When her debit card limit was reached she was told to increase her credit limit, then buy yet more gift cards;
Clue 6: She was told she couldn't tell anyone what was going on; and
Clue 7: She was told she would get her new SIN by phone.

among many other clues in this incident.

Was this woman born on another planet? Head under a rock for years? It's unbelievable she could be so incredibly gullible, but yes folks it happens all the time. That's why the scammers keep doing it. There is a sucker born every second.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2272 posts
810 upvotes
Let me guess, if she had kids, she wouldn't vaccinate them either
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1581 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
sg2386 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 2:26 pm

I think the bolded part is a bit of a stretch if you did a poll of people who feel for it and those that didn't if wager the numbers strongly favour those that didn't. There have always been people like that, I have personal friends university graduates and doctors that lack the most basic of common sense yet were smart enough to receive a doctorate.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11197 posts
917 upvotes
Brampton
She's a blonde! LoL. Seriously I think when she heard it was the police she believed them cause most peeps believe police never lie! I bet she must feel really bad.

Where are the scammers calling from?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2730 posts
1494 upvotes
Kitchener
GoodFellaz wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2019 3:56 pm
isn't bad? when i was 23 my new car was PAID OFF and had money in the bank and had atleast 20K in Investments/RRSPs
You're the exception, not the rule. I work with a lot of young people, and no one has a paid off car and net worth, because they're in debt from college/university and their parents aren't cash. There are a couple workers that have a few thousand in the bank, but they don't have anything either (no car, no house, no degree).

Also, article is misleading, as 'life savings' is usually calculated at an older age, not 23.

I realize too that most of these scam callers have obvious Indian accents, but at this time, most legit call centres are either in India or hirer a good number of middle eastern new Canadians at call centres so it's understandable that hearing an RCMP officer with an Indian accent doesn't raise red flags anymore.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)