None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7267 posts
393 upvotes
Sharks316 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 4:55 pm
i guess u haven't travelled much eh
Dude, if you only hang out at the Canadian embassy in those countries you'll notice they speak English.

To be honest, their English level in foreign countries are pretty low. I went to Beijing last year and outside of tourist areas, no one speaks English. Just came back from a Mediterranean cruise (Italy, France and Spain) and it's the same thing. Outside of tourist spots, people's English levels are very low. Buying train tickets at the station was tough because the Italian workers do not speak English. They understand Spanish more than English from my experience at the civitavecchia station.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7267 posts
393 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 5:38 pm
If I return from my trip and the border agent asks if I have anything to declare, I can use "no english" and be sent on my merry way with "no hassle?"
No, if the person really doesn't speak English, you don't proceed to grab a pair of skizors and threaten to cut up their ID. You can proceed to do something much more civil and polite ie: cavity search lol
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 12, 2010
611 posts
55 upvotes
"No English"

lol, Im picturing a miss swan madtv scene here.

Lady, you have a PR card, at least make an effort to be polite if you are unwilling to learn even basic conversation English.

Border guards need to be stern and authoritative IMO. But this person clearly crossed the line and is not suited to interact with the public.
Oct 22, 2012
596 posts
50 upvotes
bobbings wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 6:01 pm
No, if the person really doesn't speak English, you don't proceed to grab a pair of skizors and threaten to cut up their ID. You can proceed to do something much more civil and polite ie: cavity search lol
to a Lady?

*ehhhhh ehhhhhhh, sexy ladyeh, opp opp opp oppa Gangnam Style* XD
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
75 upvotes
bobbings wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 5:58 pm
Just came back from a Mediterranean cruise (Italy, France and Spain) and it's the same thing. Outside of tourist spots, people's English levels are very low. Buying train tickets at the station was tough because the Italian workers do not speak English. They understand Spanish more than English from my experience at the civitavecchia station.
Would the Italians understand French?

I'm asking since some Canadians speak French

-
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4076 posts
102 upvotes
Tahsis
I'll just say that there are two sides to every story and something doesn't ring true to me, but it's possible that it happened. I know for a fact that years of seeing longtime citizens & PR's that can't/won't speak English or French (often the won't is because they are covering up doing something wrong) is frustrating.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
132 upvotes
Anyone else think it's too bad there are so many people who want to live in Canada who have learned english but still can't get in, and other people get in but don't even try to learn english?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2012
1717 posts
132 upvotes
What do you guys think of this article: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/ ... 354031201/

Summary: Turkish woman lives in Germany for 30 years and doesn't know german so the court orders her to take classes.

Would you support mandatory english classes for people who don't know english?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6358 posts
191 upvotes
Ticco wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 4:58 pm
The funny thing is - Canada needs immigrants to circumvent the population decline and with that, the economy and support of the baby boomers. By and large, that's what most immigrants do - they work, pay taxes, and for the most part contribute positively to the country.

I'll apologize on their behalf if they happen to speak with an accent, can't speak english/french fluently, don't like watching hockey night in canada, and end up hanging around within their own community. Not everyone is privileged enough to immigrate to another country with the intention of "immersing themselves in a new culture and language" - sorry if most of them aren't the college kids of yuppie parents who can afford to take years to "find themselves abroad". They're here to work, raise a family, sometimes send money back home to relatives who are poor, etc.

As long as they're not contributing to the decline of the economy, pose any threats to our safety, or contribute significantly to crime I don't see what the big deal is.

Keep up the warm attitude though, I'm sure her sons, herself, and her daughter will feel very welcome and accepted to be here after this incident that they'll want to start watching hockey and whatever else they "should be doing" as Canadians...I always thought Canadian meant pluralism, multi culture, and cosmopolitan but..oh wait, that is what it means as that's what the government has been promoting since the 70s. If you'd rather we do something else i.e. force people to become Canadian, intermingle outside of their communities, prevent them from speaking in their mother tongues, go do something about it - but don't be surprised if you're labelled..what's that word? Oh yea, a fascist.

You want these people to start getting a sense of being Canadian? You can start by changing your f*cking attitudes. (never going to happen)
Talk about someone needing to change his "f***ing attitude". You don't like anyone criticizing immigrants but you don't have a problem criticizing Canadians. For your information, I was born and raised here and it's been many a moon since I've seen my 20's or 30's so I've been around for a long time and funny thing is, I'm Canadian and I don't like hockey and I have LOTS of Canadian friends who also don't like hockey. Talk about painting people with your prejudement brush. You sir (or madam) have a very bad attitude.

As far as the incident outlined in the OP, IF, and I do say IF it's as the family has outlined, then shame on the officer. He should be punished for his actions BUT I'm having a bit of a hard time believing the story.

Was the daughter there? If so, why did she not interpret for her mother? If she wasn't there, then who was able to interpret all of the threats and insults that the officer supposedly said? Seriously, there is something not right about this story. Just saying.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4742 posts
57 upvotes
Local
"Woman was threatened by CBSA for not able to speak English"

Isn't that sentence also not proper english as well?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7267 posts
393 upvotes
john widow wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 6:23 pm
"Woman was threatened by CBSA for not able to speak English"

Isn't that sentence also not proper english as well?
Well, as long as you get your point across then it should be sufficient. We aren't here to get evaluated on how proper your English is.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6038 posts
2147 upvotes
Calgary
I thought one must speak at least one of the two official languages of Canada to apply for immigrant status?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7267 posts
393 upvotes
althetrainer wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 6:28 pm
I thought one must speak at least one of the two official languages of Canada to apply for immigrant status?
Maybe if you're coming in by yourself with no sponsors.

My grandparents were brought over by my dad and they don't speak a lick of English.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10368 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
althetrainer wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 6:28 pm
This 60 year old lady was probably sponsored by her daughter, so I don't think there's a language requirement.
Banned
Aug 12, 2010
4875 posts
148 upvotes
The funny thing is that on the show Border Security CBSA officers are portrayed as respectful and even compassionate at times. Funny how a camera in front of a man's face dictates his behaviour.