Food & Drink

Woo Buffet Restaurant & Lounge going out of business? Any news?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2011 8:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
644 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto

Woo Buffet Restaurant & Lounge going out of business? Any news?

Yesterday, my friend and I went to the Woo Buffet Restaurant & Lounge (Dundas Square) to try to use the vouchers we had purchased for dinner there. We were (somewhat) surprised to see that the restaurant was closed and a termination of lease notice posted there. I searched elsewhere such as Yelp to try to find any news of this, but I was unable to find any.

Does anyone know what happened?

In hindsight, I guess I was not at all surprised. The restaurant were selling all these vouchers on the cheap, and the food quality deteriorated drastically over the past months. It appeared that it was a desperate act to get some profits by selling these vouchers, though obviously it did not work.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9152 posts
613 upvotes
I'm not completely shocked, but they were fairly packed during weekdays at lunch time.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3485 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm wonder if Groupon will refund everyone.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
408 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
lol I was there three weeks ago for a birthday party after hours where it turns into a club.

Crappiest club experience ever in Toronto yet. This place as a club makes the other excuse for a dive "clubs" in Toronto look like upscale.

The "booth" my cousin's bf got was nothing than a cushion seat where people regularly eat with a small table and a name tag. It can barely fit 6 people sitting straight across.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
644 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
A quick followup.

My friend called the voucher company that issued those vouchers. The company claimed that it was just informed of the closure but was told by the restaurant management that the restaurant would reopen. Sure enough, my friend went there yesterday, and the restaurant had reopened. No idea if the restaurant changed its food menu offered for the buffet, sadly. Perhaps someone else can post his/her experience with the new buffet.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6421 posts
658 upvotes
shyhermit wrote:
Jul 31st, 2011 2:41 pm
A quick followup.

My friend called the voucher company that issued those vouchers. The company claimed that it was just informed of the closure but was told by the restaurant management that the restaurant would reopen. Sure enough, my friend went there yesterday, and the restaurant had reopened. No idea if the restaurant changed its food menu offered for the buffet, sadly. Perhaps someone else can post his/her experience with the new buffet.

Reopen to fulfil the terms of the voucher, using the lowest quality food that may or may not pass the provincial food inspectors? Damn...
Mar 4, 2006
237 posts
15 upvotes
Yeah, if anyone's been since the reopen, please report back.
Dec 5, 2005
565 posts
67 upvotes
Went on Sat for dinner. Still crappy like it has been lately. I have 2 more vouchers from Teambuy to use.

Gonna use them asap in case they go bust.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2010
2021 posts
15 upvotes
I can't say that I'm surprised. Went there clubbing after the dinner hours and my experience there was pretty subpar.
Sep 14, 2010
6 posts
Toronto
Does anyone know if this place closed again? I tried calling to make a reservation today because I wanted to use my last Teambuy voucher before the November 30 expiry date, but no one is picking up. They don't even have voicemail set up apparently.
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
laughingpuddle wrote:
Nov 25th, 2011 12:56 pm
Does anyone know if this place closed again? I tried calling to make a reservation today because I wanted to use my last Teambuy voucher before the November 30 expiry date, but no one is picking up. They don't even have voicemail set up apparently.

same here... was going to go tonight too.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
K it's closed. Lease termination notice has been put up.
There's a bunch of people here too.

Don't bother going!
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
2 upvotes
I just used my last 2 vouchers for dinner on Nov 18. The food was pretty good for the 2 times that we went.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11891 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
The lease must have been sky-high for that location, but the crappy food didn't help at all.
Deal with it.
× < >