• May 19th, 2009 11:32 am
Tags:
None
Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes

Wood filler for cedar deck

Hi guys.

I just installed a cedar deck over the long weekend and wasn't able to screw the boards from underneath. While I was out at home depot getting more materials my father in law went to town with a nail gun. I want to fill in all the nail holes now. Is there a high quality wood filler anyone could recommend that would work well with cedar?

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1338 posts
12 upvotes
How you fill the holes depends on what you intend to finish the cedar with.

If there is to be no finish then make your own filler using cedar sawdust and glue (stain will not penetrate the glue).

DAP makes a product (picked it up at Rona) call Wood Patch. It comes in numerous tones, oak, mahogany, cedar etc. It is good for indoor or outdoor applications but a deck may be considered a severe use environment and it may crack or pull away.
Wood Patch sands like real wood and takes a stain etc.

The homemade glue will last the life of the deck. The homemade filler does not sand well.

Few people go the extra mile and spring for cedar, too bad your overenthusiastic helper caused this problem.
Dec 5, 2008
123 posts
11 upvotes
I just went through the same problem. Forget wood filler, it's too expensive and it's not hard enough. Go over to the auto section and look for bondo. I used two 800g cans to fill the top of the 6 posts.

Put an extended deck screw at the bottom in order to secure the plug. Fill them in, in several passes. When you reach the top, slightly overfill and put saran wrap on top. Then lay the railing on top to smooth it out. This method will eliminate the need to sand.

It dries to a pinky finish and it's paintable.

Good luck!
[OP]
Apr 26, 2004
614 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks guys. Both options sound great though I must admit Bondo would never have come to mind.

I've been dreaming of this deck forever and now I want to :cry:

There area a few boards I'll never be able to live with. I'm going to have to tear them up and replace but it's sooo expensive. Hopefully I'll be able to use those damaged boards around the garden some how.

Thanks again for the advise.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1338 posts
12 upvotes
How about some small cedar planters for the deck from the left over boards.? It would be a nice touch.

Caution: They must have drain holes.
× < >