• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2017 4:57 pm
Jan 31, 2016
748 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Zoey101 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:33 pm
Guys I just want to say, that I was having a lot of negative thoughts about the purchase but got in touch with the builders regarding capping fees. I communicated with Rob Kansun; first via email and then via phone (as he was open to answering questions over phone discussion). He was EXTREMELY nice and took the time to go through my concerns and I must say I felt far more at ease after speaking to him!!

And on a side note, I am NOT one of Sierra's people posting a good response to lure you guys there way. It doesn't matter to me weather you guys choose to go with the deal or not; I don't get paid a penny!!

But after reading such negative responses, I just feel that I should share my experience which was a positive one.

Do not just base judgements on your experiences that you had with the sales agents--the gentlemen are older (nice but can be sarcastic) but thats generally how old people are LOL.

My advice would be; go through your agreement with your lawyer and whatever you do not understand, email Sierra group or call and speak to them and have your issues addressed. Make an informed decision!!

Good Luck! :)
edjAero wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:46 pm
Hey guys,

I purchased a unit in Phase 2 and also wanted to share my experience.
I had always followed this forum since it initiated and also had so many mixed feelings when I read some of the other posts. I never felt like I needed to post here as much as I do now.

I was extremely excited about this development as I knew in advance about it, as I currently live across the street on the south side in the older community. We had received letters from the City Of Vaughan about the zoning proposal and from our local Toronto councillor Vincent Crisanti. My wish was to purchase a home here in the future so we can be close to our work, friends, and family.
That wish came true, but with so many mixed feelings in the process.

My wife and I originally had an appointment for phase 1. Unfortunately, we were not able to get in as they had overbooked their appointment slots and sold out in 2 hours. They re-assured my wife and I that we would get an appointment for phase 2. They claimed that all person/s that had an appointment after they sold out, would get an appointment for phase 2.
At first I didn't believe them, but it was a pleasant surprise to receive a phone call from them to confirm my phase 2 appointment.

They day of our phase 2 appointment, it was not a zoo like atmosphere compared to phase 1. It had some structure and didn't seem like an auction. Nevertheless, it still wasn't a remarkable experience for buying our first home. When we were called out our number, we didn't have much time to think about it. We were asked about our unit preference and was told the price. We were torn between 2 models as we had done our homework before going in, it was a matter of our budget. We had some questions that the sales rep was not able to answer. I understand that they are sales reps and may not know everything about the project as they don't directly work for Sierra. I felt like there should have been some direction or guidance about questions and concerns. Some purchasers may have not had questions or cared about certain aspects of the project, but as we are first time home buyers, we had some questions. My wife and I made one of the biggest decision of our lives and decided that we would sign the agreement and then have a lawyer look at it.
We did walk out of the sales office on April 8 excited about our first home and future.

We had our lawyer look at it and I had shared some of the concerns that my wife and I had and also some of the concerns that I read here. I told her that people had claimed that it was a horrible agreement.
My lawyer re-assured us not to worry as she will provide us a full report of her findings and address our concerns. What made us feel at ease was that she already had knowledge about this project through a previous client that purchased in phase 1. She kept claiming that it is a standard agreement and there is nothing really surprising that she can recall. The firm that she works for also represents a reputable condo builder so she has a lot of experience in agreements and knows what to exactly look for.

After a day of providing our lawyer with the agreement, we were given a report and had a telephone conference with our lawyer. She told us exactly what she was going to seek the builder to amend in the agreement and mentioned that there is noting abnormal about the agreement. Our lawyer would also try to get some other sections amended that were based on our concerns, but felt that it would not be accepted.
She told us to think about it and let her know ASAP about having the amendment request sent to Rob at Sierra. We did not have much time as it was Easter weekend coming up.
My wife and I thought about it for a day and decided that we would go through with it. Our lawyer had no issues with communicating with Rob at Sierra. He got back to her within the day of her amendment requests and had finalized all the amendments on the Thursday before Good Friday. All we had to do was go in on the Monday which was the final day of our cooling period to sign all the amendments.

Some of our requests were rejected and some of them were already what our lawyer had expected due to her previous dealings with Sierra from her client that purchased in phase 1.
The biggest shock to my wife and I was the capping costs. We wished that it was much lower than what Sierra had agreed to. As our lawyer said, it is a sellers market right now and unfortunately, builders and not budging much these days with amendments. We went in on Monday to sign the final amended parts of our agreement.

I was able to go to the City of Vaughan's website and read all the relevant documents about this approved zoning proposal. ( https://maps.vaughan.ca/planit )
I must say that it is not an easy development compared to others. There is much more to it then what one would expect. Ill give you an example. Do to the high noise level that is based on the noise level study that was carried out. It is recommended that Sierra put rooftop noise screens on the mechanical equipment (A/C units) that are located on the roof of the Senior's residence and the plaza. Hopefully, Sierra follows the recommendations that were suggested on the various studies that were carried out to have this development approved by the City of Vaughan. It is a pretty interesting read and suggest you guys to read it, if interested.
I also found it interesting That Sierra tried to sell the property/development early last year. It made me wonder if it had to do with the complexity of having this development built. After reviewing various offers, Sierra decided that they would continue to build the development. ( http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/Woodbri ... _Towns.pdf and https://fortressrealdevelopments.com/pr ... ing-court/ )

As you have all read, it was a roller coaster ride on purchasing our unit. My wife and I are not worried and are excited about living in our new home.
I am in no way trying to bash other's opinions or defend the builder. I just wanted to share my views and the homework that I did about purchasing in this development.

Whether you purchased at Woodbridge Park, or at another development, or still seeking your ideal home, I wish everyone all the best.

Cheers!

LOL LOL LOL

Thank you Rob @ Sierra for todays laughs! I think I'm going to buy all the leftovers now...thanks for the posts! I feel so much better...lol
May 13, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
I don't get why myseld and another person was quoted lol...am not quite understanding this...plz explain?
dotsandpixels wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:56 pm
LOL LOL LOL

Thank you Rob @ Sierra for todays laughs! I think I'm going to buy all the leftovers now...thanks for the posts! I feel so much better...lol
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1309 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Zoey101 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:36 pm
I don't get why myseld and another person was quoted lol...am not quite understanding this...plz explain?
pretty obvious, the only ones with somewhat of a positive experience are all new forum members who joined just to discuss their positive experience with this builder whereas all the veterans were telling everyone to stay away. Based on the comments here and my own experiences the contract for this development sounds far from normal
I take pictures of stuff ; flickr
May 13, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
Lol! U guys r funny...I became a member so I could post questions and get feedback frm others! And it's funny how u guys only picked ou my positive comments and started suspecting me...when in thr past I have poses questions re capping of fees and hvac being rental etc etc. Everyone decides to share the negative but nobodynobody's hares the positive. I posted here bevause I was very skeptical about the his after reading post but agter going the his hey my REALLY Estate lawyer and speaking to Rob who was nothing but nice to me...I decided to share this...

U don't have to believe me if u don't want to...it doesn't really matter to me LOL

Ppl should go wit an agreement they feel comfortable wit. ..I was satisfied hence decided to go with it...but Plz don't accuse me of lying...thays just not nice...
superock wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:56 pm
pretty obvious, the only ones with somewhat of a positive experience are all new forum members who joined just to discuss their positive experience with this builder whereas all the veterans were telling everyone to stay away. Based on the comments here and my own experiences the contract for this development sounds far from normal
May 17, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
Wow! If everyone thought that my post was completely positive. I don't know what you were reading. I mentioned things that my wife and I were not pleased with. There are a few more things that I could have mentioned. The HVAC rental is unheard of in a new built a ridiculous. The 25% downpayment statement was a joke, especially when the sales reps didn't say anything about it. That is why I took it to my lawyer and she got some amendments approved, and unfortunately, some rejected. I had made reference to that in my original post. No where in my post did I say it is an amazing agreement or this development is the best.
I even provided info about them wanting to sell the development, earlier last year; which made me think, why would they want to?

You guys will read what you want to read and interpret how you want it. I did not accuse anyone of being wrong or attack anyone's opinions about their thoughts. I just wanted to provided some of my thoughts and homework that I did about this development.
May 13, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
It's funny because I have acually been posting and raking about capping fee and hvac being rental as ridiculous LOL.

You r right ppl read whay they want and beleive what they want...anyway congrats to u on ur new home...which type did u purchase of u don't mind.me asking? ?...we got the back to back!

edjAero wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:37 pm
Wow! If everyone thought that my post was completely positive. I don't know what you were reading. I mentioned things that my wife and I were not pleased with. There are a few more things that I could have mentioned. The HVAC rental is unheard of in a new built a ridiculous. The 25% downpayment statement was a joke, especially when the sales reps didn't say anything about it. That is why I took it to my lawyer and she got some amendments approved, and unfortunately, some rejected. I had made reference to that in my original post. No where in my post did I say it is an amazing agreement or this development is the best.
I even provided info about them wanting to sell the development, earlier last year; which made me think, why would they want to?

You guys will read what you want to read and interpret how you want it. I did not accuse anyone of being wrong or attack anyone's opinions about their thoughts. I just wanted to provided some of my thoughts and homework that I did about this development.
Mar 25, 2017
161 posts
68 upvotes
edjAero wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:46 pm
Hey guys,

I purchased a unit in Phase 2 and also wanted to share my experience.
I had always followed this forum since it initiated and also had so many mixed feelings when I read some of the other posts. I never felt like I needed to post here as much as I do now.

I was extremely excited about this development as I knew in advance about it, as I currently live across the street on the south side in the older community. We had received letters from the City Of Vaughan about the zoning proposal and from our local Toronto councillor Vincent Crisanti. My wish was to purchase a home here in the future so we can be close to our work, friends, and family.
That wish came true, but with so many mixed feelings in the process.

My wife and I originally had an appointment for phase 1. Unfortunately, we were not able to get in as they had overbooked their appointment slots and sold out in 2 hours. They re-assured my wife and I that we would get an appointment for phase 2. They claimed that all person/s that had an appointment after they sold out, would get an appointment for phase 2.
At first I didn't believe them, but it was a pleasant surprise to receive a phone call from them to confirm my phase 2 appointment.

They day of our phase 2 appointment, it was not a zoo like atmosphere compared to phase 1. It had some structure and didn't seem like an auction. Nevertheless, it still wasn't a remarkable experience for buying our first home. When we were called out our number, we didn't have much time to think about it. We were asked about our unit preference and was told the price. We were torn between 2 models as we had done our homework before going in, it was a matter of our budget. We had some questions that the sales rep was not able to answer. I understand that they are sales reps and may not know everything about the project as they don't directly work for Sierra. I felt like there should have been some direction or guidance about questions and concerns. Some purchasers may have not had questions or cared about certain aspects of the project, but as we are first time home buyers, we had some questions. My wife and I made one of the biggest decision of our lives and decided that we would sign the agreement and then have a lawyer look at it.
We did walk out of the sales office on April 8 excited about our first home and future.

We had our lawyer look at it and I had shared some of the concerns that my wife and I had and also some of the concerns that I read here. I told her that people had claimed that it was a horrible agreement.
My lawyer re-assured us not to worry as she will provide us a full report of her findings and address our concerns. What made us feel at ease was that she already had knowledge about this project through a previous client that purchased in phase 1. She kept claiming that it is a standard agreement and there is nothing really surprising that she can recall. The firm that she works for also represents a reputable condo builder so she has a lot of experience in agreements and knows what to exactly look for.

After a day of providing our lawyer with the agreement, we were given a report and had a telephone conference with our lawyer. She told us exactly what she was going to seek the builder to amend in the agreement and mentioned that there is noting abnormal about the agreement. Our lawyer would also try to get some other sections amended that were based on our concerns, but felt that it would not be accepted.
She told us to think about it and let her know ASAP about having the amendment request sent to Rob at Sierra. We did not have much time as it was Easter weekend coming up.
My wife and I thought about it for a day and decided that we would go through with it. Our lawyer had no issues with communicating with Rob at Sierra. He got back to her within the day of her amendment requests and had finalized all the amendments on the Thursday before Good Friday. All we had to do was go in on the Monday which was the final day of our cooling period to sign all the amendments.

Some of our requests were rejected and some of them were already what our lawyer had expected due to her previous dealings with Sierra from her client that purchased in phase 1.
The biggest shock to my wife and I was the capping costs. We wished that it was much lower than what Sierra had agreed to. As our lawyer said, it is a sellers market right now and unfortunately, builders and not budging much these days with amendments. We went in on Monday to sign the final amended parts of our agreement.

I was able to go to the City of Vaughan's website and read all the relevant documents about this approved zoning proposal. ( https://maps.vaughan.ca/planit )
I must say that it is not an easy development compared to others. There is much more to it then what one would expect. Ill give you an example. Do to the high noise level that is based on the noise level study that was carried out. It is recommended that Sierra put rooftop noise screens on the mechanical equipment (A/C units) that are located on the roof of the Senior's residence and the plaza. Hopefully, Sierra follows the recommendations that were suggested on the various studies that were carried out to have this development approved by the City of Vaughan. It is a pretty interesting read and suggest you guys to read it, if interested.
I also found it interesting That Sierra tried to sell the property/development early last year. It made me wonder if it had to do with the complexity of having this development built. After reviewing various offers, Sierra decided that they would continue to build the development. ( http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/Woodbri ... _Towns.pdf and https://fortressrealdevelopments.com/pr ... ing-court/ )

As you have all read, it was a roller coaster ride on purchasing our unit. My wife and I are not worried and are excited about living in our new home.
I am in no way trying to bash other's opinions or defend the builder. I just wanted to share my views and the homework that I did about purchasing in this development.

Whether you purchased at Woodbridge Park, or at another development, or still seeking your ideal home, I wish everyone all the best.

Cheers!
Thanks for the link !!!. Super useful. There are so much requirements to build homes in the city of Vaughan and hence the project was delayed. Read over the documents and it is a not an easy project for the builder at all. Found it super useful that I got to learn what types of trees will be planted where, where the bicycle parking are, materials they are using for the exterior and etc . Thank you.
May 17, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
Zoey101 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:11 pm
It's funny because I have acually been posting and raking about capping fee and hvac being rental as ridiculous LOL.

You r right ppl read whay they want and beleive what they want...anyway congrats to u on ur new home...which type did u purchase of u don't mind.me asking? ?...we got the back to back!
Thanks very much! Congrats to you as well.
We purchased the back to back, C2 End.
We were torn between the C2 End and C4 end. Those are the only 2 that have a private balcony. Originally, when we saw the floorplans online before phase 1 release, it was between the C4 end and C2 Mod end. The C2 Mod end has the private driveway, which is great; but then realized it was not a private balcony as the regular C2 end.
May 17, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
worldpositive wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:57 pm
Thanks for the link !!!. Super useful. There are so much requirements to build homes in the city of Vaughan and hence the project was delayed. Read over the documents and it is a not an easy project for the builder at all. Found it super useful that I got to learn what types of trees will be planted where, where the bicycle parking are, materials they are using for the exterior and etc . Thank you.
I'm glad that you appreciate the links I provided. It took a lot of time to read and gather the information that I found.

That is why I decided to create an account and post it. I wanted to share the info, as knowledge and info are powerful.

Thanks for your kind words worldpositive!
Apr 18, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
LOL I love coming back to this forum to catch up on everyone's experiences. To the commenters that are saying we speak negatively about this development is because we couldn't get an appointment....OPEN YOUR MIND A BIT....how would we speak in so much detail and with so much negativity if we didn't get a chance to read the contract? Come on people.
Mar 25, 2017
161 posts
68 upvotes
Took a walk by the site and snapped some pictures. The ground was flattened in fall and looks much bigger than it appears.
Images
  • Ground 1.jpg
  • Ground 2.jpg
  • Ground 3.jpg
May 13, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
Looks nicee!!
worldpositive wrote:
May 28th, 2017 4:10 pm
Took a walk by the site and snapped some pictures. The ground was flattened in fall and looks much bigger than it appears.
May 17, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
Some good news!!
Just came back from the sales office;
the sales team confirmed that Sierra has decided that the furnace and A/C will be part of the purchase price and not a rental.
If anyone is also able to confirm this, please do so.
Mar 25, 2017
161 posts
68 upvotes
edjAero wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 5:50 pm
Some good news!!
Just came back from the sales office;
the sales team confirmed that Sierra has decided that the furnace and A/C will be part of the purchase price and not a rental.
If anyone is also able to confirm this, please do so.
What was the reason for them to include it as a rental unit in the first place ? My lawyer told me never to trust these sales agents unless they give you in writing. Sales agents will lie to get rid of you at the moment. When it is time to move in 2 years, you can't hold them accountable as they will not be even available for you to get in touch with. I only found out about those proposed 2 mixed residential/commercial units later on, so I called them to ask them regarding its status. Their sales rep replied with "You have the wrong number". I ask her "this is the number of Sierra Building group right ?" and she replies with "no this is Woodbridge Park". Clearly their sales rep has no idea what is going on, or at least the lady that answered the phone did not. She didn't even take few seconds to think about her answer. Did you find anything interesting ? Do you know the size of your backyard ?
May 17, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
worldpositive wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 12:59 am
What was the reason for them to include it as a rental unit in the first place ? My lawyer told me never to trust these sales agents unless they give you in writing. Sales agents will lie to get rid of you at the moment. When it is time to move in 2 years, you can't hold them accountable as they will not be even available for you to get in touch with. I only found out about those proposed 2 mixed residential/commercial units later on, so I called them to ask them regarding its status. Their sales rep replied with "You have the wrong number". I ask her "this is the number of Sierra Building group right ?" and she replies with "no this is Woodbridge Park". Clearly their sales rep has no idea what is going on, or at least the lady that answered the phone did not. She didn't even take few seconds to think about her answer. Did you find anything interesting ? Do you know the size of your backyard ?

Who knows why they were debating to have it as a rental. Perhaps to get a cut from the company that was going to do the install. We will never know why.

I always knew about the commercial development from the get go. I currently live on the Toronto side of Steeles and received the proposed plans for that development during zonal approval.

I'm going to send an email to Sierra to have them confirm if in fact the furnace and A/C is now part of the purchase price.

In regards to backyard, I don't have one as I purchased a back to back.

Also, they are planning to break ground in September and decor appointments to also begin in September. This was all based on the sales rep saying.