• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2017 10:01 pm
Mar 25, 2017
210 posts
104 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:45 pm
Most of them will go in and not buy anything so dont worry
Not true, the houses are selling like hot cakes and builders are using this period to get away with things they normally wouldn't get away.
Mar 25, 2017
210 posts
104 upvotes
italiana1987 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 6:12 pm
Honestly guys...to everyone that DID NOT manage to get a 'glorious' appointment for Phase 1 or 2....you're not missing anything. First off...the sales representatives are extremely sarcastic and rude. Let me break down exactly what is written in this wonderful APS (Agreement of Purchase and Sale). First off....they are NOT responsible if water damage happens in your home, that would be taken care of through your own home insurance. They are not responsible if a tree falls on the building and causes damages, or if someone were to damage the building in the middle of the night...they have the right to assume that it was you or your relatives, and you will be held responsible. Because this 'wonderful' development is with the Condo Corporation...YOU will have to pay Occupancy Fee's...for those of you who do not know what this is, it is basically paying rent to the builder (undisclosed amount and time) until they complete all 3 phases of this development. LOL...what? Sorry. Their wonderful Sales Representatives kept brushing off my concerns about this, making it seem as if I do not know what I'm talking about. That's alright...I'm just a Paralegal for the heck of it right? Maintenance is at $145 a month (will change yearly, with the high possibility of them increasing it by the time we would be able to close the deal in 2 years). Price for the Back to Back towns were at $539,990...which then 'magically' bumped up to $569,990 within the 15 minute difference.
Mr. Vince denied ever saying that though LOL...They refused to eliminate or change any of those wordings inside the contract. My lawyer also attempted to Cap the development fees, because for some reason...this builder is incapable of putting a maximum amount on development levies/costs in an ALREADY developed community. We were given the 10 day cooling off period from April 8th to the 18th (and yes...Easter counted unfortunately), which did not give my lawyer enough time to communicate with their lawyer to change any of the items on the contract. They kept saying that their lawyer was 'away', and not to worry about the 10 day period....they'll just go ahead and cash the first $15,000 cheque (as if we have money to throw around). My lawyer (who has been a Real Estate lawyer for over 35 years) has told me that this was the WORST contract that he has seen since his first year in practice. My husband and I finally decided to go in on the 18th and sign a release. When we went in the office, Mr. Vince had the gall to even say that our lawyer is a FOOL because he could have asked to eliminate the Occupancy Fee's.....their lawyer has yet to communicate with my lawyer though...OK VINCE...OK....guess a legal practicioner is a FOOL.....only you guys are the intelligent ones, right? We do not want any problems with this builder, or the sales office for that matter. This was supposed to be our first home, but honestly, nobody wants to pay rent and waste their money until the builder is good and ready to transfer the registration over. It was best to let it go. Probably one of the best decisions we have ever made to be honest. Guys.......BEWARE OF THIS DEVELOPMENT. I AM SAYING THIS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. We were not the only ones that have signed a release that day either....I am certain of it...we have over 15 friends that purchased there as well, who also backed out. I'll keep my money and invest it elsewhere. Just NOT with this builder. GOOD RIDDANCE.
I'm so sorry, but this is very hard to believe. You had 15 friends that some how managed to get an appointment and all backed out ? Did you exaggerate a bit too much ? I have no special interest in this building group. If you go back and read all the pages, I have already mentioned why I'm not happy with this builder and called them out and expressed my disappointment. But this whole 15 friends purchasing and backing out devalues your comment don't you think ?
Apr 18, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
No...I'm not exaggerating..I would list all the names here but that's a breech of confidentiality. between all of my friends and my husbands friends that purchased Phase 1 and 2...were 15 in total. Regardless...that's not the point here, my comment has its value either way. Happy you agree with me that this builder is garbage.
Oct 26, 2007
60 posts
13 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:45 pm
Most of them will go in and not buy anything so dont worry
Actually people do buy.. last phase in March sold out in the morning, all of the afternoon and following day appointments were cancelled.
Jan 31, 2016
816 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Did anyone book an appointment today? I passed.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
925 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah watch prices drop now that this tax is in. I'd hold off o back out. It doesn't make sense to pay 700k for a town. Just plain ripoff.
Apr 20, 2017
1 posts
3 upvotes
So can't wait to see these beauties. From what I have heard, these soon to be built homes (min 2 years) are situated mere feet from a major railway, close to an area by most accounts is a ghetto. (up and coming im sure)
Also, let's not forget that it may or may not be built on a decomposing landfill.

So, rumours of rampant housing lust from millennials are allowing builders to build in 1. Terrible areas. 2. Charge huge amounts of money that purchases are borrowing to the hilt for a starter freehold town home that, 3. May or may not be a condo.

These previous points married with appalling contracts and purchase risk seems like any rational person would run from this.

However the builders are still taking group showings of 40-50 people per time slot. Also make sure you have 150k down, a good lawyer and patience to deal with people who have lost sense of reality.

Peace
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
925 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto

Wordddd. To me peoples views on home prices don't make sense anymore. My neighbor bought a house 700k and did the roof 2 months after. Really? So you chose not to have an inspection In order to win your bid and now they are paying for a new roof a d also windows. If I spend 700k on a home, it better not need a roof.
Apr 29, 2017
1 posts
thanks to allSmiling Face With Open Mouth , very informative thread , I'm so glad i came across this thread , specially considering i just bought a C1 Back to Back townhome from Woodbride park towns , and I'm still in the 10 day cooling period and a first time home buyer ,so this all new to me

debating weather or not to go to lawyer to review the contract
but i think i will just cancel

is canceling as simple as going to their steeles sales office and asking for a release form ?
Nov 13, 2013
297 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I cant appreciate this thread much!!

I am first time buyer and was about to get into a Condo here but after reading all the advise and information here, we backed out and we dont regret our decision.

People say prices should come down and after Home Capital crises, hopefully prices will come down, but you never know. Unless government imposes any rules on flippers, its difficult to control prices.
Apr 30, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
OK So I read some of these posts and I want to give you the exact breakdown of this scam. DO NOT GO WITH THESE BUILDERS EVER!!!!!!!!! I am someone who is straight up and honest...these people are BS.

I registered over a year ago with this builder and waited for this property - I regret wasting my energy on scam artists like them. Phase 1 was a hot mess as we all read. They booked 50 people per hour, by 12 pm - it was sold out. If you happened to have an appointment after 12 pm and STUCK around in the rain...you were give the opportunity to come in for the EXCLUSIVE phase 2 time with an appointment - so it was never advertised.

I got an appointment for phase 3 for 1 pm for April 29th. I refreshed the page for over an hour at that 3 pm time...after 4 pm I got a time slot. Because I got a 1 pm appointment I decided to get there for 12 pm. Got there, a guy asks for your name OUTSIDE the office and checks your name on this clipboard and tells you to come back to him at 1 pm for your appointment NUMBER. You also get a folder with the layouts (which was useless I already had them) BUT they give you the deposit structure which gave me anxiety. It was not the same deposit structure as phase 1 and 2. Details are below. I stood outside and waited with my family (it wasn't rainy and weather was ok thankfully). I heard the train go by about 6 times while I waited for about an hour. It was louder when the train was travelling closer to the site, the other side, it was not. This being a previous garbage dump, I smelled nothing but do want to say it is RIGHT beside the Petro Canada gas station and plaza. It is literally Kipling and Steeles and yes you do see the buildings right across the street. It is right beside an old age home which I did not have a problem with.

At 1 pm, since I was the first person to go to the guy, I was the first to be called once I filled out forms. That means there were other 1 pm appointments that were after that number. At 1 pm, all 1 pm people go in, they say to fill in a registration form (like a zoo type atmosphere- stupid process) then WAIT to be called. During the waiting period, you go to the table with all the units laid out and see what is available - thats if you get a spot to look! Now I said this was phase 3, my number was mid 20s - there were many back to back towns left and 2 conventional towns. If you do not see a red dot on the site plan, it is not sold. Then you get called by a person to come to the board and choose. The unit I wanted was available, then they say...DECIDE...you want it or not, they need to put a red dot asap. I said yes, they ask for your ID, and you wait again. Then a sales agent calls your name sits down and talks a mile a minute the entire time with a LOAD of paperwork. It is impossible to read it all and to process it as adrenaline is rushing. Sales agent could not answer many questions - she kept saying ask the builder. The first thing the agent said to me was...Oh you actually want to live here as your home? Yea lady I am a first time home buyer, I invested in my PhD not in homes yet. It was like surprising to her....I get it....makes sense!

SO...from Phase 1 and 2 - prices have gone up MINIMUM $30,000. I wanted an end unit C2....it was 629,990 and C2 mod was 640,000 or something. Also, it is no longer 4 payments of $15,000 as a deposit, it is now that PLUS $20,000 as a final deposit. So 5 payments in total within 150 days = $80,000!!!!! OK so I sign all the paperwork because you have a 10 day grace period but I was lucky enough to bring my father who is a real estate broker, agent, real estate lawyer, and mortgage broker!!!! So as the sales lady was talking my ear off....my dad spotted 10 things on the spot wrong with the agreement but he said its ok, we have 10 days and the sales agent could not answer my questions.

Once you sign it all, they leave to make photocopies, take your cheques and say congrats and you go...at one point my sis in law told me that the sales agent who was with me, was asking another man something while pointing to our table and the man made a hand gesture like he didn't care. I am assuming here that she told him, I am with someone who has caught on to this crap (my dad caught on to stuff)....ok so one thing no one has mentioned in this forum....SO IF OCCUPANCY IS AUGUST 1, 2019....THEY HAVE THE RIGHT UNTIL DECEMBER 1, 2020 TO DELAY....but by AUGUST 1, 2019, there is NO RENTAL occupancy fees guys - that is normal usually BUTTTT - YOU HAVE TO HAVE 25% OF THE PURCHASE PRICE as your deposit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means I not only accepted the fact that the deposit is $20,000 more but by then I would need to put down $157,000 by the end of that which is almost double!!!!!!!!!!! READ THIS AGREEMENT WITH YOUR LAWYERS GUYS! It is so important. I feel so bad for people who have not caught on to it. I will NEVER buy with Sierra group and they totally messed with the wrong people as we have public jobs and could share this info with everyone. I am writing this as I do not wish for anyone to go through this ever. $157,000 down plus closing costs and lawyer fees...I rather buy a detached home! The sales lady could not answer these questions and told me to contact my lawyer and Sierra's lawyer - I did...and not negotiable so I am backing out...! The lady had the nerve to say to me that Mattamy homes asks for $120,000 now as deposits - well at least that is cheaper! Sheesh.

A few other things besides the water damage and trees falling being your responsibility...IT SAYS THAT....AIR CONDITIONING AND HEATER MAY BE RENTAL...that is unheard of. Now the maintenance fees are $150 a month - which town houses are doing now more - for snow plowing of private streets, etc....but on top of that add $80-$100 for rental fees for ac and heating units!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hot water tanks are always rentals anyway, but wow...they are taking any penny from you that they can.

Here is my 2 cents...I have never felt this angry before. I have done other pre con sites such as Minto, etc. All these builders are pretty much similar with playing around. First choice goes to family members of the employees and then openings for public of what is left with a higher price. My suggestion - WAIT. There is no way this is going to be sustainable. Just save more money to buy something already up.

As well, majority of the people in line were 90% South Asian, and the rest were Black, Chinese or White...a few each. Most buyers were South Asian. I mean it is diverse kind of. I feel bad if people blindly purchased because they are so screwed later.
Mar 25, 2017
210 posts
104 upvotes
SMcmehta wrote:
May 1st, 2017 3:55 pm
OK So I read some of these posts and I want to give you the exact breakdown of this scam. DO NOT GO WITH THESE BUILDERS EVER!!!!!!!!! I am someone who is straight up and honest...these people are BS.

I registered over a year ago with this builder and waited for this property - I regret wasting my energy on scam artists like them. Phase 1 was a hot mess as we all read. They booked 50 people per hour, by 12 pm - it was sold out. If you happened to have an appointment after 12 pm and STUCK around in the rain...you were give the opportunity to come in for the EXCLUSIVE phase 2 time with an appointment - so it was never advertised.

I got an appointment for phase 3 for 1 pm for April 29th. I refreshed the page for over an hour at that 3 pm time...after 4 pm I got a time slot. Because I got a 1 pm appointment I decided to get there for 12 pm. Got there, a guy asks for your name OUTSIDE the office and checks your name on this clipboard and tells you to come back to him at 1 pm for your appointment NUMBER. You also get a folder with the layouts (which was useless I already had them) BUT they give you the deposit structure which gave me anxiety. It was not the same deposit structure as phase 1 and 2. Details are below. I stood outside and waited with my family (it wasn't rainy and weather was ok thankfully). I heard the train go by about 6 times while I waited for about an hour. It was louder when the train was travelling closer to the site, the other side, it was not. This being a previous garbage dump, I smelled nothing but do want to say it is RIGHT beside the Petro Canada gas station and plaza. It is literally Kipling and Steeles and yes you do see the buildings right across the street. It is right beside an old age home which I did not have a problem with.

At 1 pm, since I was the first person to go to the guy, I was the first to be called once I filled out forms. That means there were other 1 pm appointments that were after that number. At 1 pm, all 1 pm people go in, they say to fill in a registration form (like a zoo type atmosphere- stupid process) then WAIT to be called. During the waiting period, you go to the table with all the units laid out and see what is available - thats if you get a spot to look! Now I said this was phase 3, my number was mid 20s - there were many back to back towns left and 2 conventional towns. If you do not see a red dot on the site plan, it is not sold. Then you get called by a person to come to the board and choose. The unit I wanted was available, then they say...DECIDE...you want it or not, they need to put a red dot asap. I said yes, they ask for your ID, and you wait again. Then a sales agent calls your name sits down and talks a mile a minute the entire time with a LOAD of paperwork. It is impossible to read it all and to process it as adrenaline is rushing. Sales agent could not answer many questions - she kept saying ask the builder. The first thing the agent said to me was...Oh you actually want to live here as your home? Yea lady I am a first time home buyer, I invested in my PhD not in homes yet. It was like surprising to her....I get it....makes sense!

SO...from Phase 1 and 2 - prices have gone up MINIMUM $30,000. I wanted an end unit C2....it was 629,990 and C2 mod was 640,000 or something. Also, it is no longer 4 payments of $15,000 as a deposit, it is now that PLUS $20,000 as a final deposit. So 5 payments in total within 150 days = $80,000!!!!! OK so I sign all the paperwork because you have a 10 day grace period but I was lucky enough to bring my father who is a real estate broker, agent, real estate lawyer, and mortgage broker!!!! So as the sales lady was talking my ear off....my dad spotted 10 things on the spot wrong with the agreement but he said its ok, we have 10 days and the sales agent could not answer my questions.

Once you sign it all, they leave to make photocopies, take your cheques and say congrats and you go...at one point my sis in law told me that the sales agent who was with me, was asking another man something while pointing to our table and the man made a hand gesture like he didn't care. I am assuming here that she told him, I am with someone who has caught on to this crap (my dad caught on to stuff)....ok so one thing no one has mentioned in this forum....SO IF OCCUPANCY IS AUGUST 1, 2019....THEY HAVE THE RIGHT UNTIL DECEMBER 1, 2020 TO DELAY....but by AUGUST 1, 2019, there is NO RENTAL occupancy fees guys - that is normal usually BUTTTT - YOU HAVE TO HAVE 25% OF THE PURCHASE PRICE as your deposit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means I not only accepted the fact that the deposit is $20,000 more but by then I would need to put down $157,000 by the end of that which is almost double!!!!!!!!!!! READ THIS AGREEMENT WITH YOUR LAWYERS GUYS! It is so important. I feel so bad for people who have not caught on to it. I will NEVER buy with Sierra group and they totally messed with the wrong people as we have public jobs and could share this info with everyone. I am writing this as I do not wish for anyone to go through this ever. $157,000 down plus closing costs and lawyer fees...I rather buy a detached home! The sales lady could not answer these questions and told me to contact my lawyer and Sierra's lawyer - I did...and not negotiable so I am backing out...! The lady had the nerve to say to me that Mattamy homes asks for $120,000 now as deposits - well at least that is cheaper! Sheesh.

A few other things besides the water damage and trees falling being your responsibility...IT SAYS THAT....AIR CONDITIONING AND HEATER MAY BE RENTAL...that is unheard of. Now the maintenance fees are $150 a month - which town houses are doing now more - for snow plowing of private streets, etc....but on top of that add $80-$100 for rental fees for ac and heating units!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hot water tanks are always rentals anyway, but wow...they are taking any penny from you that they can.

Here is my 2 cents...I have never felt this angry before. I have done other pre con sites such as Minto, etc. All these builders are pretty much similar with playing around. First choice goes to family members of the employees and then openings for public of what is left with a higher price. My suggestion - WAIT. There is no way this is going to be sustainable. Just save more money to buy something already up.

As well, majority of the people in line were 90% South Asian, and the rest were Black, Chinese or White...a few each. Most buyers were South Asian. I mean it is diverse kind of. I feel bad if people blindly purchased because they are so screwed later.
I'm so sorry for what you had to go through. The 25% deposit was defintely a shocker. In one of the google review for Sierra Building Group there is a picture of a guy flipping off this development. You are not the only angry purchaser. I hope you find a much more beautiful and a better home.
Apr 30, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks...but glad I experienced it as it made me more aware of how bad builders can be...they sell to family and friends first to flip deals...then to public for insane prices. Never going with SIERRA Building Group EVER!!!! At least Mattamy is upfront and they say...it is $120,000 or what ever else down and no surprises. These guys changed things up to make a buck...hope they fail...feel sorry for buyers who bought and did not know this, do not wish them any ill will....but just never heard of a rental ac/heat unit on a freehold townhome...common elements/main fees were an after the fact thing...only hot water tank is normal to rent. These guys have written the agreement so vaguely that they can increase those fees, take away my front yard, delay until 2020, and the list goes on....NO PROTECTION here...rather buy where I am protected....money was not even the issue here for me but a 1285 sq ft town for $630,000 when only 2 months ago it was $530,000??? NO thanks.

I went back within the 10 days and got out right away. I saw MANY people doing the same. At least 5 people in the 30 mins I was there had backed out and that was a Wednesday evening at 6pm. Imagine the few days prior?

Vince also told me that my lawyer was a fool because we could have negotiated however my real estate lawyer is my uncle, and he called their lawyer....when their lawyer got on the phone, they said nothing is negotiable. Vince said we shouldn't have called the builder's lawyer...hmmmm then who should we negotiate with? Then if we do negotiate...lets just entertain this...we have to send amendments, then get approved...but we only have 10 days....all a plot....we said no thank you. Vince kept saying how 25% was not really the case...and he was talking nonsense and was rude....to the point where my father got up and said, we don't want this, we don't care, bye. Vince then went on about how if we had mortgage letter it wouldn't matter????? STOP CONFUSING US! I had a mortgage letter for up to a million dollar home....the agent the day of the opening never asked us for it once....Vince said that is something that needs to change....it was all confusing, weird, no explanations, just him getting annoyed at the people backing out because PEOPLE HAVE BRAINS!!! He said this common for all condo developers.....NOT TRUE.

ALL in all....guys....all lies, TRUST your lawyers...save your money for another development....these guys are a disaster!

It is now open to the public! NOTHING is sold out....hype is there for a reason....all created as a ploy...there are units left....and it may have been sold out....but then 10 days....almost all come back to back out....after reading fine print! Anyone can go in right now and buy!!!!
Last edited by SMcmehta on May 9th, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 30, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
Oh people buy for sure! Then people back out within the 10 days after reading the fine print!!! All this hype is created for a reason....to get people in....but it is all lies! There are TONS of units left.....open to public now....anyone can go in and buy.....hmmmm thought it was sold out???

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)