• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2017 7:23 pm
Nov 13, 2013
231 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
SMcmehta wrote:
May 9th, 2017 1:52 pm
Oh people buy for sure! Then people back out within the 10 days after reading the fine print!!! All this hype is created for a reason....to get people in....but it is all lies! There are TONS of units left.....open to public now....anyone can go in and buy.....hmmmm thought it was sold out???
Second that. Got an email yesterday saying "New Release This Weekend". I guess they will put all leftover/backedout units. After reading all these comments, I did'nt bother to RSVP.
Oct 18, 2009
2 posts
Markham, ON
I don't have much confidence in pre-construction units anymore unless the builder is a very reputable one. Imagine if the whole project falls through a few years in, and even if you get your principle back, you lose time and opportunity cost.

Check this article out: https://www.thestar.com/business/real_e ... mplex.html

Personal experience: I've dealt with Sierra before. Purchased a condo unit in their CathedralTown development up in Markham, and also experienced similar issues with the fine print. The fine print wasn't what truly turned me off, but it was more the way they dealt with their clients, the ambiguity, inconsistent office hours, and inability to contact them. 3 other friends and I decided to back out, so I made an appointment with them to sign and submit the rescission letter at the office on a Saturday at noon. The office was closed when we got there and we waited for over an hour, but they never picked up their phone and never showed up! Super sketchy group. Thankfully my lawyer said it counts as them having received it if i emailed or faxed to them on the 10th day, so I got out of it in time. Phew.

I just went on the Sierra website, and unless I'm blind, I don't even see the Cathedral Town project listed anymore. But if you do a quick google search, you'll still find it in many real estate sites. So strange. Any comments on that?
Apr 18, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
SMcmehta wrote:
May 9th, 2017 1:49 pm
Thanks...but glad I experienced it as it made me more aware of how bad builders can be...they sell to family and friends first to flip deals...then to public for insane prices. Never going with SIERRA Building Group EVER!!!! At least Mattamy is upfront and they say...it is $120,000 or what ever else down and no surprises. These guys changed things up to make a buck...hope they fail...feel sorry for buyers who bought and did not know this, do not wish them any ill will....but just never heard of a rental ac/heat unit on a freehold townhome...common elements/main fees were an after the fact thing...only hot water tank is normal to rent. These guys have written the agreement so vaguely that they can increase those fees, take away my front yard, delay until 2020, and the list goes on....NO PROTECTION here...rather buy where I am protected....money was not even the issue here for me but a 1285 sq ft town for $630,000 when only 2 months ago it was $530,000??? NO thanks.

I went back within the 10 days and got out right away. I saw MANY people doing the same. At least 5 people in the 30 mins I was there had backed out and that was a Wednesday evening at 6pm. Imagine the few days prior?

Vince also told me that my lawyer was a fool because we could have negotiated however my real estate lawyer is my uncle, and he called their lawyer....when their lawyer got on the phone, they said nothing is negotiable. Vince said we shouldn't have called the builder's lawyer...hmmmm then who should we negotiate with? Then if we do negotiate...lets just entertain this...we have to send amendments, then get approved...but we only have 10 days....all a plot....we said no thank you. Vince kept saying how 25% was not really the case...and he was talking nonsense and was rude....to the point where my father got up and said, we don't want this, we don't care, bye. Vince then went on about how if we had mortgage letter it wouldn't matter????? STOP CONFUSING US! I had a mortgage letter for up to a million dollar home....the agent the day of the opening never asked us for it once....Vince said that is something that needs to change....it was all confusing, weird, no explanations, just him getting annoyed at the people backing out because PEOPLE HAVE BRAINS!!! He said this common for all condo developers.....NOT TRUE.

ALL in all....guys....all lies, TRUST your lawyers...save your money for another development....these guys are a disaster!

It is now open to the public! NOTHING is sold out....hype is there for a reason....all created as a ploy...there are units left....and it may have been sold out....but then 10 days....almost all come back to back out....after reading fine print! Anyone can go in right now and buy!!!!

I cannot believe that Vince said the exact SAME thing to you that he said to me. What a bunch of clowns. So happy you backed out as well. Best of luck to you! A week after we backed out, we bought in Tottenham...new build 3,500 square feet...detached....$645,000. Definitely worth it.
Mar 25, 2017
147 posts
66 upvotes
SMcmehta wrote:
May 9th, 2017 1:49 pm
Thanks...but glad I experienced it as it made me more aware of how bad builders can be...they sell to family and friends first to flip deals...then to public for insane prices. Never going with SIERRA Building Group EVER!!!! At least Mattamy is upfront and they say...it is $120,000 or what ever else down and no surprises. These guys changed things up to make a buck...hope they fail...feel sorry for buyers who bought and did not know this, do not wish them any ill will....but just never heard of a rental ac/heat unit on a freehold townhome...common elements/main fees were an after the fact thing...only hot water tank is normal to rent. These guys have written the agreement so vaguely that they can increase those fees, take away my front yard, delay until 2020, and the list goes on....NO PROTECTION here...rather buy where I am protected....money was not even the issue here for me but a 1285 sq ft town for $630,000 when only 2 months ago it was $530,000??? NO thanks.

I went back within the 10 days and got out right away. I saw MANY people doing the same. At least 5 people in the 30 mins I was there had backed out and that was a Wednesday evening at 6pm. Imagine the few days prior?

Vince also told me that my lawyer was a fool because we could have negotiated however my real estate lawyer is my uncle, and he called their lawyer....when their lawyer got on the phone, they said nothing is negotiable. Vince said we shouldn't have called the builder's lawyer...hmmmm then who should we negotiate with? Then if we do negotiate...lets just entertain this...we have to send amendments, then get approved...but we only have 10 days....all a plot....we said no thank you. Vince kept saying how 25% was not really the case...and he was talking nonsense and was rude....to the point where my father got up and said, we don't want this, we don't care, bye. Vince then went on about how if we had mortgage letter it wouldn't matter????? STOP CONFUSING US! I had a mortgage letter for up to a million dollar home....the agent the day of the opening never asked us for it once....Vince said that is something that needs to change....it was all confusing, weird, no explanations, just him getting annoyed at the people backing out because PEOPLE HAVE BRAINS!!! He said this common for all condo developers.....NOT TRUE.

ALL in all....guys....all lies, TRUST your lawyers...save your money for another development....these guys are a disaster!

It is now open to the public! NOTHING is sold out....hype is there for a reason....all created as a ploy...there are units left....and it may have been sold out....but then 10 days....almost all come back to back out....after reading fine print! Anyone can go in right now and buy!!!!
I emailed the builder, not their lawyer. The email was responded by the builder's son, who capped levies(but not the development levy) and got rid of 25% down payment requirement. I emailed my mortgage approval letter in the following letter. You can also get them to give you an assignment approval so you can GTFO any time. Maybe they let some of us off the hook because we "purchased" them during Phase 1 ? I wouldn't pay $630,000 for a back to back townhome either, the risk was worth it for Phase #1 purchasers and even then we had to sacrifice things such as not knowing the size of of our backyards and a very vague contract. I heard the end unit of B2B are going for close to $700K LOL. That is how much the end unit with backyard and completed basement was going for then. They also stopped the bidding in the middle and announced that they were increasing the price of the units by $15,000 all of a sudden.

Mattamy Homes want $260K Deposit :(
Apr 30, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
ClarkMan wrote:
May 10th, 2017 11:38 am
Second that. Got an email yesterday saying "New Release This Weekend". I guess they will put all leftover/backedout units. After reading all these comments, I did'nt bother to RSVP.
exactly...got the same email....no thank you
Apr 30, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
italiana1987 wrote:
May 10th, 2017 4:22 pm
I cannot believe that Vince said the exact SAME thing to you that he said to me. What a bunch of clowns. So happy you backed out as well. Best of luck to you! A week after we backed out, we bought in Tottenham...new build 3,500 square feet...detached....$645,000. Definitely worth it.
Wow that is amazing!!!!! I am so glad I backed out also. Just got an email saying to rsvp for limited release of woodbridge park units - EVERYONE backed out!!!!! Gosh such a great price for 3500 sq ft. I just don't know if I can do that commute...but now a days do not have a choice!!
Apr 30, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
worldpositive wrote:
May 10th, 2017 6:20 pm
I emailed the builder, not their lawyer. The email was responded by the builder's son, who capped levies(but not the development levy) and got rid of 25% down payment requirement. I emailed my mortgage approval letter in the following letter. You can also get them to give you an assignment approval so you can GTFO any time. Maybe they let some of us off the hook because we "purchased" them during Phase 1 ? I wouldn't pay $630,000 for a back to back townhome either, the risk was worth it for Phase #1 purchasers and even then we had to sacrifice things such as not knowing the size of of our backyards and a very vague contract. I heard the end unit of B2B are going for close to $700K LOL. That is how much the end unit with backyard and completed basement was going for then. They also stopped the bidding in the middle and announced that they were increasing the price of the units by $15,000 all of a sudden.

Mattamy Homes want $260K Deposit :(
Interesting! I came with a preapproval letter to the opening and no one asked for it. That was the least of my concerns. Vince did say I should show it and get the same thing done but builder and their lawyer wouldn't budge - Vince said may be they would do 20% and I was like I do not need may be's....I am sure if you purchased in phase 1 - you only had to do $60,000, and the prices were way cheaper, etc. Anything after that was a hot mess I guess. Hope it works out! Good luck!
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
809 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
We were looking Tottenham 2 years ago and that ,3000 sq was going for 400 at that time. Omg
Mar 25, 2017
147 posts
66 upvotes
SMcmehta wrote:
May 10th, 2017 6:49 pm
Interesting! I came with a preapproval letter to the opening and no one asked for it. That was the least of my concerns. Vince did say I should show it and get the same thing done but builder and their lawyer wouldn't budge - Vince said may be they would do 20% and I was like I do not need may be's....I am sure if you purchased in phase 1 - you only had to do $60,000, and the prices were way cheaper, etc. Anything after that was a hot mess I guess. Hope it works out! Good luck!
They didn't ask anyone for a pre-approval letter on that day. It was all chaotic and done in a rush. They did say "if you have any questions or concerns e-mail us" and gave us an-email and a phone number. My lawyer almost had an heart attack after reading the contract. I felt betrayed and angry. Backyard size and front lot size didn't matter to us. Besides we wanted a house in and around that area. Everything else was going for close to 800K and up. They were also lot older. We had to pay $70,000 in deposit. Thanks and Good Luck to you as well.
Apr 30, 2017
7 posts
8 upvotes
Yea I hear ya! We wanted it a little into Woodbridge as it's right on Kipling and Steeles but we really just liked the urban look to be honest. Sq footage was wayyy to small. Now we are looking into same price range, double the size and along Brampton/Vaughan border! Hoping it will all work out!!!
Mar 25, 2017
147 posts
66 upvotes
SMcmehta wrote:
May 10th, 2017 9:04 pm
Yea I hear ya! We wanted it a little into Woodbridge as it's right on Kipling and Steeles but we really just liked the urban look to be honest. Sq footage was wayyy to small. Now we are looking into same price range, double the size and along Brampton/Vaughan border! Hoping it will all work out!!!
What is happening with the Tottenham ? You are not buying it anymore ?
May 10, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
I would just like to let everyone know, who is bashing this builder, that I purchased from them.

The sales staff was nothing but pleasant and helpful, I was also concerned about my closing costs and the builder capped them for me. The clause regarding the 25% down payment that everyone is complaining about, was also changed for me as I was approved with only 15% down. This clause can be changed if the purchaser provides the builder with a mortgage commitment letter showing they are approved for an 80%-90% mortgage. I also looked into the garbage dump and discovered this is located further east of this community. The address is also a Vaughan address and not the city of Toronto for those who are confused.

This market is hot and going no where but up, for pre-construction town homes, their prices are quite good.

Seems like everyone who didn't get an appointment slot is very angry and bitter.
Apr 18, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
Frank3030 wrote:
May 11th, 2017 3:56 pm
I would just like to let everyone know, who is bashing this builder, that I purchased from them.

The sales staff was nothing but pleasant and helpful, I was also concerned about my closing costs and the builder capped them for me. The clause regarding the 25% down payment that everyone is complaining about, was also changed for me as I was approved with only 15% down. This clause can be changed if the purchaser provides the builder with a mortgage commitment letter showing they are approved for an 80%-90% mortgage. I also looked into the garbage dump and discovered this is located further east of this community. The address is also a Vaughan address and not the city of Toronto for those who are confused.

This market is hot and going no where but up, for pre-construction town homes, their prices are quite good.

Seems like everyone who didn't get an appointment slot is very angry and bitter.
Nobody's bitter my friend....we purchased as well and had VERY unpleasant and ridiculous comments from that specific "builder" and their sales representatives. Best of luck to you.
Nov 13, 2013
231 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Frank3030 wrote:

Seems like you are the only one who is very happy about this purchase and have all information from builder in hand.

May builder got to know about this thread and his well-wishers are rising from nowhere to add +ve reviews, may be!
Mar 23, 2017
10 posts
9 upvotes
Frank3030 wrote:

I personally know of a friend that bought here and as soon as her lawyer read the contract asked her and additional friends of hers that bought to immediately back out.