• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2018 3:54 pm
[OP]
May 25, 2013
46 posts
94 upvotes
GTA

Work from home transcriptionist jobs

You may have seen these types of jobs advertised on the job boards. Does anyone have any personal experiences, good or bad, about this type of work? Thanks for your feedback.
5 replies
Aug 19, 2018
126 posts
112 upvotes
Tedious and low paying. That is mostly it.

There are many types of transcriptionists, but unless you are going into some specialized field with medical terms (Where you transcript radiologist reports, which require specific training, and is slowly being phased out due to voice recognition is more and more commonplace in radiology). Close-captions can also be a specialization, but you will need connections to get into. As you have to watch unreleased titles.

Overall, the less urgent and stressful it is, the less specialized it is, the lower the pay. You will have to be a very decent typist to earn minimum wage if you don't have any specialization.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4505 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
Transcription software like Dragon is getting more common so these types of jobs are disappearing quick.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6928 posts
3928 upvotes
Edmonton
All I can say is to never pay money to get a job. And limit the personal information you give out until you verify the entity requesting that information.

There’s lots of scams out there.

C
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9101 posts
1754 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 10:14 pm
Transcription software like Dragon is getting more common so these types of jobs are disappearing quick.
the problem with dragon is that you have to proof read important documents, a typical skilled typist/assistant can type faster then they proof read. plus dragon is very expensive (we demoed it a few years ago).
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3946 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
you mean a medical transcriptionist? They are getting less and less. i worked in Health Records for a few yrs and helped implemented voice recognition softwares for dictations ie: Dragon. and afterwards, we got rid of one person. You just need someone to re-read it if there is an issue. and if they do need a transcriptionist, they usually work at home as a PT after they finished their regular jobs.

For me i think it's a really boring job, you just sit there, listen to the person and type out the dictations.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)